There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Looks like our QBs next year could be

Really looking forward to getting Alex back in here.
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Yea as a fan you want the team to win every year and your sick of the losing but realistically next year isn't Super Bowl or bust so Smith or anyone else doesn't bother me at QB as long as we don't waste draft picks on a stop gap.

You could easily argue there are better QBs than Smith out their available but what they might get us maybe one or two more wins than Smith behind center? So our reward is a worse draft pick?

I was always fine with Smith being back as long as we drafted a legit heir to the spot which we did (we hope).

If it was up to me I would throw Kaepernick in their from the get go as long as he was somewhat ready. In 2005 I would've said under circumstances he is to leave the bench but in 2011 we actually do have a good running game, what hopefully will mature into a good O line, some weapons and a good defense so he does have some support. So I would much rather get Kaepernick as many valuable reps and in game experiences as possible so we can make a run to make some noise in 2012

Not an attack on Alex this time.. It's about the QB roster as a whole.. We were told thier be real competion at QB.. What were getting is the same thing as 2010.. Just with Kap replacing Troy..

I see what you're saying but I think Harbaugh's whole competition thing was to say that whoever is starting isn't set in stone not that their will be a true competition at the spot. Because in context he was talking about the position not being one that's anointed. So I think what he was basically saying that if you had Peyton Manning on your roster he would clearly be your man at the start of camp but you wouldn't hesitate to put in the guy behind him if he was playing better despite the fact that it's Peyton Manning you would be benching.

Because you really don't want true competition at the QB spot because you should already know and have a guy on your roster that should be the clear cut #1. Almost all QB competitions in camps end poorly because it means both guys aren't that great and whoever you chose you just wasted away valuable reps to the loser of the competition.
I wouldn't mind Smith, Kaepernick, and Josh Johnson. Maybe replace Alex with a free agent QB like Bulger or Hasselbeck as a stop gap while Kaepernick sits and learns the system
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Yea as a fan you want the team to win every year and your sick of the losing but realistically next year isn't Super Bowl or bust so Smith or anyone else doesn't bother me at QB as long as we don't waste draft picks on a stop gap.

You could easily argue there are better QBs than Smith out their available but what they might get us maybe one or two more wins than Smith behind center? So our reward is a worse draft pick?

I was always fine with Smith being back as long as we drafted a legit heir to the spot which we did (we hope).

If it was up to me I would throw Kaepernick in their from the get go as long as he was somewhat ready. In 2005 I would've said under circumstances he is to leave the bench but in 2011 we actually do have a good running game, what hopefully will mature into a good O line, some weapons and a good defense so he does have some support. So I would much rather get Kaepernick as many valuable reps and in game experiences as possible so we can make a run to make some noise in 2012

Not an attack on Alex this time.. It's about the QB roster as a whole.. We were told thier be real competion at QB.. What were getting is the same thing as 2010.. Just with Kap replacing Troy..

I disagree. Troy has no upside imo. Colin has a real chance to develop into a good qb. Especially, if he can sit and learn from JH for at least a season before being thrown to the wolves.
MBachCSN Mindi Bach
Some fans may not like it, but Alex Smith's return to 49ers a good move: he has Harbaugh's playbook and can run workouts w/ teammates ....

MBachCSN Mindi Bach
...while lockout continues. Kaepernick can't do that and Carr is expendable if they pick up another veteran QB in free agency

MBachCSN Mindi Bach
Of course, it's still up to Alex Smith if he resign with the team. It's a move of faith on Harbaugh's part
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners will likely have 4 QBs in camps. Probably Froman in UDFA. Or maybe Luck's backup at Stanford, Alex Loukas.
I'm not too concerned about Alex coming back.

Harbaugh has always said that QB spot will be an open competition and will be earned. Even yesterday, he said during the Kaep's press conference. Check out the video at 6:15

Alex couldn't beat Rattay in 05. He couldn't beat out O'Sullivan in 08 or Hill in 09. So its pretty much a guarantee Kaepernick will start week 1.

