LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 272 users in the forums

Tony Jerrod Eddie

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seems like a good thread to top.
TJE really seemed to improve as the season progressed.

I look forward to more improvement.

With the DLine injuries TJE, Dial, Tank, and the rest will get more game experience especially in pre-season.

Hopefully, they'll all emerge the better for it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Thanks for pointing that out.
As others said in the thread, Tomusla is the man.

Tomsula is something special.

In fact, our defensive coaching staff seems to be exceptionally good.

I agree. TJE, Ian, Dobbs- all good players, all UDFA. I think That's the difference between us being an average team and being in the top 4 every year. Those UDFA's help conserve or recover from bad or mediocre drafts like in 2012. It's very rare for any UDFA to break into the starting line up. But we have a lot that have made a huge difference for us. That is all on the coaching staff and the front office.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree. TJE, Ian, Dobbs- all good players, all UDFA.

Have to disagree about Dobbs. He's barely good enough to be on the team IMO. In fact, at 1 million dollars this season, I think he'll probably be cut before the star of the season (unless his services as a TE are all that important).

I wouldn't be surprised to see TJE start at NT at the beginning of the year (unfortunately).
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree. TJE, Ian, Dobbs- all good players, all UDFA.

Have to disagree about Dobbs. He's barely good enough to be on the team IMO. In fact, at 1 million dollars this season, I think he'll probably be cut before the star of the season (unless his services as a TE are all that important).

I wouldn't be surprised to see TJE start at NT at the beginning of the year (unfortunately).

He probably will play a few snaps there, but I think he will be too beat up over the course of the season if we play him there too much. Mike Purcell has his best chance to make the roster.
This guy is underrated. TJE is going to turn some heads this year. I think he is a better DE than a NT but crap happens.
Was very pleased with his play last year. Would much rather him as a DE. He's a little too light for DT , but he can fill in in a pinch
  • thl408
He has a chance to make a name for himself. Another pending UFA hungry for that next contract and now he has a chance to put himself on film in a big way. He has got to be excited for the opportunity.

Here's a TJE highlight

3rd & 12
HOU: 3 verticals to attack cover2 + mesh concept over the middle.
49ers: Nickel - cover4, zone blitz

49ers with red will rush the QB. TJE playing DT.

TJE starts off rushing the QB.

With the 49ers in quarters coverage, any vertical route is defeated. TJE has quickly dropped back to take away any hot reads over the middle. Shaub is mid windup, throwing to the mesh concept.

This is no cheapo deflected-in-the-air INT. TJE shows some hands.

Perfect defensive coverage call against this play. Cover4 to take away all deep routes, Reid attacking downhill (robber) + TJE dropping back to take away anything directly over the middle.

Makes the best of an opportunity. TJE 6 yard INT return.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He was 301 lbs coming out of college couple of years ago, I wonder what he weighs now... bigger and stronger, he, Dial and (maybe Purcell) can handle NT duties, right?
  • thl408
The CAR goal line stand was a highlight for him.

3rd & Goal

49ers playing with 4DL, 4LB, 3DB. TJE playing 0tech (true nose tackle)
CAR runs to the right as they pull their LG with a FB lead.

TJE gets underneath and is able to stand up the center. The orange arrow is the center's leg. The LG is seen pulling to the right for a power run to the right side of the formation.

The LG trips over the center's leg. That's one less lead blocker.

Even better, the RB trips over the LG. Bow comes in to register the tackle on the stat sheet, huge assist to TJE.

[ Edited by thl408 on Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM ]

Its kinda looks like justin smith pushed the LG down and then the RB fell over him. Almost looks as if that was cowboy's plan.
Now this is more like it. Some old time film analysis. Thank you sir.
With Dorsey out, Ian Williams still recovering, our DL depth will be tested, but with guys like TJE, Tank, Dial, Dobbs, I'm really not worried. It was a hallmark of the NYG Super Bowl winning teams...quality DL depth. I can see TJE and Dial rotating at NT...and that'll be some duo. Have to be excited at Dial's prospects...he's been turning heads and a guy that big who can move like he can spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e for opponents. TJE will likely function as not only a player, but will help Dial as a mentor, too. That's invaluable.
great break down 408! I think takes Dobbs spot since Purcel needs to make the roster now that Dorsey is hurt.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With Dorsey out, Ian Williams still recovering, our DL depth will be tested, but with guys like TJE, Tank, Dial, Dobbs, I'm really not worried. It was a hallmark of the NYG Super Bowl winning teams...quality DL depth. I can see TJE and Dial rotating at NT...and that'll be some duo. Have to be excited at Dial's prospects...he's been turning heads and a guy that big who can move like he can spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e for opponents. TJE will likely function as not only a player, but will help Dial as a mentor, too. That's invaluable.

Funny, was just updating my 53 and came to this same conclusion: Dial and TJE manning the middle going forward with hopefully, Williams coming back around the same time as Bowman, 100% healthy and ready to go. Hopefully guys like Williams and Lattimore can heal quickly and we're just continually bringing them along slowly but I'm not banking on it given the nature of their injuries and the specific positions they play (and requirements).
Share 49ersWebzone