LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 336 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can someone call Trent now?
Posted this in another thread. seems i was in the wrong thread.

Gordon is worth a late second. He simply is. I dont understand the mentality of stockpiling draft picks only for the sake of hoarding them away for draft day. As we know WR can sometimes be a crap shoot, and the likelyhood of finding a Gordon in the late second is not good. Why not hedge our bet so to speak and go and get Gordon right now, at a huge time of need. It simply does not make any sense not to. I understand his character issues. Its still well worth the gamble.

We need WR help now, and it is wreckless and careless to asume that Manningham and Crabtree will return to pre injury form. And even then, Gordon is an upgrade over Mannigham no doubt.

Even ignoring our needs this season, going into next season we know we have to address the position. we know that based on the holes we will have in FA. Why not address that issue now?

I could see if he had a high contract, that being an arqument, but he comes cheap.

This trigger should have been pulled last week. Its gonna take a couple weeks to get him on the same page with Kap, but the longer we wait the worse its gonna get. You simply cannot depend on WR's coming back 100% and contributing like they did when they are coming off injurys like Manningham and Crabtree. It they do its a bonus, but to depend on it is careless.

We spent a second round pick on a third RB. Your telling me a late 2nd is not worth the posibility of a WR that compliments Crabtrees abilitys extremely well going forward and is signed through 2015.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Young bucks leading the charge for more talent, I like it! Whether it happens,
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/10/8/4814302/josh-gordon-trade-rumors-browns-49ers-michael-crabtree

Seriously, this Josh Gordon trade story has been reported so heavily almost to a point now that all is left to do is for 9ers to make the deal. If 9ers had made the deal earlier before Gordon started really balling in every game, he might have been cheaper. Obviously, the route of keep claiming cut WRs has not worked. What we need are legit WRs and yes they do cost. You can't always expect to find gems in the rough. I don't know what Baalke and Harbaugh intend to do, all I know is without additional help, the current passing game or shall I say the complete non-existence of one will only continue. The choice is up to them.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/10/8/4814302/josh-gordon-trade-rumors-browns-49ers-michael-crabtree

Seriously, this Josh Gordon trade story has been reported so heavily almost to a point now that all is left to do is for 9ers to make the deal. If 9ers had made the deal earlier before Gordon started really balling in every game, he might have been cheaper. Obviously, the route of keep claiming cut WRs has not worked. What we need are legit WRs and yes they do cost. You can't always expect to find gems in the rough. I don't know what Baalke and Harbaugh intend to do, all I know is without additional help, the current passing game or shall I say the complete non-existence of one will only continue. The choice is up to them.

Well any time there's big rumors or multiple rumors of the 9ers either signing or trading for someone....it never happens.

Everyone's hopes and dreams of Josh Gordon just ain't gonna happen.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Posted this in another thread. seems i was in the wrong thread.

Gordon is worth a late second. He simply is. I dont understand the mentality of stockpiling draft picks only for the sake of hoarding them away for draft day. As we know WR can sometimes be a crap shoot, and the likelyhood of finding a Gordon in the late second is not good. Why not hedge our bet so to speak and go and get Gordon right now, at a huge time of need. It simply does not make any sense not to. I understand his character issues. Its still well worth the gamble.

We need WR help now, and it is wreckless and careless to asume that Manningham and Crabtree will return to pre injury form. And even then, Gordon is an upgrade over Mannigham no doubt.

Even ignoring our needs this season, going into next season we know we have to address the position. we know that based on the holes we will have in FA. Why not address that issue now?

I could see if he had a high contract, that being an arqument, but he comes cheap.

This trigger should have been pulled last week. Its gonna take a couple weeks to get him on the same page with Kap, but the longer we wait the worse its gonna get. You simply cannot depend on WR's coming back 100% and contributing like they did when they are coming off injurys like Manningham and Crabtree. It they do its a bonus, but to depend on it is careless.

We spent a second round pick on a third RB. Your telling me a late 2nd is not worth the posibility of a WR that compliments Crabtrees abilitys extremely well going forward and is signed through 2015.

