LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 297 users in the forums

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by backontop:
Troy has only looked good against 1 team and 1 team only and that was the Rams. He struggled against the Broncos and Cards and was shut out against the Bucs.

Who cares? He's 3-1 as a starter of a bad team that was 1-6 before he took over, and this without the benefit of training camp and while riding the bench as the 3rd stringer for the first 2 months (meaning no reps at all).

Seriously man, what exactly do you expect?

The second half of the season was the easiest stretch of the schedule. He SHOULD be 3-1 as a starter. IMHO the Bucs are a very average team that can only beat below .500 teams. They pretty much embarrassed us with Troy Smith as the QB. If Troy Smith was the QB against NO, PHL or even ATL we would have 3 or 4 shutouts.
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Troy makes some good deep passes. Although, he is not accurate on short and mid range passes. This is obviously crucial. He has the intangibles, but unfortunately he is too inaccurate to be a quality starting NFL QB. He managed the game okay today, but overall he didn't play that well. At least he hasn't been a turnover machine.

I'm gonna get ripped for this, but in this extremely small sample size Alex Smith looks better. He is more accurate on the short and mid range passes, although, Troy throws the deep ball better. If Alex gets this kind of run support he would have obviously wont this game.

WHAT??? wasn't Alex smith the one who struggled all year in short and mid-range passes (ex:overthrown tochdown to Norris and a thousand other bad passes). dang i wonder when people gonna get over Alex, he's benched and he still a cancer. People just can't be happy for a QB who's winning. please get Alex out of your mind,He will only lead to ulcers and tumors, not trynna bash you brother, i just care about a fellow zoner's health

Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Troy makes some good deep passes. Although, he is not accurate on short and mid range passes. This is obviously crucial. He has the intangibles, but unfortunately he is too inaccurate to be a quality starting NFL QB. He managed the game okay today, but overall he didn't play that well. At least he hasn't been a turnover machine.

I'm gonna get ripped for this, but in this extremely small sample size Alex Smith looks better. He is more accurate on the short and mid range passes, although, Troy throws the deep ball better. If Alex gets this kind of run support he would have obviously wont this game.

WHAT??? wasn't Alex smith the one who struggled all year in short and mid-range passes (ex:overthrown tochdown to Norris and a thousand other bad passes). dang i wonder when people gonna get over Alex, he's benched and he still a cancer. People just can't be happy for a QB who's winning. please get Alex out of your mind,He will only lead to ulcers and tumors

Bro, don't be blinded. Stay rational at all times. Troy hasn't played well. You seen Alex play this year right? He has played as well, if not better than Troy. They both are inconsistent. The last two games have been a little hard on the eyes when it comes to the passing game. The Bucs game was a hideous performance, even Alex has never looked that bad. This game was ugly besides the Crabtree pass. AZ gave us that game. Mike Johnson is scared to throw the ball on third and six or beyond with Troy. I'm happy with the win, but I'm gonna keep it real at all times.
Troy has only looked good against 1 team and 1 team only and that was the Rams. He struggled against the Broncos and Cards and was shut out against the Bucs.

Who cares? He's 3-1 as a starter of a bad team that was 1-6 before he took over, and this without the benefit of training camp and while riding the bench as the 3rd stringer for the first 2 months (meaning no reps at all).

The second half of the season was the easiest stretch of the schedule. He SHOULD be 3-1 as a starter. IMHO the Bucs are a very average team that can only beat below .500 teams. They pretty much embarrassed us with Troy Smith as the QB. If Troy Smith was the QB against NO, PHL or even ATL we would have 3 or 4 shutouts.

You're delusional. First, you don't know what Troy would've done against NO, PHIL or ATL...nobody does, so to think that you do only makes you look foolish. Secondly, you have no sense of context. The team was 1-6 and had recently lost to the worst team in the league (CAR) who had ZERO wins before we came to town. THAT was supposed to be the easiest game on the schedule...but that's not how the NFL works.

It's easy for you to just write, "he should be 3-1." But I don't think you realize how mediocre this team is, and how limited the offense is both in philosophy and in its implementation (Troy is using a very small part of the playbook). Combine that with the overall inexperience of Troy and the wildly inconsistent play of the o-line, and you're dealing with an offense that is literally handicapped.

But hey, if that's what you believe...

You're delusional. First, you don't know what Troy would've done against NO, PHIL or ATL...nobody does, so to think that you do only makes you look foolish. Secondly, you have no sense of context. The team was 1-6 and had recently lost to the worst team in the league (CAR) who had ZERO wins before we came to town. THAT was supposed to be the easiest game on the schedule...but that's not how the NFL works.

