LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 214 users in the forums

Is Randy Moss a late season secret weapon ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
COMMENTARY | Fans who gushed with excitement following the free agent signing of Randy Moss have found little to remain optimistic about regarding the future Hall-of-Famer through four weeks of the 2012 season, despite the San Francisco 49ers' success and 3-1 record.

That's because Moss has not been a big part of the offense after being highly-regarded as the team's best receiver throughout training camp. His paltry numbers -- eight catches for 88 yards and one touchdown -- and limited snap count through four games suggest that he's not a major part of the team's plans. Moss has played just 80 snaps in regular season action with the 49ers.

According to NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal, Niners' head coach Jim Harbaugh is not limiting Moss' snaps in order to keep his legs fresh for later in the season, so there goes that theory out the window.

What then, is his purpose in San Francisco, and how does he fit in with this particular team? Is he supposed to be an inspirational leader? Hardly. If the coaching staff isn't planning to 'unleash' Moss at any point this season, then perhaps they would be better served to work their No. 1 pick, A.J. Jenkins, into the mix and get him some reps if he's going to be a part of the future.

Despite Moss' willingness to take on a reduced role, it's only a matter of time before he does something to undermine the team or that could become a distraction. For a team as focused as the 49ers, that can only prove to be detrimental to the progress of a group that has moved steadily forward since the start of last season.

If it's security the team is looking for in the event of an injury at wide receiver, then Moss is a great contingency plan. The trouble is that no one knows how long he'll be satisfied as a mere role player.

The 49ers struggled mightily with the vertical passing game in 2011, and in 2012, they haven't improved in that department, ranking 30th in passing yards per game with an average of 179.2. Moss was thought to add to that dynamic and give the team a legitimate downfield threat. But at this point, he's only been a decoy. What are the 49ers waiting for?

Apparently, nothing -- absolutely nothing.

I admit , I guess I was one of the fans that was complaining about Moss not getting passes thrown his way , but then I realized ..we are a "run first team" , and VD and Crabtree also aren't putting up fantasy numbers either , but the most important thing is , WE ARE WINNING !!!

I'm going to shut my trap ,and have complete trust in our coaching staff

but it's articles like this, that stirs up the pot , Moss has not been openly complaining about his reduced role , not yet anyway ...but I hope the coaching staff at least throws him a bone soon , maybe a deep strike down the sideline will settle down all the talk about Moss not having a huge role with the offense, and satisfy the fans that are yearning for a long bomb to Moss

GO NINERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM ]
f**k No , Alex can't throw 65 yards ! get over it !
Originally posted by cNiner:

I cant remember the last time a 49ers QB threw that long of a bomb ...65 yards ...WOW ....I was thinking maybe a 25 yard shot , we all know Alex can do that .
No. He is old and just not that great anymore. We may connect on a big one eventually, but it will not be common.
Yes.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
IDK about moss, but I do think that's the case with LMJ.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
No. He is old and just not that great anymore. We may connect on a big one eventually, but it will not be common.

He was pretty close and almost hauled in that long bomb from Kaep , with three defenders on him at that , had he caught that for a TD , fans would be in an uproar for more deep strikes to Moss ...but on that one play he was targeted , he showed he still has the skills to go deep
maybe we should pair randy moss with aj Jenkins. two fast receivers running around, one of them is going to get open.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cNiner:

He can't even throw 40 yards.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
"According to NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal, Niners' head coach Jim Harbaugh is not limiting Moss' snaps in order to keep his legs fresh for later in the season, so there goes that theory out the window."

I call BULLSH*T!!!

Do you really think that JH is going to come out and say, "why yes, we are trying to keep Randy fresh for the post season!"

• Nes49
  • Veteran
I was thinking this as well. Randy is 35+ & I have to assume that down the road, he will be utilized more. Keep him fresh till are (If things go accordingliy) our playoff/superbowl run. Teams still triple cover him & U don't ideally wanna throw into triple coverage.
Relax people. We haven't even INSTALLED deep packages yet...still 30th in pass protection. 3 new WR's (#1 in dropped passes). Once the OL starts pass blocking consistently, the WR's and Alex are clicking with chemistry, you'll see Roman start to install the deeper WCO packages and you can BET, Randy will be a big part of that. Until then, use him as we need him, teams still have to respect him b/c one catch can mean 7 points and he is opening up a ton underneath (see first down production and the yards we are getting on these). HUGE IMPROVEMENT!
no idea
We're 3rd in team rushing and 3rd in overall team defense...that's what will carry this team to a championship, not one specific player...especially if you're talking about a 35 year-old WR who didn't play at all last year. Moss is just one piece to a much larger puzzle who will eventually contribute in key moments, but his production (or lack of) will not play a huge part in the team's success. That's just unrealistic and it's not how this team is built.
I hope so............having a QB like Smith doesnt help his cause one bit...............We can only hope he isnt getting frustrated by this plain jane offense & knows that come January they might look his way more often
Share 49ersWebzone