LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 307 users in the forums

Davis to be cut after all

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I supported him because he was on the team but now it's like whatever.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
What happened to my Davis get's claimed thread?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm just glad the myth of Nate Davis is over.

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

Agreed, same here. Although I am disappointed with the release, it will be a complete non-issue if he is placed on the practice squad. I never expected Nate to be ready to legitimately compete for a starting position until year three at the earliest, and stated this many times. We can still develop him at the same pace on the PS, while adding someone else with more experience and who is more NFL ready at this point.

We had to know the first part of the process would be grooming him to be ready enough just to be the backup. He's got the raw ability you'd want from a #2, but not the cerebral ability and knowledge of the games intricacies to be able to step into that role right now. That being said, I still really like Davis' future prospects if he is allotted the time to develop on the team's practice squad.
The thought just occurred to me that the 49ers had two QBs on their roster, neither of which could function until they had thorough knowledge of the offense and playbook...but for very different reasons.

Personally I will not be completely surprised if he clears waivers and the 49ers have a chance to resign him. I would bet the 49ers made some phone calls to see if their was any interest in a trade, and found none. Hence, they felt they could sneak him through, and if they didn't, there was no great loss.

Best case scenario is that all of this has been a wakeup call for the kid and he will begin to start a serious learning process.

Apparently Davis got claimed, which I figured would happen if we released him. Another reason why I didn't like the move. I like Troy Smith, and he'll help us more in the short term. But I still wondered what we could do with Davis with enough time to develop him.
Between:

Davis to be cut after all
Niners sign Troy Smith &
I think we cut the wrong QB !

I can't keep what thread I posted in straight because all three are about Davis, T. Smith, Alex Smith, Carr and how much Sing sucks.

Time to take a time out from Niner Talk
Originally posted by mayo63:

They locked it because it hasn't happened yet, also it belongs in NFL talk, he isn't a niner anymore unless he makes it through waivers.
Quick question, doesn't the player have the option to turn down the waiver claim if they don't want to go there if they don't like the situation they may be going into in comparison to where they already are?
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Quick question, doesn't the player have the option to turn down the waiver claim if they don't want to go there if they don't like the situation they may be going into in comparison to where they already are?

I do not see how they couldn't decide where they wanted to play between the teams that want them. This is America after all.

i believe that the player can refuse to sign, but the team that claimed him will still own his rights, and he can't sign with another team without working out some kind of deal with them.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i believe that the player can refuse to sign, but the team that claimed him will still own his rights, and he can't sign with another team without working out some kind of deal with them.

That sounds about right.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

They locked it because it hasn't happened yet, also it belongs in NFL talk, he isn't a niner anymore unless he makes it through waivers.

49erswebzone is F**k a Clown and all is joke here!

I do not see how they couldn't decide where they wanted to play between the teams that want them. This is America after all.

but if that were true, there wouldn't be a draft.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

but if that were true, there wouldn't be a draft.

Tell Elway and baby Manning that, but I think the above poster is correct, the team that claims him has rights to him until they relinquish them.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

49erswebzone is F**k a Clown and all is joke here!

Put down that drink, Buzz... Put it down!

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

The bottom line is that Davis is not even close to being ready to play in the NFL, which is something I have stated in Davis' entire pro career, to much chagrin from a gigantic portion of the board who thought he would be starting by this point.

Late 5th round draftees are late 5th round draftees. Very, very few of these guys make it. Last year, I posted the last twenty 5th round QB's, and none had achieved anything in their career. Many board members acted as if he was going to be great just because he was drafted by our team, which is a terrible trap to fall into logically. I always stated that if he was so great, then why did only one team show up at his Pro-Day, and that team was local in the state of Indiana (the Colts). If the Niners did not draft Davis at the end of the 5th round, he would have slipped to at least the 6th round, and who knows how far beyond. So, while people throw the name Tom Brady around, as if 6th rounders often become multiple Super Bowl winning champs, the chance for Davis to amount to anything in this league is pretty microscopic. So, why should anyone be so surprised he didn't cut it for the Niners?

Short, intellectually-challenged, lazy QB's, even with a strong arm, are not going to cut it in the NFL. Why should anyone wring their hands over this cut? Good riddance.

I celebrate the Niners picking up Troy Smith, someone who is bright, hard-working, and a winner. And, I celebrate the end of the Nate Davis drama.

P.S. I enjoyed Ghost's response. The reality is that Davis doesn't "suck" and he is not the "franchise QB" that over 50% of the board thought he would become (don't even get me started on this one). He's just a third stringer who is mediocre at best.

Didnt u say the same thing about Ahmed Brooks

Ahmed Brooks still has a lot to prove.

Saying that over 50% of the board thought he would become a franchise QB or would even be starting by this point is a gross exaggeration.
Share 49ersWebzone