LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 431 users in the forums

Will 49ers Retire Frank Gore's Number?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will 49ers Retire Frank Gore's Number?

They could always open up the option of having a triple digit # on the jersey hahaha
We should just put him in the 49er HOF.....
I don't like retiring players numbers.

Just do what the Cowboys & Raiders do

Retire jerseys (Name + Number)

Keep the # available for future players

/thread
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Just do what the Cowboys & Raiders do

Retire jerseys (Name + Number)

Keep the # available for future players

/thread

This. How many great 88s have the Cowboys had?
I hope we do, don't think we will.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Since07:
Only numbers that should be retired are 16 80 and 42

Not at all. Way too many great pre-80s players that are just as deserving.

Just as deserving, huh? Riiiight.

Perhaps you've forgotten that those 3 are the greatest players of all time at their respective positions. Not trying to take away from the pre-80s guys, but there's no way you can actually argue that any of them are "just as deserving" as 3 GOATs.
He will.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Since07:
Only numbers that should be retired are 16 80 and 42

Not at all. Way too many great pre-80s players that are just as deserving.

Just as deserving, huh? Riiiight.

Perhaps you've forgotten that those 3 are the greatest players of all time at their respective positions. Not trying to take away from the pre-80s guys, but there's no way you can actually argue that any of them are "just as deserving" as 3 GOATs.

I'm a large Hall of Fame kinda guy. IMO, Joe Perry et al are just as deserving. I find s**tting on them by designating them unworthy just because you didn't see them play in person in the pre-Suber Bowl era shallow and lacking understanding of NFL and team history.
he's the franchise all time leading rusher ...his number will be put to rest eventually

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Isn't there a way to retire the number without permanently removing it from the pool of those available for the players?
  • cools
  • Veteran
I read somewhere that teams are trying to get away from retiring numbers, and instead honor players in another way
All time leading rusher in Franchise history... 21 will not be worn by another in Red & Gold again! The Truth!
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
All time leading rusher in Franchise history... 21 will not be worn by another in Red & Gold again! The Truth!

Seems like his stats alone are worthy of # retirement...too bad we lost the Super Bowl with him
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
It's not even a question. They 100% will, it's just a matter of how long they'll wait.

A better poll would be will they retire justin smith's #.

They still havent retired BY's 97. Nobody has been allowed to wear it since, so its coming, but the Niners sure do like to wait forever to retire a number.

I think they retire 21, 52, and possibly 74 when its all said and done. 53 is on the right track. I think 85 and 94 dont quite make it.

The problem with retiring NFL numbers is you have to keep like 70 numbers, and theyve already retired 10+.
Share 49ersWebzone