There are 89 users in the forums

SPEED RECEIVER PLEASE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by dj43:
When all we can do is cite 2 or 3 examples of when he has thrown a deep ball it only goes to show the lack of consistency.

To this point, defenses are betting that he cannot beat them with his arm...and they are winning.

A terrific play or two per game are not enough to offset the multiple times when he just does not display the consistency necessary to win.

Yes, a legit deep threat would be helpful but in order for that player to draw a safety, it must be demonstrated that he is a threat. Moss had already demonstrated that when he got here. A young player will have to prove they are that threat and Kap will have to demonstrate he can consistently make that throw.

Does those 2 or 3 plays cite our players lack of ability to get down the field or Kap's throwing ability? If you want to show me all of those open receivers that's he missing down the field I'd like to see it.

The receivers aren't a threat down the field and defenses know that. They're going to dare Crabtree to beat them deep. He can't do it. Anquan Boldin has never been a down the field threat. He's the muscular version of Wes Welker. All of his work is done from 10-15 yards out and he'll pick up RAC like crazy. Great receiver but not someone who stretches the field vertically.

Right now Kap is pretty much forced to methodically pick teams apart and that's what he can't do. It certainly doesn't help that the brand managed to go from a top 5 tight end to a pile of dog sh** in a year. Maybe some of that falls on Kap who's never really had the rhythm with him that Alex had.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm tired of the blanketing statements saying Kap can't do this or that. Until this season, we've relied on VD to be the deep threat. We've also had a run game to put us in good position on 1st and 2nd down. Those two things are non-existent this year and everyone blindly points the finger at the QB. Being on this board for the past decade, it's been the same blind hate for every QB that's started since Young.
Originally posted by dj43:
A speedy wide out is only helpful if the quarterback has the ability to throw a deep ball with enough air under it to allow the receiver to run under the ball and/or adjust to the ball so as to be able to make a play on the ball. We don't have a quarterback who can do that, hence, a speedy wide out is not the answer to this offense as it is currently constructed.
Speed also shows up in slants, square routes crossing routes and screens.
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
The pass protection was pretty good too...

So people think that in 2 years Kap forgot how to read defenses? He forgot how to go through his progressions?

If 2012 Kap had the 2014 offensive line, Alex Smith would still be our QB with Kap being let go in free agency.

Likewise, did HaRo forget how to call good plays? Neither of the two plays I showed were out of the pistol formation (read-option threat). Let's get our strong armed QB some speed and protection. Help him out a bit.

HaRoman's offense really thrives with two great receiving tight ends. Remember that Stanford had Fleener and Ertz. Missing on Vance really hurt.
Baalke and the coaches have not replaced Delanie Walker or Ted Ginn in two years.
well one of the guys I wanted just caught 90+ yard bomb from Big Ben against the Bengals....might clinch the game for them and get them into the playoffs.

all speed.
Do you guys really think that all these offense needs is some very fast receiver? This recieving corp may not be especially fast, but they are nothing to shake your head at. Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Lloyd, Davis. I think many QBs in the league would love to have those targets. A good QB would be able to move the ball with this team. And I know our OL has had some bad games in term of pass protection....but I'd say it's at least average.
Share 49ersWebzone