Gordon minus the baggage is easily worth a 1st rounder. He is better than any receiver we'd find in the 2nd round for next year's draft and the fact that he actually has experience in the NFL and is a legit baller on a cheap rookie deal for the next two seasons...seriously, I'm sitting here wondering why this deal wasn't made earlier. If we land Gordon we wouldn't even have to worry about drafting a WR early next year in the first place and could focus on other areas. Baalke should've pulled the trigger after Patton went down and when the Browns initially announced they were taking offers for Gordon. Receivers have been dropping like flies and outside Boldin and VD, who else is consistently stepping up? *crickets*

I mean the FO is literally stacked with draft picks to trade to improve areas that need it during the season yet they're just continuing sit on them while the receiving core lays in shambles and expect Crabtree and Manningham, both of whom are coming off of tragic injuries, to return, pick up the slack and perform like they did pre injury. That's not only careless but it's just irresponsible IMO. And if that's their strategy, I expect disappointment.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM ]
we have the luxury of an extra 2nd. alex smith for tank carradine and josh gordon sounds like a steal to me. were not gonna use all those picks and trading up to get a talented rookie who is a crapshoot or trading for an established baller in his 2nd year with two more years of rookie contract to go sounds like a no brainer. do it!!! we want to win a superbowl this year, not come close and fall because of a lack of receiver depth
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we have the luxury of an extra 2nd. alex smith for tank carradine and josh gordon sounds like a steal to me. were not gonna use all those picks and trading up to get a talented rookie who is a crapshoot or trading for an established baller in his 2nd year with two more years of rookie contract to go sounds like a no brainer. do it!!! we want to win a superbowl this year, not come close and fall because of a lack of receiver depth

Hey I agree, and would be all for it, unfortunately Baalke is a tight ass when it comes to draft picks. I also think Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to be careful not to mess up the chemistry on the team by not bringing in head-cases. But I also would love it if the 9ers traded up for Jordan Matthews, that's who I really want as a 9er.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Hey I agree, and would be all for it, unfortunately Baalke is a tight ass when it comes to draft picks. I also think Baalke and Harbaugh are trying to be careful not to mess up the chemistry on the team by not bringing in head-cases. But I also would love it if the 9ers traded up for Jordan Matthews, that's who I really want as a 9er.

I don't disagree with draft prospects like Jordan Matthews, but that is irrelevant at this juncture. That is next year's draft and yes the WR class is supposed to be very promising. And I am sure even if we were to use up one 2nd round pick for Gordon, we would still have enough draft ammo to trade up for Matthews or whoever we wish to target in the 1st round.

However, what we are talking about here is to try to re-start our passing game for the success of the 9ers in this current season. This has to be the priorty. Whichever draft prospects we wish to add only concerns the 2014 season.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well any time there's big rumors or multiple rumors of the 9ers either signing or trading for someone....it never happens.

Everyone's hopes and dreams of Josh Gordon just ain't gonna happen.

Would I be surprised if the Gordon's trade doesn't go down ? No, not at all, this is almost what we have come to expect. May be Baalke will try to sign other FAs again, but even then I doubt that would happen and a viable solution. For one, there are hardly any FAs out there that is worth signing anymore. Collie has been signed by the Pats, Hawkins has been signed by the Chargers and even Williams from the Seahawks has been claimed by the Jaguars.

But, don't forget when 90% of the posters here said there was no way in hell Ballke would cut or trade AJ Jenkins after 3 regular season and 8 preseason games, Baalke then admitted to his own mistake and still pulled the trigger to trade away Jenkins to the Chiefs for Jon Baldwin. So, who knows ?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Gordon minus the baggage is easily worth a 1st rounder. He is better than any receiver we'd find in the 2nd round for next year's draft and the fact that he actually has experience in the NFL and is a legit baller on a cheap rookie deal for the next two seasons

There is no Gordon minus the baggage.

He has been in the league for 19 games. He has 68 receptions for 1,108 yards. That is pretty good.

In that same period of time, he has got himself one-step away from a mandatory minimum suspension of one year.
That is just frigging terrible. In addition, there seems to be problems with his work ethic and his attitude in general.
As I understand it, he came into the league with problems, and at this point he does not seem to have corrected them.

Trading for him may be or may not be the right thing to do, but the truth of the matter is the key question is his head, not his football skills.

Right or wrong, I would not give up a second or third round pick for him.
He has dug himself into a permanent and major hole, and I do see any indication that he is willing to stop digging.

The team will make its decision. I am glad that I am not the one who will be making it.
Anyone else see Gordon in red and think Flash Gordon lol
Patrick Willis Michael Crabtree and our 1st and 2nd round pick for Calvin Johnson

Boom
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Patrick Willis Michael Crabtree and our 1st and 2nd round pick for Calvin Johnson

Boom

i wouldnt trade willis for anyone.
I'm starting to warm up to the Commissioner Gordon trade. A top flight WR to go along with Crabs, Boldin and Super Mario would make it a truly legit SB run. A late second rounder?? So be it.
Share 49ersWebzone