There are 301 users in the forums

Are we headed back to the Dark Years??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with a lot of what Ray Ratto says here:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-demise-starts-whole-harbaugh-york-thingAnd

exerpt:

But it really does start with the whole Harbaugh-York thing. Harbaugh will not be in San Francisco next year because he thought coaching was only about coaching and nothing else, and York thought it was about coaching and a lot of corporate and political things, and because Harbaugh demanded on winning every argument and because York got tired of having to defer to his coach's tone-deafness. They are sick of each other because they let their strengths work against them rather than for them, because they were too prissy and persnickety to find solutions when making an enemy seemed so much more fun, and they both have justification for feeling that way.You may rest assured, though, that the next coach will not be as good as Harbaugh has been, and that's as good a bet as you will make this offseason. Just as York saved the franchise from the caricature of his father in his time, so did Harbaugh from the caricatures of Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary, and those are historical truths.

I also think there is a fatigue factor after getting so close in the last three years. Boone, Vernon and Brooks especially lost the drive. But I think Ratto is right that the central problem is with the egos of Harbaugh and York/Baalke - maybe not anyone's fault, just not a good blend of personalities.

Final edit: Dang. I meant to post this in another thread. Oh well, I'll leave it here even though it doesn't quite fit the topic.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Dec 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Exactly. People are comparing this team to the one that drafted Alex Smith. Give me a break, people, this thread is getting a little bit ridiculous. This is a team that has been struggling for consistency all season long and that includes playing time with key starters and a decline in some key contributors from previous seasons (Kaep, V.Davis, Crabtree, Gore). What it is not is devoid of talent.

There are some players I'm on the fence about primarily because of their production to contract ratios, including:
- Kaepernick
- Vernon Davis
- Michael Crabtree
- Alex Boone

Kaepernick isn't going anywhere, but there will be some much needed turnover in the off-season. I'm not sure what Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree have been smoking this season, but something will need to change between now and next season to justify their (perceived) contract values. Given his stinker of a year, though, Crabtree may be back on a 1 year deal. Perhaps now there might be more cash for Iupati's extension.

When the QB can't read a defense or look beyond his first read, receivers can't be productive. Plus Vern's been injured. To answer the subject question: Not if we can find someone to straighten out Kap. Tall Order? yup.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for ESWYoung08.
As long as we keep Fangio, I'm along for the ride. I have faith that our defense will be incredible next year and I have faith that Jed and Baalke's top priority will be bringing in someone that will work to our team's strengths instead of our weaknesses.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
No!
You know the truth is, WE'RE ALREADY BACK IN THE DARKNESS!!!!

Thanks Jim!!!!!!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by matt49er:
No way, this team, esp the D has way too much talent. This season has sucked, but for all the injuries (I mean look at the list, Willis, Bowman, I.Williams, Dorsey, Brock, Ward, Kilgore, A.Davis have all missed either all or most of the year). We get those guys back next year, plus we'll add in the IR rooks B.Thomas, Millard, Acker and Reiser. I think we'll see some of the guys who caused crap this year like Crabtree, Brooks and maybe even VD & Boone gone next year. I see us bringing back at least one of Cox/Culliver & having an even better D than we had this year next season. I also see the OL being better at pass protection with Kilgore in there and Iupati gone, Marcus Martin in his 2nd year etc. But most of all, the offensive philosophy will completely change and the next HC/OC will understand how to use Kap and will get him back to doing what he does best while developing what he's not so good at. I also think Baalke will figure out how to get a HR threat type WR in here either in the draft or FA.

Exactly. People are comparing this team to the one that drafted Alex Smith. Give me a break, people, this thread is getting a little bit ridiculous. This is a team that has been struggling for consistency all season long and that includes playing time with key starters and a decline in some key contributors from previous seasons (Kaep, V.Davis, Crabtree, Gore). What it is not is devoid of talent.

There are some players I'm on the fence about primarily because of their production to contract ratios, including:
- Kaepernick
- Vernon Davis
- Michael Crabtree
- Alex Boone

Kaepernick isn't going anywhere, but there will be some much needed turnover in the off-season. I'm not sure what Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree have been smoking this season, but something will need to change between now and next season to justify their (perceived) contract values. Given his stinker of a year, though, Crabtree may be back on a 1 year deal. Perhaps now there might be more cash for Iupati's extension.
I hate to break it to you, but while the defense is still pretty good the offense is now churning out points comparable to the 2004 squad. Last 7 games the average is 14.7 points scored, the 2004 team averaged 16.2.
Fangio must stay I could care less about Roman
Originally posted by vermonator:
Depends who the head coach is next season. If it's Fangio or Tomsula, I think the team is in for a very dark time. If it's Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgren, or Mike Shanahan, then we're probably ok. But never underestimate the incompetence of a narcissistic owner.

Holmgren is probably too old. Why didn't he coach Cleveland?
While I respect what shanahan has done, it's been years since he has done poop.
Gruden is intriguing if he has the drive. Think he'd want Kaepernick?
Originally posted by FlyerThanDelta23:
Fangio must stay I could care less about Roman
I really want to keep our D.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
You know the truth is, WE'RE ALREADY BACK IN THE DARKNESS!!!!

Thanks Jim!!!!!!

Yeah it's his fault Tomsula and Roman are backstabbers.
[ Edited by 9er2k on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]

That loss sucked for sure, but this all needs to stop. We still have a winning record. We can go to Seattle and punk those as*hats in their own house. NaVorro-freakin-Bowman has worked his ass off to come back and play for this team this year, and you all are quitting? Sad...
Going back to the dark years...thought of that just is just agonizing
Don't worry, John York is getting more involved.
Share 49ersWebzone