It's easy for you to just write, "he should be 3-1." But I don't think you realize how mediocre this team is, and how limited the offense is both in philosophy and in its implementation (Troy is using a very small part of the playbook). Combine that with the overall inexperience of Troy and the wildly inconsistent play of the o-line, and you're dealing with an offense that is literally handicapped.

I'm delusional because I actually see what is going on instead of swinging from Troy Smith's nutsack like he is the second coming of Joe Montana? Sorry but Troy Smith is not playing very well at all. He has only played one good game and that was against the Rams. While yes I do not know what Troy Smith would have done against NO, PHL or ATL I can make an educated guess based on what he did against Tampa Bay. While I admit he might not have been shut out but there would be no way in hell we won any of those games. But hey if you want to keep claiming Troy Smith as the savior of the franchise be my guest.

I'm delusional because I actually see what is going on instead of swinging from Troy Smith's nutsack like he is the second coming of Joe Montana? Sorry but Troy Smith is not playing very well at all. He has only played one good game and that was against the Rams. While yes I do not know what Troy Smith would have done against NO, PHL or ATL I can make an educated guess based on what he did against Tampa Bay. While I admit he might not have been shut out but there would be no way in hell we won any of those games. But hey if you want to keep claiming Troy Smith as the savior of the franchise be my guest.

Look up the term "straw man." You're saying stupid s**t like "second coming," "Joe Montana" and "savior of the franchise," when I've never said anything close to that. If you want to reply to me, keep it factual, especially if you're going to say that you're "seeing what's going on."

You're intelligence is severely lacking if you think that stating facts (Troy is 3-1 as a starter) is the equivalent of swinging from his nutsack.

So, if you're going to reply to me, stick the facts. I never said Troy was "the second coming" or Joe Montana or that he's the savior of the franchise" or even that he is playing well. I never said anything close to that, but you're so intent on winning some stupid internet argument that you'll resort to making s**t up.

Go back and read my posts, then reply with something smart if you want to continue.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Alex is a better QB than Troy

Their records and stats beg to differ.

Look up the term "straw man." You're saying stupid s**t like "second coming," "Joe Montana" and "savior of the franchise," when I've never said anything close to that. If you want to reply to me, keep it factual, especially if you're going to say that you're "seeing what's going on."

You're intelligence is severely lacking if you think that stating facts (Troy is 3-1 as a starter) is the equivalent of swinging from his nutsack.

So, if you're going to reply to me, stick the facts. I never said Troy was "the second coming" or Joe Montana or that he's the savior of the franchise" or even that he is playing well. I never said anything close to that, but you're so intent on winning some stupid internet argument that you'll resort to making s**t up.

Go back and read my posts, then reply with something smart if you want to continue.

Did I ever say that you used those terms? Make assumptions much? If you want to assume that my one post revolves around you then you are the one that is lacking in the intelligence department (nice personal attack by the way! Next time attack the post not the poster) Once again Troy SHOULD BE 3-1 as the starter. He played the Rams, Cards and Broncos. Even Jim Drukenmiller could have beat those teams. For YOU to assume that just because Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter actually means something is pretty hilarious. Once again look at the teams that he played.

You want facts then lets give you some facts. Alex Smith faced teams that were and are over .500. Actually 4 of the 6 teams that Alex Smith faced are over .500 with the only loss to a sub .500 team being the team beating from Seattle. Troy Smith on the other hand, 3 of the 4 teams he has played have been under .500 with the only team above .500 handing us a shut out AT HOME! Oh and this team that beat us at home was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who haven't beat a team that is .500 or above yet this season.

Would Alex Smith be 3-1 if he started the games instead of Troy Smith? I don't know, but I am pretty confident that if Alex were still the starter than we would have beaten Carolina, Denver, St. Louis and AZ. As for Tampa I honestly don't have a clue. So I guess the fact that we are 1 game behind the Rams can be blamed on Singletary for putting in lame David Carr.

Did I ever say that you used those terms? Make assumptions much? If you want to assume that my one post revolves around you then you are the one that is lacking in the intelligence department (nice personal attack by the way! Next time attack the post not the poster) Once again Troy SHOULD BE 3-1 as the starter. He played the Rams, Cards and Broncos. Even Jim Drukenmiller could have beat those teams. For YOU to assume that just because Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter actually means something is pretty hilarious. Once again look at the teams that he played.

You want facts then lets give you some facts. Alex Smith faced teams that were and are over .500. Actually 4 of the 6 teams that Alex Smith faced are over .500 with the only loss to a sub .500 team being the team beating from Seattle. Troy Smith on the other hand, 3 of the 4 teams he has played have been under .500 with the only team above .500 handing us a shut out AT HOME! Oh and this team that beat us at home was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who haven't beat a team that is .500 or above yet this season.

