LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 217 users in the forums

If Jim Harbaugh leaves, who do you want as the next coach of the 49ers(All Coaching Rumors

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Jim Harbaugh leaves, who do you want as the next coach of the 49ers(All Coaching Rumors

Three words: Bring Back Mooch

[ Edited by theninermaniac on Dec 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Luck is the man, but he's no Peyton yet.

You have to think Gase probably has the easiest job right now co-coordinating with Peyton.

It certainly helps but if you look at their offense and the amount of times they have receivers running around completely wide open, it certainly points to the quality of the scheme. New England is similar, and they manage to do it with some very average to mediocre receivers.
McDaniels is a horrid head coach.

Gase or Hamilton could work.

Tomsula seems a lot like Singletary 2.0. Rah Rah guy. Don't want that at all.

What if Fangio leaves with Harbaugh? I could see Rex Ryan being VERY successful as a defensive coordinator replacement for Fangio.
Tomsula with morninwheg as OC. I think Marty is a great OC and I strongly question if he would ever get another HC shot based on his Detroit days. Could be a win-win situation, leadership of tomsula and potentially a long term OC.

Honestly tho I'm open to either one of our historic OCs (holmgren or shanny). IMO shanny can still get it done, his offense was fine he got stuck with a bad defense and a b***h diva qb in Washington. He also spoke glowingly about kap and I would love to see kap under shanny.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by jeffjtk123:
McDaniels is a horrid head coach.

Gase or Hamilton could work.

Tomsula seems a lot like Singletary 2.0. Rah Rah guy. Don't want that at all.

What if Fangio leaves with Harbaugh? I could see Rex Ryan being VERY successful as a defensive coordinator replacement for Fangio.

Fangio can't just leave. He's under contract through 2015, the only way he goes is if the new head coach does not want him around. I think its very likely that Harbaugh could snag Donatell to be his DC wherever he ends up next.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Fangio can't just leave. He's under contract through 2015, the only way he goes is if the new head coach does not want him around. I think its very likely that Harbaugh could snag Donatell to be his DC wherever he ends up next.

Forget he is signed on until then thanks!
I will also say this about Gase, he seems like the exact type of nerd to really dig into the old Bill Walsh archives like Harbaugh promised he would when he got hired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/sports/football/an-unconventional-path-to-scripting-the-broncos-offense.html

"As a junior in high school, he prepared flow charts, spreadsheets and broke down all the tendencies of our opponents on his own," said Rich Hulkow, who was Marshall High's football coach and athletic director at the time. "He was always in my office looking at film. He saved me a ton of work."

When he was the Marshall basketball coach, Dan Coddens once asked Gase to scout an opponent.

"He turned in an immaculate, exhaustive report with details on the opponent that were incredible," Coddens said. "I was shocked that a teenager could do that."

"I enjoyed the numbers of a sport," Gase said Tuesday as the Broncos prepared for Sunday's game with the Seattle Seahawks. "And there was something special about football, probably because there was so much time between games. I loved analyzing and planning for a game — 10 hours of work felt like one."
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He was on the 49ers staff in 2008.

Yes, he is a Mike Martz disciple, has a similarly aggressive mindset, loves involving RB's in the passing game but has been shoring up some of the weaknesses in Martz's offense, focusing more on an improved run game.....etc.

It's hard to tell looking at his increased willingness to run the ball and involve the tight end.

With that said, outside of the aforementioned reasons for choosing Gase, I like the fact that he is willing to adapt and change (less ego maybe?) and it may also show that he would be willing to keep our defensive staff in tact and more and less, leave them alone. We could become like the New Orleans Saints in the sense that Sean Payton is the head coach and runs the offense, but leaves the defense alone unless some major decisions are necessary. That is pretty much what we need for the 49ers, a bright offensive mind that will leave the defense alone.

I really wouldn't want a defensive coach. We have no need for help there and it's clear the defense can pretty much take care of itself. I would hope that a system is in place of developing some assistants to replace our positions coaches because I am honestly expecting Leavitt, Tomsula, or Donatell to be tagged as defensive coordinators any day now. I want our young guys to receive the same level of expertise and development on that side of the ball should they leave. It will take a forward thinking coach to put such a system in place. By all accounts, Adam Gase is that guy.
I'd prefer Hamilton, then Gase. I'd be fine if Gruden shockingly came back from broadcasting, but it's unlikely. Tomsula would be fine but the OC concern for him would be legit, and the media would have continued fodder to slam York/Baalke for not looking beyond their front door, and that would start the new regime with one foot in the PR grave.
One option I neglected that could also be an interesting one is Tom Clements, the OC of the Packers. Very QB oriented guy, played the position, has coached it for a couple decades, just like with Gase and McDaniels, he has an elite QB running the offense but he appears to have been doing a pretty good job and has a nice resume built up. He could be a good guy to work with Kaepernick and try to help him get his mojo back.

Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
I voted for Josh McDaniels. He is a great offensive mind and knows his way around the passing game and the run. I think he would be a good head coach/play caller on game day.

I like McDaniels in terms of his playcalling and offensive scheming, the downside is that apparently he was not well liked by the players in Denver and had a reputation of being an a*****e, very difficult to deal with. Coming off of Harbaugh and the issues with the front office, I don't know if they are willing to deal with someone that might even be more stubborn and prickly.

True, but at least McDaniels offenses are able to be successful. Also, unlike what we have now, McDaniels can make adjustments during the game if defenses counter his original game plan.
I voted for Josh McDaniels. He is a great offensive mind and knows his way around the passing game and the run. I think he would be a good head coach/play caller on game day.

I like McDaniels in terms of his playcalling and offensive scheming, the downside is that apparently he was not well liked by the players in Denver and had a reputation of being an a*****e, very difficult to deal with. Coming off of Harbaugh and the issues with the front office, I don't know if they are willing to deal with someone that might even be more stubborn and prickly.

True, but at least McDaniels offenses are able to be successful. Also, unlike what we have now, McDaniels can make adjustments during the game if defenses counter his original game plan.

Plus, I can't imagine him being more intense than JH.
See, all this talk about what new coaches can potentially bring is waaaaay more exciting than Harbaugh returning with Greg Roman next season. If you look at it from that perspective, I don't know why you would want Harbaugh back.
Oh man. These choices make me want to keep what we got!
Originally posted by captveg:
Plus, I can't imagine him being more intense than JH.

Its not even intensity, its just that he went around pissing people off, players and front office staff alike, that part worries me, otherwise the guy seems brilliant, but will the team support him, the players certainly seemed to turn on him fast in Denver...maybe he has learned and matured since then, who knows.

Former NFL punter Mitch Berger unloaded on former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "It felt like I was playing for an equipment manager or something, he was like a little punk," Berger said of McDaniels, who is now the offensive coordinator in New England again. "He came in there and said that he wanted to hear a lot from me, he wanted to know what I thought about situations. He wanted to take advantage of my veteran leadership . . . . He said all that. But as soon as I had a game that wasn't up to his standards, he wouldn't talk to you or look at you."

Berger also said that he "threw players under the bus in meetings," specifically mentioning receiver Brandon Marshall.
"I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less," Berger said. "He was just a guy you didn't care about."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/mitch-berger-unloads-on-josh-mcdaniels/
Share 49ersWebzone