There are 164 users in the forums

O-Line issue question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I remember in 2002 we had a lot off o line injuries and guys would shuffle almost week to week. Now we have oline issues and it is basically fill the empty spot with the back up.

I think the loss of A Davis has killed Kap probably more than anything. Jon Martin is very reminiscent of Chilo. They both play like turnstyles and whenever Chilo came in you knew the QB was gonna get killed, I think it was the Thanskgiving Baltimore game he came in for Synder and my first thought was, "we're gonna lose".

Why do we keep putting Martin at tackle?

Boone played tackle in college and was moved to Guard. I don't understand why Boone hasn't been moved to tackle and Looney or Jon Martin installed at guard? I get now Looney will probably be in at center with Marcus being injured, but I can't imagine Boone being any worse at tackle than Jonathan Martin.

And for those who try to tell me the coaches see these guys every day and they know what is best, remember that during the superbowl and the Rams game I would have ran the ball with Gore near the goalline.
[ Edited by nj9er on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM ]
Many in the Zone have been down on Boone sice he held out.

In their favor he has been lackluster at best at Guard.

IMO. he'd be an excellent tackle for us.

In the games he filled in spot duty as LT he gave a very good account of himself against some prtty good players.
No continuity and a bunch of injured guys with a rookie center. Bad things happen.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think we should settle this OL once and for all after the season.. Personally, I really like our OL, especially the young guys...

and if it was up to me, I really would have traded both Iuapati and Boone during the 2014 season.. I just don't think that we have any
more future w/them..

Davis is coming back, I really like Looney a lot.. even J-Martin, I thought that he was an upgrade over Snaider and I just see him continuing to improve.. then we have the young center from USC and and don't foget about the kid from Clemson..

I think Staley is on his way down, I really do... I think, that Davis and J-Martin should be our starting OT next year... Looney and Clemson Kid at OG.. was his name Thomas?? and then USC kid at center..

we can have Staley as the Swing OT and draft a couple of more back ups..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I think we should settle this OL once and for all after the season.. Personally, I really like our OL, especially the young guys...

and if it was up to me, I really would have traded both Iuapati and Boone during the 2014 season.. I just don't think that we have any
more future w/them..

Davis is coming back, I really like Looney a lot.. even J-Martin, I thought that he was an upgrade over Snaider and I just see him continuing to improve.. then we have the young center from USC and and don't foget about the kid from Clemson..

I think Staley is on his way down, I really do... I think, that Davis and J-Martin should be our starting OT next year... Looney and Clemson Kid at OG.. was his name Thomas?? and then USC kid at center..

staley is the only guy that gets a pass on the o-line this year for me.
If I had to grade our OL in the run game and in the passing game, the grade would be much higher in the run game. Even in years past, pass protection is not our long suit. Watching games around the league, there are numerous plays where there is no reason to escape the pocket. Our games? AT 2.5 seconds Kap is either on the ground or running for his life.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Pass protection sucks wind!

more future w/them..

Martin starting next year at tackle? Hasn't this year been painful enough?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
our team has not been able to pass protect for s**t no matter who the qb has been in the last three years,,,, now this year they have forgotten how to run block.
Originally posted by cciowa:
our team has not been able to pass protect for s**t no matter who the qb has been in the last three years,,,, now this year they have forgotten how to run block.

Actually it makes you wonder what the line think they are out there for. Solari, go stand in line with Morton and Roman.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Actually it makes you wonder what the line think they are out there for. Solari, go stand in line with Morton and Roman.

This.
Originally posted by DeUh:

This.

DeUh, give them cigars. I will read the last rites and CC can pull the trigger.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

more future w/them..

Did you think Kaep, Crabtree and Vernon Davis would suck this year after last year's performance???? Did you???

Martin still young, and I'm sure he's had to make some kind of adjustment playing for Miami then being thrown in to the fire here in SF...

The guy is talented, he graded high coming out of Stanford, no one expected him to be an All Pro this year, so maybe, just may be, he can dedicate himself during the off-season, feel at home, and be ready to complete for the starting RT position..

Guys can grow and be All Pro overnight, why don't you go see Steve Wallace and how bad he was before being told that he would be competing with Bubba Paris for that upcoming 1988 season..

We need to realize that some of this players are playing for next year already, with the disaster that happened this year, and next year COULD be a different year..
Someone call Derrick Deese and see if he's available.

more future w/them..

Did you think Kaep, Crabtree and Vernon Davis would suck this year after last year's performance???? Did you???

Martin still young, and I'm sure he's had to make some kind of adjustment playing for Miami then being thrown in to the fire here in SF...

The guy is talented, he graded high coming out of Stanford, no one expected him to be an All Pro this year, so maybe, just may be, he can dedicate himself during the off-season, feel at home, and be ready to complete for the starting RT position..

Guys can grow and be All Pro overnight, why don't you go see Steve Wallace and how bad he was before being told that he would be competing with Bubba Paris for that upcoming 1988 season..

We need to realize that some of this players are playing for next year already, with the disaster that happened this year, and next year COULD be a different year..

I am not sure what the point of your first line is. So I shall ignore it.

Martin was overdraft and bombed out in Miami. He got another chance here and for a short time it looked as though he may have potential. Anything can happen during an offseason but we are dealing with probabilities. The probability is that he is, at best, depth. I am aware of Steve Wallace, but I can name you dozens who didn't grow and become All Pro.

I certainly hope next year is a different year, but any player who stops looking at this year and focuses on next year is likely to find himself out of a job next year. Martin might, just might, get better and become workable depth. But we can draft better and the O line needs better. Much better.
Share 49ersWebzone