LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 461 users in the forums

Round 2, #36, the San Francisco 49ers selects Colin Kaepernick (QB) Nevada

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The main thing that worries me about Kaepernick is his frame. He's very lanky, skinny legs, doesn't seem to have the body to take a pounding from an aggressive pass rush. He definitely needs to add some mass, even if just in his legs. Of course this could be much ado about nothing but one of the knocks on him entering the draft last year was his body frame and how well he'd hold up to the typical beating an NFL QB gets.

Im sure he will be fine. When Alex Smith entered, he was real skinny. QBs tend to bulk up a little after a couple years of being in the league
[ Edited by asu49ers on Jan 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM ]
One thing about Kaepernick is that A LOT of people were really high on him last year before the draft, he wowed at the Senior Bowl and everyone said his potential was tremendous, and that he was an athletic, accurate passer with a strong arm and a funny wind-up. The knock was that he would need to sit and watch for a season or two and he's been afforded exactly that with the 49ers.

This season has been a blessing to him as he's gotten to sit back and watch what it takes to win football games on this level. He's seen the plays that Alex has made at times, what has worked and what hasn't and has gotten to be around a positive, winning environment. I don't think this first year could have gone any better. If he can have another full year to sit and learn, he's going to receive tremendous benefit.

Bill Walsh used to talk(late 90s) about how he regretted the new NFL "win now, win today" atmosphere that didn't really let players develop all that much and he felt that a QB should have 2-3 years to just sit and watch and learn, this is exactly what Kaepernick is getting, so far, so good.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
He was the Qb I wanted. I love the pick. This makes up for the questionable first round pick

Originally posted by endz0ne:
Interesting. The Niners' first two picks are developmental "project" players. So much for winning the NFC West next year...but if they turn into our version of Aaron Rogers/Brian Orakpo,,,

Guess we'll just wait a few years to see.

This one was funny too.
The main thing that worries me about Kaepernick is his frame. He's very lanky, skinny legs, doesn't seem to have the body to take a pounding from an aggressive pass rush. He definitely needs to add some mass, even if just in his legs. Of course this could be much ado about nothing but one of the knocks on him entering the draft last year was his body frame and how well he'd hold up to the typical beating an NFL QB gets.

people said the same thing about Montana--skinny legs
[ Edited by sfninerfanMax on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
people said the same thing about Montana--skinny legs

Yeah, but the offensive linemen when Joe got into the league were the same size as the tight-ends are today.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
imagine if it were Dalton sitting on the bench this year for us, learning. one pick too late...
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
imagine if it were Dalton sitting on the bench this year for us, learning. one pick too late...

whose to say Kap wont be better
Originally posted by jreff22:

whose to say Kap wont be better

I agree kap might have looked bad in preseson but i remember dalton not looking to good either

Yeah...I dunno why peepe are sometimes down on Kaep. Dalton played because Cincy didn't have another option. The Niners did.

It has nothing to do with Kaep. Carson Palmer sat as a rookie. Harbaugh Redshirted Luck and stanford.

Wait to the kid gets a chance.

2013 we draft another QB for competition

What about that kid we stole from SD?
Originally posted by eastie:
2013 we draft another QB for competition

What about that kid we stole from SD?

what about him?

Meh, Kaepernick's ceiling is a lot higher than Dalton's, better mobility, stronger arm, better size...etc. Everyone figured that Dalton would be the better immediate starter but 3 years down the road he's be dwarfed by the performance of Kaepernick.
One thing about Kaepernick is that A LOT of people were really high on him last year before the draft, he wowed at the Senior Bowl and everyone said his potential was tremendous, and that he was an athletic, accurate passer with a strong arm and a funny wind-up. The knock was that he would need to sit and watch for a season or two and he's been afforded exactly that with the 49ers.

This season has been a blessing to him as he's gotten to sit back and watch what it takes to win football games on this level. He's seen the plays that Alex has made at times, what has worked and what hasn't and has gotten to be around a positive, winning environment. I don't think this first year could have gone any better. If he can have another full year to sit and learn, he's going to receive tremendous benefit.

Bill Walsh used to talk(late 90s) about how he regretted the new NFL "win now, win today" atmosphere that didn't really let players develop all that much and he felt that a QB should have 2-3 years to just sit and watch and learn, this is exactly what Kaepernick is getting, so far, so good.

Agree. Great post!
Looks like he still has a burn to be great:

CK posted this yesterday:

One day Everyone will know! #AgainstAllOdds
http://twitter.com/#!/Kaepernick7/status/153600408055578624
Share 49ersWebzone