There are 102 users in the forums

What a difference a season makes: The QB Position suddenly looks bright.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by lssanjose:
I acknowledge Smith played badly. There was that throw to Crabtree I can point to where he was double covered. I think the big thing is he overthrew Crab.. UNDERTHROW a little, and I think Crabtree could have grabbed it.

You are the one of the very few that does. I don't understand the backlash when someone says Smith is a serviceable/ backup type game managing QB.

Funny but almost every Smith supporter, including me, has said that Smith did not play well. Can you list the members who are excusing Smith from any responsibility after Sunday's game?
I acknowledge Smith played badly. There was that throw to Crabtree I can point to where he was double covered. I think the big thing is he overthrew Crab.. UNDERTHROW a little, and I think Crabtree could have grabbed it.

You are the one of the very few that does. I don't understand the backlash when someone says Smith is a serviceable/ backup type game managing QB.

That's not what he said though...
Actually, dtg, I never said it, but for the record, Alex didn't have a good game.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I would look jittery. I'm not an NFL QB making 8 milliion a year... And why are you making it personal anyway? Stick to my post and don't attack me. You are a mod.

Its not a problem IF your running game is effective. When its not, like against Ravens and when Gore gets hurt like in AZ, its becomes a problem. Or if your D is not playing well because its star player is injured....it becomes a problem.

It the playoffs, it will become a problem. If you think Smith will see ideal conditions in the playoffs, keep thinking. Its only going to get worse for him from here on out. It seems like teams are more effectively implementing their "stack the box and make Smith beat you" strategy.

You ever notice that when Smith plays bad its NEVER his fault? Just saying. I still think Harbaugh will try something different. I think we can muster off a playoff win this season. I just know this "playing it safe" wont work next season.

I've been saying that for 7 years. When things go bad, it's everyone else's fault. When things go well, everyone else got their act together and Alex's true skills were able to shine through.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Actually, dtg, I never said it, but for the record, Alex didn't have a good game.

Hey! I think that makes it 100%! All states heard from. But the mythical Smithaholic lives in the minds of many detractors. It's funny but I use to cringe when Smith threw an incomplete pass because I knew that some would use it as a way to belittle him (see picture in this thread). Now, at 10-3 there is finally some breathing room. Just hope they can win a playoff game to get some more experience and let us see how Smith does.

I hope Big Ben is healthy next Monday as I would hate to play them short a man.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I've been saying that for 7 years. When things go bad, it's everyone else's fault. When things go well, everyone else got their act together and Alex's true skills were able to shine through.

It's quite odd to say the least. Its not like the running of Frank Gore or the D had anything to do with it. Oh well when he is benched this time next season I wonder what the new excuse will be. Yes he will be back next season, thats pretty much a given.

Seriously have you heard anything about the development of Kaep. I would like to discuss how he is doing so far.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Dec 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM ]

It's quite odd to say the least. Its not like the running of Frank Gore or the D had anything to do with it. Oh well when he is benched this time next season I wonder what the new excuse will be. Yes he will be back next season, thats pretty much a given.

Seriously have you heard anything about the development of Kaep. I would like to discuss how he is doing so far.

You two keep reinforcing each other regarding the boogey men who support Smith at the expense of the team. I'm sure they're out there if you keep looking. Or just make them up...both ways work.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

You two keep reinforcing each other regarding the boogey men who support Smith at the expense of the team. I'm sure they're out there if you keep looking. Or just make them up...both ways work.

There are many posters who say Alex Smith had a bad game but......poor oline, coaching, wrs dropped passes, play calling.

Why can't it just be, Smith had a bad game...Yes its a team game, but this is a thread about the QB.

Smith is regressing from earlier solid form and i believe its because our run game is off.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM ]
You ever notice that when Smith plays bad its NEVER his fault? Just saying. I still think Harbaugh will try something different. I think we can muster off a playoff win this season. I just know this "playing it safe" wont work next season.

Yeah admist all the dropped pass and play calling talk, what about all those sideline deep misfires by Alex. Those aren't recorded so its hard to calculate Smith's overthrows.
There are many posters who say Alex Smith had a bad game but......poor oline, coaching, wrs dropped passes, play calling.

Why can't it just be, Smith had a bad game...Yes its a team game, but this is a thread about the QB.

Smith is regressing from earlier solid form and i believe its because our run game is off.

There are spurts of run game success... probably not as consistent as earlier parts of the season. I think the playaction game isn't being as well executed, in my mind. That, or teams aren't respecting the play fake - maybe it's because Smith can't fake the run? there are times, however, the fake has been good, so it's hard to pin point where the execution fails...

Yeah admist all the dropped pass and play calling talk, what about all those sideline deep misfires by Alex. Those aren't recorded so its hard to calculate Smith's overthrows.

Well, it makes you wonder, who had a miscommunication error: the wideouts who couldn't locate the ball, or Alex for not putting it where the receiver thought it would be?
Issan that's a fair question we might not be considering if our WR/QB had had 3 mos to practice, get to know each others idiosyncracies. If there was one area where we were gonna be lacking it would be QB/WR knowing one anothers moves. Teams least affected would have been teams that have been together the longest, with a good team to begin with...say Pats, saints, GB, Pitts. And looking at the way those 4 teams are playing, it is as expected with no real preseason, OTAs,etc. We are one of the 28 other teams not so lucky. But that is just the rub of the green.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Here we go. Blame the coaches who have turned this team around to NFC west champs.

Hmm...maybe...its...our...Q..B....

No it must be everything else...

Friggin' Alex Smith, letting him get 150+ yards and a TD on us. What the hell was he thinking? Nonetheless with Skelton at QB.

Care to rephrase this?

I was just trying to point out that Alex wasn't our only problem against Arizona. There's plenty of blame to go around. I was just stated that Alex didn't play on defense when Doucet ran right past our secondary for a score and also he didn't get torched by Fitz twice, one being a TD.
Here we go. Blame the coaches who have turned this team around to NFC west champs.

Hmm...maybe...its...our...Q..B....

No it must be everything else...

Friggin' Alex Smith, letting him get 150+ yards and a TD on us. What the hell was he thinking? Nonetheless with Skelton at QB.

Care to rephrase this?

I was just trying to point out that Alex wasn't our only problem against Arizona. There's plenty of blame to go around. I was just stated that Alex didn't play on defense when Doucet ran right past our secondary for a score and also he didn't get torched by Fitz twice, one being a TD.

I saw him miss that tackle

The run game is off because that is what the teams are looking for. It was going good because of the type of formations we were running. Arizona figured it out and don't be surprised if the Seahawks do also. Playing a team twice sometimes the other team figures out what you are doing.

But Gore doesnt have to have a 100+ yards to be successful. He had a 32yd TD run. There games this season where he didnt have a great game as far as yardage but he put points on the board. That's most important.
Share 49ersWebzone