There are 610 users in the forums

Steve Young's Greatest TD Run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this because I know everyone points to the run vs. the Vikings as his signature run. But this one is my favorite of all time

I wish Alex moved that well in the pocket. Not that he's a statue by any means but Steve's drops and how he stepped up in the pocket were superb! I like Alex and all but dang I miss having one the leagues elites behind center. Lets go Smitty! I believe and expecting no less than 4000 yards 25 TD's with no more than 10 int.
Both runs were very similar. Steve had the speed, if he can make the ankle breaking cuts he might have been a good RB. He can run in college but playing in that bad Tampa team hone his skill in running out from the pocket. Steve was good throwing the ball in college too but couldn't progress under that terrible Tampa offense until he learned further from Walsh and watching Joe.
Spamm face
Great run, but the one against the Vikings is better, IMHO. He broke more tackles, was stumbling, almost fell to the turf...and Lon Simmons' call was awesome. It was a game-winner against their #1 ranked defense, too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d8205e797/Young-s-49-yard-TD-run
How insane is it that we got to watch, not one, but two Hall of Fame QBs. That run from 81 to 98 will probably be never matched by another team again. Some teams don't ever have one HoF calibur QB, we had two back to back.

I know Montana will always be the greatest 49ers QB, but I really don't think a lot of people appreciate what we had in Young, and it goes to show how far ahead of everyone else Bill Walsh was to pluck him out of Tampa.
Right on...Joe was nimble, deadly accurate and exuded a quiet confidence in the huddle. Steve was a warrior...could beat you with his arm and legs. He was more fiery than Joe, but both were great QB's, and richly deserved their 1st ballot HOF.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by linkboy:
How insane is it that we got to watch, not one, but two Hall of Fame QBs. That run from 81 to 98 will probably be never matched by another team again. Some teams don't ever have one HoF calibur QB, we had two back to back.

I know Montana will always be the greatest 49ers QB, but I really don't think a lot of people appreciate what we had in Young, and it goes to show how far ahead of everyone else Bill Walsh was to pluck him out of Tampa.
The Rams had two Hall of Famers Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin, they over lapped more than Montana and Young and split playing time when they both were on the team. I don't think anyone else had back to back HOFers.
SY8
Vikes.

But both great.

Vikings run is still better, just because Steve Young tripped on his own shoe laces
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i would have traded him for derrick thomas but thats a whole other story, back to topic, his most insane run was where he ran around in a pre season game without a helmet
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would have traded him for derrick thomas but thats a whole other story, back to topic, his most insane run was where he ran around in a pre season game without a helmet
You are now dead to me.

Good day, sir.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by cciowa:
You are now dead to me.

Good day, sir.

lol, see the Vets thread
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
steve young is my man crush
Share 49ersWebzone