LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 265 users in the forums

Is there something wrong with our training staff?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by spizzy:
But the injuries seem to consistent

We have been consistently healthy compared to other teams the previous 2 seasons and most of our free agents rave about our training staff. This is the culmination of 2 consecutive Super Bowl runs

2? Did I miss one?

Yeah I try to block out the "11" run too, but the fumbles did happen on that run
Not on the trainers - it's just football and every team has pre-season injuries and some more than others.

Better now than mid season.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Our trainers have been awesome. Hell, the prevailing theme the past few seasons is that the Niners have one of the best training staffs in the industry and that's a big part of why there have been so few injuries to starters during the regular season. It's just football.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no. either the guys are out of shape,, either they are working really hard to make the team and are over doing it,, or most likely,, s**t happens.
Must be the new stadium turf.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Must be the new stadium turf.

ah, that explains why jenkins always falls down at the line of scrimmage. i knew there had to be a logical answer. if there was not i would be tempted to call him inept
no. but i knew there'd be a thread like this when i came on after reading about cully's injury.
Originally posted by daragon:
There are injury prevention measure though. I hope these questions are brought up with the team.

This is what I'm thinking
Originally posted by daraceto6:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by spizzy:
But the injuries seem to consistent

We have been consistently healthy compared to other teams the previous 2 seasons and most of our free agents rave about our training staff. This is the culmination of 2 consecutive Super Bowl runs

2? Did I miss one?

Yeah I try to block out the "11" run too, but the fumbles did happen on that run

I was just wondering where I missed the 2nd Superbowl trip
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
No he is one of the best trainers in the league.

It's just bad luck....wouldn't read too much into it.
If we were in the middle of the season, how many of these injuries would cause the players to miss some games? Patrick,Bowman, Aldon, etc... Would they be missing playing time or is the coaching staff just being cautious cause its training camp and they have that luxury?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
It's just bad luck....wouldn't read too much into it.
of course this is the truth. we are not alone on this one,, its all over the league
Well, this is actually a valid and interesting thread.

There are two questions:

1) Can our training staff improve pre-workout dynamic routines to reduce the risk of non-contact injury?

2) Is our staff better, worse, or on par with their peers?

After a brief googling session, I've come to the conclusion that it's almost impossible to determine the actual state of injuries among NFL clubs.

There's plenty of stats, but lots of unreported injuries and little meaningful detail. Importantly there's no breakdown between contact and non-contact injuries -- ie between preventable/reduceable injurious events and those which are a part of the violent game.

Here's a great article on how teams ranked for the 2012 season with regard to injuries.

The snapshot conclusion -- the 9ers probably underreported the severity of injuries. We rank among the league lowest in out and questionable categories, but are *2nd highest* in the league in reporting probables:

http://deadspin.com/5976467/nfl-2012-which-teams-actually-had-injuries-and-which-teams-just-lied-on-the-injury-report

It's a good read.

What disturbs me is the prevalence of serious non-contact injuries among 49er players.

This is usually a sign that the a player is not prepared for practice, or not properly stretched and prepared for movement.

If a player is coming in off 2 hours sleep and partying, they are most at risk for the kind of cns malfunction that causes tears, strains and muscle pulls.

It's absolutely a trainers job, imo, to bring that to coaches attention and single out players for warm up only or some other non strenuous status designation.

A fine or other punishment is suitable imo.

Additionally, players that are put back in circulation TOO SOON are equally at heightened risk for injury.

Sorry, but I have to specifically point to Manningham on this one. I watched that replay five times and it was evident to me that his hampered mobility played a role in the severity of the injury he sustained. In retrospect, he just wan't ready to come back at that time, we took a chance, we rolled snake eyes, and we lost him.

Some of the injuries so far in camp are self inflicted wounds -- i.e. Kap breaking fingers with 90 mph canonballs.

But others may be preventable and we should strive our utmost to make sure that players are properly prepared for strenuous movement on practice day.

Does anyone know how the different player positions are prepared during a typical training camp day? How much time is devoted to dynamic flexibility and movement prep?

Here's a few other interesting sites:

http://thedailyviz.com/2013/03/17/charting-nfl-injuries/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/06/injury-rates-and-extended-season.html
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i really do not read anything into the tea leafs here, i think no one is to blame and its just football. at least we have a little surplus funds in case we need to sign a wide out maybe a corner and gulp grant for the pre season only. actually i think we do not need a backer, i think we got some bodies there to soften the blow of willis and his henchman in the pre season. we had a question mark about depth behind those guys anyway, may as well get them answered now
Share 49ersWebzone