• Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
nvm

Originally posted by fly15:
nvm

thats fly
Originally posted by dman:
So Smith isn't Manning, Brees, or Brady?

OK thanks.

Missing the point buddy. As a starting QB don't you strive to be like the best of your peers? I mean just that statement alone tells me he isn't ready to be a "true" leader. Everyone was raving of how he commands the offense and took control in practice. What Alex, only in practice? WTF man... Just a really dumb choice of words... whether he was trying to throw ray under the bus or what...

[ Edited by zozell on Sep 13, 2010 at 15:14:38 ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
nvm

thats fly

Thats memphis, ohh sh!t, sorry, Thats Invalrod
Walsh was never big on giving qb plays to call. His thinking was at any given time the qb might get knock silly and don't know what he's thinking to call the right plays for certain situation. So he would rather do it on the sideline so he can think clearly of the situation, down and distance. Most OC stays up in the booth where they don't have to deal with the crap on the sideline so they can have a clear mind to deal with calling the offensive plays. Citing Payton Manning is not the norm. It goes back to whatever works best. For most teams it's an OC calling plays in the booth.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Walsh was never big on giving qb plays to call. His thinking was at any given time the qb might get knock silly and don't know what he's thinking to call the right plays for certain situation. So he would rather do it on the sideline so he can think clearly of the situation, down and distance. Most OC stays up in the booth where they don't have to deal with the crap on the sideline so they can have a clear mind to deal with calling the offensive plays. Citing Payton Manning is not the norm. It goes back to whatever works best. For most teams it's an OC calling plays in the booth.

My issue isn't with Smith not calling plays. I'm sure he's capable of doing it. My issue is the comment.
he's right: he should be able to count on the OC to make good calls and get them relayed to him on time.
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

My issue isn't with Smith not calling plays. I'm sure he's capable of doing it. My issue is the comment.

Smith is right at this point he's only in his second year of Raye's offense. He knows enough to relay the plays, make sure he line guys up in the right place, make the protection call, read the defense. All within 20 seconds if they get the plays in on time. I think he has a full plate right now. He don't need to be an OC on the field. Raye is doing an impression of one upstairs already.
oh my GOD

which is it people.....

"Let Alecks call his own plays Damnit!"

or

"omgz, he has too much to deal with already, that's not his job....leave him alone"

you fellas confuse me....I've always figured that most of the blind Alex fans (I'm just saying blind ones...it is ok to be just an Alex fan)...but I figured the main reason the Blind Alex fans have soooo much faith in Alex all these years is because they believed he could be the ULTIMATE QB

Smarts (call his own plays when need be) like Manning
Athletic (he is mobile and can throw on the run)
Strong Arm ( he throwz lazers.....even if the receiver is 3 yards away)
well spoken
nice eyebrows and apparently has blue eyes (I just found out today, thankx Valrod)

as the years go buy...it is apparent his arm is not as strong as some believed, and apparently he has no interest in calling his own plays.....and doesn't look as Athletic as initially believed.

so what does Alex Smith bring to the table? what was his upside...what is he good at?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zozell:

Maybe he was referring to the fact that he has to babysit half the offense and make sure they know WTF is going on?

Anyway, I don't care what he says. If he had time to talk, he should using it to figure out how to complete more passes.

I was at the game and if Alex saw what I saw he would say, " Troy Smith looks like a player"
Words usually dont carry much weight in an action packed game like football, but I don't like what I am hearing from Smith at this point in time and this is probably the 1st time I can say this in the last 2 years. But I can say that on the surface it seems that this team has done this offseason everything possible to enable Smith to succeed and this is the thanks they get after 1 game. Now screwups are screwups and if coach sing and staff screwed up then so b it, But the gripin should b left in the locker room and not tossed about in the media cuz on the outside it would appear that he is unappreciative and not fully holding himself accountable. Just think, they didn't pursue mcnabb, kept jimmy raye (???), and pretty much had no qb comp this offseason so as to make it his year. So now smith has to make the most of a very talented offensive roster and win now because if he doesn't he will look like a bust. He should keep the criticism in the locker room and do better on gamedays.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
oh my GOD

which is it people.....

"Let Alecks call his own plays Damnit!"

or

"omgz, he has too much to deal with already, that's not his job....leave him alone"

you fellas confuse me....I've always figured that most of the blind Alex fans (I'm just saying blind ones...it is ok to be just an Alex fan)...but I figured the main reason the Blind Alex fans have soooo much faith in Alex all these years is because they believed he could be the ULTIMATE QB

Smarts (call his own plays when need be) like Manning
Athletic (he is mobile and can throw on the run)
Strong Arm ( he throwz lazers.....even if the receiver is 3 yards away)
well spoken
nice eyebrows and apparently has blue eyes (I just found out today, thankx Valrod)

as the years go buy...it is apparent his arm is not as strong as some believed, and apparently he has no interest in calling his own plays.....and doesn't look as Athletic as initially believed.

so what does Alex Smith bring to the table? what was his upside...what is he good at?

Wait, so you want Smith whom you think ain't no good, can't make the right decision with the ball on the field, to save our sorry OC's a** by calling his own plays for the offense....

If you're going to hate, at least be consistent.
Share 49ersWebzone