LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 261 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I miss when I could get an erection. But those days are over.....
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I miss BW and the Glory years!

Uhm, who doesn't?
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat201:
How Bill Walsh evaluates each position.
Not sure if this has been posted before but very interesting on his take on each position.

Read it and weep.
These are the glory years. Didn't you see the free agents we picked up this year? We are awesome, and we love defending management. All Praise to Lord Baalke.
  • dj43
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
How Bill Walsh evaluates each position.
Not sure if this has been posted before but very interesting on his take on each position.

Read it and weep.

Reading Walsh on the roll of the center brings me back to our recent OL problems. Walsh noted that the ideal size for the center is 6'2", 290. This would make him small than other OL but allow him to be quicker and more agile as is needed to be able to move and help others. I believe this still applies today despite guys like Nolan who love bull dozers.

Another point Walsh made was how the center must be experienced in order to make the proper line calls. That is commonly overlooked by the casual fan. I believe, though I have no way to prove it, that a great deal of the problems and inconsistency of the OL at the beginning of last season was the result of Baas lack of familiarity with the job and the calls. By the same token, it was clear there was a great deal of that going on last Friday night.

Much has been written in this forum about Chilo Rachal and how poorly he has played, but I believe a certain amount of his problems have come from a lack of consistency at center. Be that as it may, this OL will not achieve the level of play the team must have until the position of center if filled with a solid consistent performer who can recognize defenses and make the proper blocking calls.
Originally posted by Pick6:
So... I got to thinking 30 starters drafted in 10 years... that should be a pretty good team, so here is the DRAFTED team -
QB - Joe Montana
RB - Roger Craig - Earl Cooper
FB - Tom Rathman
WR - Jerry Rice, John Taylor
WR - Dwight Clark
TE - John Frank, Wesley Walls
OT - Bubba Paris
OG Guy McIntyre
C Jesse Sapolu
OG Bruce Collie (1985 - 5th round)
OT Steve Wallace

DL Jim Stuckey, Pierce Holt, Dewaine Board,
DL Michael Carter, Daniel Stubbs
DL Kevin f*gan, Larry Roberts
LB Keena Turner, Keith DeLong
LB Riki Ellison
LB Bill Romanowski
LB Charles Haley
CB Ronnie Lott, Tim McKyer
CB Eric Wright, Don Griffin
S Jeff Fuller, Chet Brooks
S Carlton Williamson

Ok. I know that I might be missing some.. Dwaine Board and Bruce Collie were left our originally (perhaps I should have read what was wrote before me...). Regardless wow... thats pretty impressive. Especially when you consider guys like a handful of starters that were already a part of the team in 79 and continued to play throughout the 80's.

And to add some more intrigue to the draft thing. The starting lineup for the 1989 team only had 4 (YES FOUR) players NOT drafted by the 9ers. Brent Jones (steelers), Matt Millen (raiders), Jim Fahnhorst (vikings) and Mike Walter (cowboys). Most of the guys mentioned above were starting.

Sorry, I just can't stop laughing that Kevin f*gan's name in your post is automatically edited with an asterik to avoid a gay slur.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM ]
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I miss when I could get an erection. But those days are over.....

• kray28
  • Veteran
Reading Walsh on the roll of the center brings me back to our recent OL problems. Walsh noted that the ideal size for the center is 6'2", 290. This would make him small than other OL but allow him to be quicker and more agile as is needed to be able to move and help others. I believe this still applies today despite guys like Nolan who love bull dozers.

Center is arguably the hardest line position to play....you have to be smart on top of being strong. It's the least talked about position though, and good centers don't grow on trees for a reason.

Snyder is not up to the job....and my hope is that Goodwin, who comes with some experience at least helps shore things up.
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dj43:

Another point Walsh made was how the center must be experienced in order to make the proper line calls. That is commonly overlooked by the casual fan. I believe, though I have no way to prove it, that a great deal of the problems and inconsistency of the OL at the beginning of last season was the result of Baas lack of familiarity with the job and the calls. By the same token, it was clear there was a great deal of that going on last Friday night.

Much has been written in this forum about Chilo Rachal and how poorly he has played, but I believe a certain amount of his problems have come from a lack of consistency at center. Be that as it may, this OL will not achieve the level of play the team must have until the position of center if filled with a solid consistent performer who can recognize defenses and make the proper blocking calls.
Good post! I myself have always wondered how our communication is at the line. Communication is very important, if not just as important as the strength and speed factors. It often seemed like players would whiff on assignments more than get beat. I often did wonder how often guys were maybe in the wrong place due to communication break downs or possibly they just are not very good it looked to go both ways. Was the blocking scheme appropriate? It just seemed like we got completely lost sometimes.
kevin f*gan is my favorite player..wtf!

bill walsh never had alex smith

BAM!! now an alex smith thread

Bill Walsh worked with Paul Brown, Al Davis (when he knew what he was he was doing), Coryell, and many other great coaches. This helped him develop his system from management of staff to organization of practice to play calling, and everything else football.

Five things I particulary like:

1) Using systems that are contrary to the popular so that there was less competition for players (smaller linemen, FBs who are receivers, etc.).
2) Scheduling practice time to the minute so there was no wasted time (much more that most teams, every assistant had to keep their own schedule to the minute), keeping to the schedule.
3) More emphasis on repetition of plays versus hitting. Did not want to beat up his players, particularly vets.
4) Breaking down each position and teaching from the gound up--vets and youngsters. Very detailed work on QB mechanics--repetition.
5) Humor and absolute ruthlessness combined. No one was complacent but Walsh also used humor to lighten the tension. Some of his film sessions were almost standup material.

While all teams try to do some or most of these things, Walsh mastered them.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Bill Walsh worked with Paul Brown, Al Davis (when he knew what he was he was doing), Coryell, and many other great coaches. This helped him develop his system from management of staff to organization of practice to play calling, and everything else football.

Five things I particulary like:

1) Using systems that are contrary to the popular so that there was less competition for players (smaller linemen, FBs who are receivers, etc.).
2) Scheduling practice time to the minute so there was no wasted time (much more that most teams, every assistant had to keep their own schedule to the minute), keeping to the schedule.
3) More emphasis on repetition of plays versus hitting. Did not want to beat up his players, particularly vets.
4) Breaking down each position and teaching from the gound up--vets and youngsters. Very detailed work on QB mechanics--repetition.
5) Humor and absolute ruthlessness combined. No one was complacent but Walsh also used humor to lighten the tension. Some of his film sessions were almost standup material.

While all teams try to do some or most of these things, Walsh mastered them.
WHAT?! Steve Young was on the team before montana and rice??
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erDynasty:
Great, revealing article. If Harbaugh can learn from Bill Walsh and be a true protege, the 49ers will be in good hands for years to come. Hopefully, another new success story in the Walsh coaching tree.

His attention to detail is very Walsh-esque. The report out on Sunday about working singly with Vernon Davis in correcting his route running is exactly the kind of thing Walsh would do. I remember Steve Young talking about how Walsh would demand that Roger Craig run a circle route or a swing route over and over until he could run it so consistently that the QB could just turn and throw the ball to a spot and know Roger would catch it on his front hand.

Cam Inman was talking this morning about how detailed Harbaugh and his offense are. That makes the learning curve a good bit longer than the Jimmy Raye offense but it also makes it work.

Well said! Going over and over the pattern with VD really tells me that the offense will have a good shot this year. Now it will be up to the players to raise their level and become winners.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM ]
Harabaugh needs to channel McKittrick. 49ers wouldnt have made it look so easy without that mans coaching.
Share 49ersWebzone