LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 278 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, instead of removing the problem, solve the problem, cause he could easily go up to hippie land Seattle, and Pete Carroll will be controlling his anger with 'mood beads' or some s**t, and win a f**king Nobel Peace Prize.

Cause heck, we sure f**ked it up the first time... gifting Dallas a dynasty...

The Minnesota trade did more to gift them a dynasty than the Haley trade.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
LOL I remember when GB was plotting Aldon's demise on their hokey fan site, so they could pick him up (since everybody in GB is a f**king drunk).

Yes. They are hypocrites talking about enough is enough and calling us classless. Well they got Jolly from prison and Colt Lyerla?? We ain't got nothing and nobody touching those two dudes!

Exactly why all the fans who at the time were demanding Aldon to be cut were crazy. Yeah, let's cut an elite pass rusher so some other team can snatch him up and watch him dominate the league in another uniform. No thanks, I like to win football games.

Yeah, instead of removing the problem, solve the problem, cause he could easily go up to hippie land Seattle, and Pete Carroll will be controlling his anger with 'mood beads' or some s**t, and win a f**king Nobel Peace Prize.

Cause heck, we sure f**ked it up the first time... gifting Dallas a dynasty...

Ughh...this. Siefert is on record saying that was his biggest regret. If not for that move we'd be talking about quest for 9, and not quest for 6.

Yep
Dumb move by seifert for sure.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

The Haley trade put the Pukes over the top and simultaneously weakened us. Trading Haley was stupid enough. Trading him to Dallas was retarded.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

The Haley trade put the Pukes over the top and simultaneously weakened us. Trading Haley was stupid enough. Trading him to Dallas was retarded.

That's why George isn't in the NFL hall of fame and Walsh is.
Agreed. I'm glad the 49ers had the common sense to stick by him, even with all the media vultures talking bad about the organization and trying to pressure us into releasing him. We just said screw what everyone else thinks, Aldon is a great player and a good guy at heart, we're sticking by him.

I hear that, the 49ers spread to him some love, I just hope he looks at these things seriously and truly put these happenings behind him. I think this kid can turn into a well rounded mature man yet, I know Reggie White was part of our rival on the field, but I wish he was around to guide him or someone like even Cris Carter as this kid really needs a mentor to get him through these experiences. I truly wish Aldon Smith the best.
Originally posted by buck:
The judge noted that Smith has no criminal record involving violence, but warned the 24-year-old football star that if he violates any of terms of his probation, he will be sent to jail for 11 days.

Prosecutors said Smith didn't receive special treatment in the case.

"In the end, we treated Aldon like any other person in similar circumstances," Santa Clara County District Attorney Brian Buckelew said. "We're optimistic that the punishment will be sufficient to get him on the right track."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11233181/aldon-smith-san-francisco-49ers-do-part-work-crew

So anyone in Santa Clara County who accidentally obtains a gun which does not precisely conform to each and every minor technical, mechanical specification of California law faces FELONY charges, even though the legislature says it could be considered misdemeanor behavior. SMH.

I hope Aldon spends at least some of his money to support whoever runs against the Santa Clara County DA in their next election.

Aldon didn't get special treatment, but the treatment he got was overly harsh and politically motivated, not based on any sense of justice. A sad, sad example of how a prosecutor's office should behave. They came off as spineless, mindless, and unreasonable.

Think of how many normal, everyday people could have their lives adversely affected because of prosecutors like the one involved in Aldon's case. An ordinary, middle class businessman goes to Phoenix and, while there, buys himself a new hunting rifle. While on a hunting trip back home in California, he gets pulled over and the cop cites him for an illegal weapon. If he's from Santa Clara County, he's suddenly a felon, and likely to lose his job, his income, his house and suddenly becomes a homeless man with no family. All because the Santa Clara County DA's office won't consider reducing the charge to a misdemeanor, ever, for anyone or in any case.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
The judge noted that Smith has no criminal record involving violence, but warned the 24-year-old football star that if he violates any of terms of his probation, he will be sent to jail for 11 days.

