LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 229 users in the forums

Smith + Kaep QB rating vs Texans = 0.0! (Per Eric Branch)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Please, watch a Patriots or Colts game (when Manning gets healthy) and look at the PROTECTION. If you are being hit before you reach your back foot on a 3 step drop, you won't succeed. When you are in the middle of your thowing motion and get a helmet in your chest, you won't be accurate.

Anyone who watched this game tonight and think any of Alex Smiths performance had anything to do with him simply not playing well, you are nukin' futs.

Tom Brady would have been crushed. Peyton Manning would have been crushed. Joe Freakin' Montana would have been crushed.

As for Kaep....its a bit of both. He had similar protection issues, but actually did have a little time on some of his dropbacks. He is playing like a YOUNG QB tho and staring down receivers. One thing I liked tho....he doesn't seem to go into the tank after a pick. He gets right back up and keeps firing.

Looked to me he made his own time behind a s**t OL. I think his blitz pick up and awareness is much better than Smiths. He seems to take that extra step away to make a guy miss.

Well he is more mobile, but he also stares down recievers. He completely telegraphed his interception. He never looked at anyone else and the safety easily jumped the route.

let's cut him some slack, he's a rookie. Not 7 years of slack, mind you though!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Please, watch a Patriots or Colts game (when Manning gets healthy) and look at the PROTECTION. If you are being hit before you reach your back foot on a 3 step drop, you won't succeed. When you are in the middle of your thowing motion and get a helmet in your chest, you won't be accurate.

Anyone who watched this game tonight and think any of Alex Smiths performance had anything to do with him simply not playing well, you are nukin' futs.

Tom Brady would have been crushed. Peyton Manning would have been crushed. Joe Freakin' Montana would have been crushed.

As for Kaep....its a bit of both. He had similar protection issues, but actually did have a little time on some of his dropbacks. He is playing like a YOUNG QB tho and staring down receivers. One thing I liked tho....he doesn't seem to go into the tank after a pick. He gets right back up and keeps firing.

Looked to me he made his own time behind a s**t OL. I think his blitz pick up and awareness is much better than Smiths. He seems to take that extra step away to make a guy miss.

Well he is more mobile, but he also stares down recievers. He completely telegraphed his interception. He never looked at anyone else and the safety easily jumped the route.

let's cut him some slack, he's a rookie. Not 7 years of slack, mind you though!

LOL. Of course. I'm just saying he's not ready yet.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Sheesh, since when does the preseason mean anything? We were 4-0 last year, and for as long as we've sucked in the regular season, we've been above average in the preseason. I repeat, the preseason means nothing.

Harbaugh's post-game conference suggests otherwise.
Relax, its the preseason...
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Is it possible to have a negative QB rating? I think with this line and the QB's we have, we may be able to achieve it.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Is it possible to have a negative QB rating? I think with this line and the QB's we have, we may be able to achieve it.

I hope so. I'm excited about having Andrew Luck next year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I could accept going 2-14 if it meant getting Luck
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Championship
REALLY?
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15492009

Aug. 27, 2011 10:32 p.m. - by Michael Erler - Harbaugh might go with rookie QB because of his mobility
Coach Jim Harbaugh may be forced to pick rookie QB Colin Kaepernick as the winner of the team’s quarterback competition if for no other reason than he won’t be a sitting duck behind the awful offensive line like QB Alex Smith is. Kaepernick has escaped pressure a number of times in the third quarter. 49ers RapidReports

Originally posted by modninerfan:
go back to the parking lot, you dont know what you're talking about.

better make sure he gets back before kickoff
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15492009

Aug. 27, 2011 10:32 p.m. - by Michael Erler - Harbaugh might go with rookie QB because of his mobility
Coach Jim Harbaugh may be forced to pick rookie QB Colin Kaepernick as the winner of the team’s quarterback competition if for no other reason than he won’t be a sitting duck behind the awful offensive line like QB Alex Smith is. Kaepernick has escaped pressure a number of times in the third quarter. 49ers RapidReports
Is there a chance you might be forced to start Kaepernick just for the simple fact that he is more mobile and he can escape out of trouble?

“No.” - Jim Harbaugh -From the after game press conference.

I don't know how people can even THINK that Kap would be starter for the season. He has 0 chance. And even if he is better in theory then Alex he should not even be put into the situation. Do you really want a Alex 2.0? You do not rush a rookie into starter position just because the kid has potential. You need him to learn and develop. That is one reason why baseball has AAA and AA baseball. So these "professionals" can learn. Now I know I just used baseball as reference to football sorry for that. But really I don't care how much people BOO and HISS and hate Alex he is all we have right now. And so we either got to get behind him or go find another team to root for. I vote for getting behind our teams QB and use our powers as fans to give him the courage and motivation to succeed this season. Because Booing our QB will only hamper and hurt our team. SO yeah "MIDDLE FINGER" to all those fans last night who booed our QB during a freakin preseason game when he didn't even have any support from his OLine!

I could accept going 2-14 if it meant getting Luck

f**k that. I'm sick of losing.

Getting Luck doesn't mean that we'll make the SB anytime soon.
Originally posted by MILFS:
f**k that. I'm sick of losing.

Getting Luck doesn't mean that we'll make the SB anytime soon.

I agree, we can't keep wishing for the future to be brighter with out trying to make it brighter today. People who think that if only we get Luck we will become a Superbowl team are delusional. It takes more then a QB to make a team great. And even if we get Luck next year do not even think he will be put into the game as a starter. And sad to say this. But i highly doubt we'll be getting Luck next year. I do not see this team looking for another QB in the draft next year. I see them grooming Kap and working on fixing other holes in this team like the BIG HOLE right to the QB.
I still have no idea (well I do but still) why Alex decided to come back. It could go down as either a brilliant move or a career killer. This year will pretty much determine whether he moves "up" or "begins his career" as a journeyman back up.

He should have packed his sht and either:

a) Went to Oakland
b) Went to Indy where Peyton isn't getting younger and his health problems could prove long term (neck injuries are no joke). Plus...they run an offense he'd be MOST familiar and comfortable with. And who better to mentor you than Peyton Manning. He'd sit at the most 2 years (which would make him 29) and he could slug it out for at least 4-7 years and have a decent career there.
Share 49ersWebzone