LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 314 users in the forums

Is Nedney's job at risk?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've read about him having terrible pain from calcium buildup in his leg, something he has dealt with for a long time, but something that is also getting worse and worse with age. I've also noticed for the past couple of seasons that he doesn't have much left in the tank on kickoffs and has kicked quite a few balls out of bounds for penalties. I believe he did it last year against Minnesota and against Indy, but someone can fact check me on that.

Anyhow, with the facts on the table, it seems like we've got to be looking for a new guy. I know Nedney is a stud on FGs under fifty yards, but his decreasing power is cause for concern. Being able to have opposing offenses start consistently at their twenty as opposed to their thirty and thirty-five would be nice, I think we can all agree on that.

If anyone is following kicker battles in the preseason, Kris Brown and Neil Rackers are going at it in Houston. I'm not sure who is going to win that battle, but I firmly believe that if Rackers is cut, we should sign him immediately. That guy is a stud and I believe he only missed one FG last season. Would anyone be opposed to this? I know a lot of fans have loyalty to players who have been around, but our kicking game is definitely in need of improvement.
i don't think its at risk, but i do think we should keep an eye out for a new kicker in the near future.
How do you disable these? .gifs slow my browser way down.
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by jreff22:

if you're using firefox, you can download Ad Block Plus. Once you do that, you can block any gifs, ads, etc...
Good to know, but I'm using Google Chrome right now. I prefer it to Firefox.
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jreff22:

if you're using firefox, you can download Ad Block Plus. Once you do that, you can block any gifs, ads, etc...

Good to know, but I'm using Google Chrome right now. I prefer it to Firefox.

lol, you block gif and you're missing out. Adblock is available for Chrome by the way. And the slow down is more related to download speeds and processing ability than your browser.
why yes it is im competing with him
I've read about him having terrible pain from calcium buildup in his leg, something he has dealt with for a long time, but something that is also getting worse and worse with age. I've also noticed for the past couple of seasons that he doesn't have much left in the tank on kickoffs and has kicked quite a few balls out of bounds for penalties. I believe he did it last year against Minnesota and against Indy, but someone can fact check me on that.

You've completely overblown Nedney's condition without citing sources.

Nedney's old school injury flares up

Quote:
"My body ended up calcifying the wound so now I've got a bone basically right in the middle of the muscle and I can't take it out."

It's done nothing to stop Nedney's career from reaching a 15th season, the past five coming with San Francisco. His 86.8 percent field goal rate as a Niner is tops in franchise history and second-best in the NFL since 2005.

Problem is, his groin issue still flares up, as it did at the start of camp this summer. Nedney has just learned how to take it easy when possible.

This time, it meant skipping the exhibition opener Sunday at Indianapolis and not attempting a live field goal until the third week.

"I've gotten to this point now where I've got to be smart with it," Nedney said. "I've learned to deal with it my entire career. It's nothing new. It's just when you're 37 versus 23, you've got to take care of it in a different way."

If the injury was any more serious, they'd have someone other than Shane Andrus in camp.

Anyhow, with the facts on the table, it seems like we've got to be looking for a new guy. I know Nedney is a stud on FGs under fifty yards, but his decreasing power is cause for concern. Being able to have opposing offenses start consistently at their twenty as opposed to their thirty and thirty-five would be nice, I think we can all agree on that.

If anyone is following kicker battles in the preseason, Kris Brown and Neil Rackers are going at it in Houston. I'm not sure who is going to win that battle, but I firmly believe that if Rackers is cut, we should sign him immediately. That guy is a stud and I believe he only missed one FG last season. Would anyone be opposed to this? I know a lot of fans have loyalty to players who have been around, but our kicking game is definitely in need of improvement.

Again, this is an overreaction.

Since coming to San Francisco, Joe Nedney has kicked better than 80% in each of his five seasons. Neil Rackers has had two sub 80% seasons within that same time frame.

Rackers is fighting for a job in Houston for a reason; His inconsistencies from season to season causes concern.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
We should have Lee do kickoffs because that's what I do in Madden.

Originally posted by redrathman:
Again, this is an overreaction.

Since coming to San Francisco, Joe Nedney has kicked better than 80% in each of his five seasons. Neil Rackers has had two sub 80% seasons within that same time frame.

Rackers is fighting for a job in Houston for a reason; His inconsistencies from season to season causes concern.

An overreaction? He had to skip the first preseason game to keep it from flaring up too bad? I'm sorry, but if I'm a betting man, I'm not putting any money down on the odds of this problem not bothering him throughout the season. On top of that, Nedney is no better than average in terms of NFL kickers at this point in his career. So why aren't we moving on? Wouldn't you rather have a young stud who booms in through the endzone on kickoffs? That would be a very positive contribution for our football team.

As for Rackers FG kicking...

He made 9 FGs from 50+ in 2007, 7 in 2006, 7 in 2005, 9 in 2004. He only attempted 2 in 2008 and 2009 and was 1/2 --- not sure what is up with that. But he did just nail a 57 yarder in the Texans last exhibition game, so I think he still has it.

Further, in 2008 he was 25/28, and in 2009 he was 16/17. Those were his most accurate seasons by far, but they were also his most recent. If you ask me, he seems to be a superior kicker to Nedney at this point.
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM ]
I wonder which player is next that someone will make a thread about.
not to Shane Andrus
I think we should start looking for another guy soon. Possibly before next season.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
not to Shane Andrus

That's for sure. He lacks both kicking power and accuracy. Not a good combo.
Share 49ersWebzone