LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 331 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?
  • NickV
  • Veteran
The bright side is that Vernon stepped his game up also. Became the #2 in a sense.

But it is concerning a little bit. Kyle should have really been able to come down with that bomb.
Be concerned that Crabtree is hurt. That is all.

Keep feeding the beast.
I think it's a legitimate concern. We need to find somebody else that can contribute.
I think Kyle Williams played well considering the situation. It was his first game back and he was asked to start for the first time in his career. His experience with Kap is limited to a handful of games last year and OTAs.

I know Williams is well hated on this board, but he needs a few weeks to prove the staff wrong.
No I do not think it overshadowed any problem.

I think boldin is a perfect WR for this offense, and when you have 2 guys that can not be coveted and catch 60%? Of the passes. And Kyle was OPEN on those 2 balls, just him and kap lacked timing come week 10 or so. O_O
Hopefully with our crew of misfits we can create miss matches for Kap to capitalize on
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We can do plenty of damage with Boldin and Vernon, but we need the others to take the pressure off them. As the season goes on I see Patton and Williams doing just that.
Once manningham and or crabs comes back, there will be a log jam of decent WR's on this squad. Boldin being boldin is a blessing and a huge stop gap. Once kap gets confidence in moore and williams this offense will be that much more potent. On the other hand, the only reason anybody not named Boldin is safe on this squad as a WR is only because of salary cap considerations. Moore and baldwin aren't really showing much. Patton gets a pass all season long. Williams gets some what of a pass because he has shown flashes during previous games. Other than patton, the ice is awfully thin for this group.
Not sure why we didnt see Patton. He'll be a reliable throughout the season.

Boldin is pretty much Crab + ON Gold Whey

dude is a f*cking animal

runs great routes, comes to/fights for the ball, great YAC ability to peace out on fools

I love it.
Originally posted by xela510:

GOOD f**kING POINT!!!!!

Did he even come in for ONE snap?
On NFLN's highlight show I actually heard something intelligent come out of Irvin's mouth (maybe it was Deion?). He said that Anquan was more like the TE for the Niners and VD was more the WR. There wasn't real analysis, he just kinda said it. Made me think that basically the team's receiver group (including TE's) is pretty versatile and somewhat interchangeable.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
GOOD f**kING POINT!!!!!

Saw him blocking on that big Kendall Hunter run. Didn't notice him other than that.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by xela510:

GOOD f**kING POINT!!!!!

He did. I think Kap tends to key in on guys he really really trusts. It will just take more practice reps....and his number to be called.
Share 49ersWebzone