Would Alex Smith be 3-1 if he started the games instead of Troy Smith? I don't know, but I am pretty confident that if Alex were still the starter than we would have beaten Carolina, Denver, St. Louis and AZ. As for Tampa I honestly don't have a clue. So I guess the fact that we are 1 game behind the Rams can be blamed on Singletary for putting in lame David Carr.

WTF was Sing supposed to do???????? Put in a veteran QB who has practiced with the team or someone who had no practice with the team??? He made the right choice then and he made the right choice when he did not let Carr back on the field. And he is certainly making the right choice by not putting Alex backin there.

True, they were out-coached and out played against Tampa. But obviously they made some adjuments as they put up more points than Alex has during his 1-6 start.

I don't get it. Troy has 1/10th of the practice time as Alex. Yet, is 3-1 and some of you think that 1-6 Alex should start? Troy beat the divional leader. Alex tricked-which led to a blow-out from the other. Alex was barely beating a team that had no wins before his injury. This does not mean that Troy has demonstrated that he is the answer; but he clearly has answered the question of rather or not Alex Smith is.
Originally posted by ttime1:

WTF was Sing supposed to do???????? Put in a veteran QB who has practiced with the team or someone who had no practice with the team??? He made the right choice then and he made the right choice when he did not let Carr back on the field. And he is certainly making the right choice by not putting Alex backin there.

True, they were out-coached and out played against Tampa. But obviously they made some adjuments as they put up more points than Alex has during his 1-6 start.

I don't get it. Troy has 1/10th of the practice time as Alex. Yet, is 3-1 and some of you think that 1-6 Alex should start? Troy beat the divional leader. Alex tricked-which led to a blow-out from the other. Alex was barely beating a team that had no wins before his injury. This does not mean that Troy has demonstrated that he is the answer; but he clearly has answered the question of rather or not Alex Smith is.

The David Carr scenario is one of hind sight. I'm simply just stating that IF Alex Smith had not been injured or if Troy Smith had gone in, then we would have won that game. In reference to the 1-6 record compared to 3-1, again look at the teams played. Our schedule was very front loaded while the remainder of the schedule was a lot easier.

To the comment about Alex barely beating a team that had 0 wins. We drove down the field on the opening drive and scored. Then in typical Singletary fashion attempted to sit on a 7 point lead in the 1st quarter.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Alex is a better QB than Troy

Their records and stats beg to differ.

This is incorrect. Their stats are pretty equal under Mike Johnson, and Troy has played against much worse competition.
I thought Troy rebounded somewhat from the Tampa game. Although in my opinion he still showed his rough edges a little to often for my taste. I don't hold the low statitistical numbers against him. To me that was due to the fact that we got out to big lead so quickly. Otherwise it appeared as though the coaches were willing to open it up again just as they did for the Rams game. Overall I would say that Troy is still a work in progress.
I thought Troy Smith played well he didn't make huge mistakes like Alex has done all year he had tip pass that was picked but I think that was mainly on Crabtree. Other than that it was good but Westbrook proved what I thought he could do the whole time.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DomKing

The David Carr scenario is one of hind sight. I'm simply just stating that IF Alex Smith had not been injured or if Troy Smith had gone in, then we would have won that game. In reference to the 1-6 record compared to 3-1, again look at the teams played. Our schedule was very front loaded while the remainder of the schedule was a lot easier.

To the comment about Alex barely beating a team that had 0 wins. We drove down the field on the opening drive and scored. Then in typical Singletary fashion attempted to sit on a 7 point lead in the 1st quarter.

Troy had no practice time while Carr did. His choice was a logical one. And no, you can not simply say that they would have won had Alex not been hurt. His resume is simply to inconsistent to guarantee it. The score was too close and there was too much time left in the game. I do agree with you that that they would have had a better chance with Alex than with Carr. But neither played well enough to bet the house on it.

True, Sing has been too conservative at times. On the other hand, can you blame him when your QB has never proven to be able to win a shoot-out? Never! I do believe though as he becomes more comfortable with Troy, he is enabling more of his playmakers to get involved. Never the less, his hit em the mouth temperment has actually produced 2 out of the last 3 superbowl winners. Pittsburgh and NY won the Superbowl by being physical and effectively running the ball. Sing does not have Drew or Peyton.

I don't care how tough the begining of the season was. 1-6 is not exceptable and better QB play would have resulted in more wins. If you think otherwise, then you are kidding yourself. Regardless, if Troy is going to prove himself as being the one, he has to play better.
The fact that so many people are arguing a FIRST ROUND FIRST PICK overall versus a guy SF picked up off the scrap heap pretty much explains it all.
Share 49ersWebzone