LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 270 users in the forums

Why can't we finish drives!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well since our personel is not going to change and neither is Kap, I put it on the coaching to get the most out of what they got. Expand the play book and get creative. They're just too damn predictable. They put in certain packages and it always gives the play away. I see things other teams are doing that we could easily be doing as well.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Simple, Kap is not great with his touch passes and in the red zone you need to be spot on in terms of accuracy and ball placement with your fades, but unfortunately this is arguably Kap's weakest throw.

ding, ding, we have a winner.

Fades aren't the only type of pass that works in the red zone.You throw slants, crosses, outs and swings. Not everything requires touch, not everything requires accuracy. A fair share of it depends on the receiver's ability to run the route properly, get open quickly, and make the catch.

His slant/cross to Crabs should have been caught.

I want to see more 3 step drops and quicker passing routes. Our recievers excel at YAC. It seems like every pass play is a 5-7 step drop and Kaep is back there trying to hang on until someone gets open. Need to mix it up. Every team knows to send pressure (sometimes they don't need to) on pass plays because they know he's gonna drop all the way back. Again this just brings us to the point that the playcalling is always trying to look for a BIG PLAY when its not necessary all the time.
Originally posted by 16to87:
  • Roman's play calling and conservative game plan
  • Kap's decision making and lack of properly reading defenses
  • Kap's long arm motion and stareing down recievers allows db's to break on the ball
  • Wasted time outs and lack of clock management
  • 3 points is a successful drive mentality
  • Taking the foot off the pedal when we take a lead

Agree with all. It seems if we get between the 7-10 yard line it becomes a given all we're getting is 3. Chicago's big receivers just blocked our small DB's out of the play like a rebound in basketball. Maybe get some retired power forward to show them the technique. Use Boldin more. We lost two rings targeting Crabtree on fades.
Originally posted by lamontb:
  • Roman's play calling and conservative game plan
  • Kap's decision making and lack of properly reading defenses
  • Kap's long arm motion and stareing down recievers allows db's to break on the ball
  • Wasted time outs and lack of clock management
  • 3 points is a successful drive mentality
  • Taking the foot off the pedal when we take a lead

This pretty much sums it up. At the end of the day this is JH's offensive philosophy. And it's not good.

It has won a bunch of games, but doesn't allow for any mistakes in any game on any Sunday.
Maybe mix up the personnel packages a little bit? Seems like most of the time we're in 12 or 22 personnel by the RZ. We keep things too crowded and congested. Maybe spread out a little more, stretch the defense horizontally, and open up some zones in the endzone.
We have a very conservative, archaic offense. We could get away with that when we had a top tier D. Now, the D is not as stout so the O has a smaller margin for error. I find the coaching staff does this offense no favors, but the players need to execute as well.
[ Edited by WeDidIt on Sep 19, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It's got to be the playcalling/scheme. 49ers have always had problems scoring in the RZ. I see the same issue at Stanford.
^
this!

it's funny the usual Kap hate says it's simple and it's all on Kap....lol. When we had these same issues with Alex and Roman.

Nothing has changed this year....or at least so far.... Someone is going to get fired or not kept around at the end of the season.

Harbaugh used to have this sign up.... I just wonder if Roman takes a different route back into the office.

Originally posted by LVJay:
The driving instructors and the driver
I think the license will be revoked at the end the season
This is why.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
The driving instructors and the driver
I think the license will be revoked at the end the season

Yup, maybe more than one

Still not finishing drives. This kills us come post season time..if we make it that far.
Because we're not very good offensively.
Watching Stanford lose to an inferior Notre Dame team using the the 49er offense...same thing. It is great if you have some talent, think Luck and Kaepernick who can make something out of nothing, but otherwise is just awful and scores about 50% fewer points than it should.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
We have had this same discussion for the last 4 years. During that time, Qbs have changed, WRs have changed and one fat thing has remained the same....it's amazing that people can't draw the conclusion to the niners redzone problems from that fact alone.
Share 49ersWebzone