"In the end, we treated Aldon like any other person in similar circumstances," Santa Clara County District Attorney Brian Buckelew said. "We're optimistic that the punishment will be sufficient to get him on the right track."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11233181/aldon-smith-san-francisco-49ers-do-part-work-crew

So anyone in Santa Clara County who accidentally obtains a gun which does not precisely conform to each and every minor technical, mechanical specification of California law faces FELONY charges, even though the legislature says it could be considered misdemeanor behavior. SMH.

I hope Aldon spends at least some of his money to support whoever runs against the Santa Clara County DA in their next election.

Aldon didn't get special treatment, but the treatment he got was overly harsh and politically motivated, not based on any sense of justice. A sad, sad example of how a prosecutor's office should behave. They came off as spineless, mindless, and unreasonable.

Think of how many normal, everyday people could have their lives adversely affected because of prosecutors like the one involved in Aldon's case. An ordinary, middle class businessman goes to Phoenix and, while there, buys himself a new hunting rifle. While on a hunting trip back home in California, he gets pulled over and the cop cites him for an illegal weapon. If he's from Santa Clara County, he's suddenly a felon, and likely to lose his job, his income, his house and suddenly becomes a homeless man with no family. All because the Santa Clara County DA's office won't consider reducing the charge to a misdemeanor, ever, for anyone or in any case.
The highest charge is a felony...like most charges they scare you into thinking its going to be the highest charge they can give..then when you go to court they lower the charges fine you and you're on your way.

I knew they would not charge him felonies unless it was his 2nd to 3rd charge.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I feel for you. I have friends in Yerington Nevada that love to hunt. I think the big difference is here in calif - the biggest cities here are compacted and folks are living practically 100 people per square feet in some instances. You shoot your rifle in the city, it will go though a couple of houses and some closets and kitchens.

In Nevada, you'll be lucky if you hit *anything* remotely alive. 99.9% of the time you will hit either rocks or dirt. That difference, I think, makes California more strict in gun laws than most states with wide open living space. Not siding with the liberals, not at all, just observing that even in calif, the compacted coastal and inner cities are liberal whereas the wide open San Juaquine Valley and mountainous regions are heavily conservative.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The highest charge is a felony...like most charges they scare you into thinking its going to be the highest charge they can give..then when you go to court they lower the charges fine you and you're on your way.

Sorry, but the facts of Aldon's case do not fit with your post. The DA charged Aldon with THREE felonies, and REFUSED to "lower" anything.

Hence the need for Aldon to "plea to the sheet"--to all the charges against him so that the judge could step in and lower all the felonies to misdemeanors. The DA clearly only offered a "plea bargain" to Aldon that would have required him to plea to at least one FELONY gun charge.

Then the prosecutor steps back and pats himself on the back for not giving Aldon any "special treatment." Fact is, Aldon did get "special" treatment from the DA, especially harsh treatment, because (gasp) there were GUNS involved.

The reasonable thing to do from the start was to take into consideration the nature of the violation--technical, mechanical variance with some pretty confusing California laws that do not match up with the laws of other states. Its not like Aldon was buying guns in Arizona and bringing them to California deliberately in violation of the law. It was a mistake.

If the judge had not been willing to step in and reduce the charges to misdemeanors, Aldon would have had some difficult choices to make, which could have cost him a lot, one way or the other.

As it was, making Aldon plea to the sheet made people like Tim Kamakazi scream and holler about what a terrible, horrible, bad guy, Aldon is--a "convicted felon"--and how he should be tarred and feathered and suspended forever. There for awhile, it sounded like a lynch mob mentality.

Thank God for Jim Harbaugh and his leadership.

And it all goes back to the DA's lack of reasonable judgment, lack of any willingness to do the right thing irrespective of any political ramifications. Sad.