If Harbaugh's plan was too find a veteran who could bridge the gap or buy some time until Kaepernick was ready, he'll soon find out that his veteran of choice will struggle to learn his system which everyone knows by now.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm not too concerned about Alex coming back.

Harbaugh has always said that QB spot will be an open competition and will be earned. Even yesterday, he said during the Kaep's press conference. Check out the video at 6:15

Alex couldn't beat Rattay in 05. He couldn't beat out O'Sullivan in 08 or Hill in 09. So its pretty much a guarantee Kaepernick will start week 1.

If Harbaugh's plan was too find a veteran who could bridge the gap or buy some time until Kaepernick was ready, he'll soon find out that his veteran of choice will struggle to learn his system which everyone knows by now.

but Alex is usually the pre season MVP
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm not too concerned about Alex coming back.

Harbaugh has always said that QB spot will be an open competition and will be earned. Even yesterday, he said during the Kaep's press conference. Check out the video at 6:15

Alex couldn't beat Rattay in 05. He couldn't beat out O'Sullivan in 08 or Hill in 09. So its pretty much a guarantee Kaepernick will start week 1.

If Harbaugh's plan was too find a veteran who could bridge the gap or buy some time until Kaepernick was ready, he'll soon find out that his veteran of choice will struggle to learn his system which everyone knows by now.

Doubt it. Sadly Harbaugh's man crush on Alex will allow him to start week 1.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm not too concerned about Alex coming back.

Harbaugh has always said that QB spot will be an open competition and will be earned. Even yesterday, he said during the Kaep's press conference. Check out the video at 6:15

Alex couldn't beat Rattay in 05. He couldn't beat out O'Sullivan in 08 or Hill in 09. So its pretty much a guarantee Kaepernick will start week 1.

If Harbaugh's plan was too find a veteran who could bridge the gap or buy some time until Kaepernick was ready, he'll soon find out that his veteran of choice will struggle to learn his system which everyone knows by now.

Doubt it. Sadly Harbaugh's man crush on Alex will allow him to start week 1.

Its better than having the rookie start. There is no way Kaepernick is ready. The last thing we want is to destroy the kid's confidence.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Really looking forward to getting Alex back in here.

this
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Really looking forward to getting Alex back in here.

this

You guys must really like watching train wrecks.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Really looking forward to getting Alex back in here.

this

You guys must really like watching train wrecks.

Uhm, Jim Harbaugh, or you?
I wonder who knows more about QBs

Originally posted by fakers23:
Not an attack on Alex this time.. It's about the QB roster as a whole.. We were told thier be real competion at QB.. What were getting is the same thing as 2010.. Just with Kap replacing Troy..


NolanNonsense...used to...put periods....in between...every sentence...

Hi again, troll.
this is how i hope it goes. Alex Smith, Hasselbeck and Kaepernick. dont let Kaep see the field at all this year until he soaks up harbaughs entire playbook and sees how the two vets go about their business. like we should of done with smith, lets not make the same mistake twice. Alex Smith will improve this year under harbaugh, he was pretty good last year save for a few bonehead plays but that coulda just been raye sleeping and mumbling out the wrong play call. Matt Hasselbeck is a guy i hope we go after to back up Smith. he is a well respected, seasoned veteran and after the beasting hes been taking the last few years i think he would be content in a mentor role this year. he helps alex and colin with his knowledge of the WCO and he is very professional and goes about his job the right way. great role model who can also be a great backup if he needs to play next year due to injury. thats how i see it anyway. no josh johnson, get a guy whos been around for a while and is familiar with the WCO. smiths "mentor" was rattay and i believe ken dorsey was still here with us as well. f**k that. lets do this the right way this time. hopefully harbaugh gives us a Brees/Rivers deal and we can trade off one of these guys and make a killing if they can both be developed just like SD did.