Does a work team mean like, he'll be picking up trash on the side of the road type stuff?
  • buck
  • Veteran

I think that the California gun laws are stupid. Diane Feinstein from SF and the Bay Area has been for years one the leading national anti-gun legislators.

Funny thing is that she has a permit to carry, and did regularly carry, a concealed weapon. She also worked to make sure that getting a concealed-carry permit in California was very difficult. Talk about hypocrisy.

But, back to Aldon. Aldon screwed up by owning guns that were illegal in California. No use in attempting to ignore that.

How do one accidently obtain a gun? Did Aldon buy the guns by accident?

Seriously, if you own a gun or are thinking of purchasing a gun, it is up to you to make sure that the gun is legal--which is to say that it is up to you to make sure that it conforms precisely to each and every minor technical and mechanical specification of the law.

California has two laws that cover the specifics of the Aldon's three rifles. One of the laws in a felony, and the other is a misdemeanor.

The existence of the misdemeanor law provided the judge with the legal basis for lowering the charges.

You are right about the treatment of Aldon was overly harsh.

Charging Aldon with three felonies was unfair and a mistake. The judge made the proper corrections.

The next step is a ruling from the league. Prior to the sentencing I felt that Aldon should receive a minimum suspension.

After the sentencing, I re-examined my view and changed my mind.

Aldon has, in my estimation, paid for his errors in judgment. From what I can see, Aldon has taken, and is taking the steps required to turn his life around.

The 49er stuck with Aldon. The next step is to extend his contract. This should happen sometime before the beginning of the season next year. Locking Aldon up for the rest of his career should be a 49er priority.

Sorry, but the facts of Aldon's case do not fit with your post. The DA charged Aldon with THREE felonies, and REFUSED to "lower" anything.

Hence the need for Aldon to "plea to the sheet"--to all the charges against him so that the judge could step in and lower all the felonies to misdemeanors. The DA clearly only offered a "plea bargain" to Aldon that would have required him to plea to at least one FELONY gun charge.

Then the prosecutor steps back and pats himself on the back for not giving Aldon any "special treatment." Fact is, Aldon did get "special" treatment from the DA, especially harsh treatment, because (gasp) there were GUNS involved.

The reasonable thing to do from the start was to take into consideration the nature of the violation--technical, mechanical variance with some pretty confusing California laws that do not match up with the laws of other states. Its not like Aldon was buying guns in Arizona and bringing them to California deliberately in violation of the law. It was a mistake.

If the judge had not been willing to step in and reduce the charges to misdemeanors, Aldon would have had some difficult choices to make, which could have cost him a lot, one way or the other.

As it was, making Aldon plea to the sheet made people like Tim Kamakazi scream and holler about what a terrible, horrible, bad guy, Aldon is--a "convicted felon"--and how he should be tarred and feathered and suspended forever. There for awhile, it sounded like a lynch mob mentality.

Thank God for Jim Harbaugh and his leadership.

And it all goes back to the DA's lack of reasonable judgment, lack of any willingness to do the right thing irrespective of any political ramifications. Sad.
How doesn't match up ?

it was all a show..the Judge and Aldon's lawyers already had an agreement and is why Aldon pleaded to the 3 Felonies...otherwise it would have been self suicide to accept the felonies.

You and I can get charged for the same thing and walk away with misdemeanors with or without Lawyers
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Does a work team mean like, he'll be picking up trash on the side of the road type stuff?

That is one of the common tasks giving to these work details. I have done that and it is no fun.

• buck
  • Veteran
How doesn't match up ?

it was all a show..the Judge and Aldon's lawyers already had an agreement and is why Aldon pleaded to the 3 Felonies...otherwise it would have been self suicide to accept the felonies.

You and I can get charged for the same thing and walk away with misdemeanors with or without Lawyers

I do not know about you, but......

If it had been me, I would have gotten three felony charges. The judge would not have reduced the charges. I would have been sentenced to the max time possible in prison.

Share 49ersWebzone