LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 475 users in the forums

Carr vs. Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Davis needs to stop the stupid rookie mistakes and learn more of the playbook IMO...

WTF...He was 5/6 for 89 yards??? Stop the mistakes. Let him develop for another 4 years like Smith??? This teams decision making is atrocious. Putting stock in the Smither for another year is BS.

Davis would learn more if he was #2. Smith should be demoted to #3 and then cut. Carr and Davis are both better QB's but of course the Smith spopporters will throw some excuses at me as to why I am wrong. The proof is the play on the field folks. Not practice.

I'm not a big Smith fan or anything close to it; but, come on... Our depth right now is correct as Smith #1, Carr #2, Davis #3. Maybe if Smith continues to underwhelm in the pre-season and Carr and Davis continue to look good against the backups Carr may takeover as #1 but no way Smith falls to #3 or Nate goes to #2 (without injury that is)...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Davis needs to stop the stupid rookie mistakes and learn more of the playbook IMO...

Let him "DEVELOP". We tend to develop and develop QB for eternity...

I agree 100%; but, with his learning disability we need to let him develop a bit slower than we would want. Maybe next year he will be further along. I do love the kids instincts...

C'mmon buddy, "disability" You dont need to write and read perfectly to win games and move the chains....

I agree 100%; but, with his learning disability we need to let him develop a bit slower than we would want. Maybe next year he will be further along. I do love the kids instincts...

C'mmon buddy, "disability" You dont need to write and read perfectly to win games and move the chains....

Well, it looks like it impacts his ability to absorb the entire playbook, or is it that you don't think Nate is really trying to pick up the O?
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Well, it looks like it impacts his ability to absorb the entire playbook, or is it that you don't think Nate is really trying to pick up the O?

I wouldnt want to absorb anything if I was playing football or any other sport...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Carr holds the ball too long. Just a bad habit he still hasn't corrected from his houston days.
Davis should be #2, IMHO. But based on performance in practice and even today's game, I can see why Carr is #2...
Nate Davis is just a pure natural football player.

Some players are natural (Tom Brady) and some are not (Peyton Manning), either type of player can be good, but the natural player usually wins more championships because they play like magic at the most important times, rather than playing the same all the time.
The natural ones can just play off the cuff, they can drive coaches crazy, but they can also save the day single handedly.
When Nate Davis rolls out, you just have a feeling that something good is going to happen (and it does). When Carr/Smith roll out, you squint your eyes and brace yourself, although it MIGHT turn out good.
I don't know what this learning disability crap is all about. Bret Farve made an entire Hall of Fame career by doing things that he did not learn from a play-book.
Who cares if there are only 20 plays in your play-book if you are marching down the field scoring touchdowns; while the other guys have the entire play-book perfectly memorized and know everybody's job, but can't actually make the play when things break down?

Perhaps Nate Davis can't memorize the whole play-book, but he sure as heck can see the whole field. He's like a more talented Charlie Whitehurst. Relegated to the shadows, because he hasn't "proven" himself.

"Missed opportunities" continues to be the story of this team. Ironically, Nate Davis does not miss very many of them, unlike some of our other players.

How do you know that is, in fact, the case??? I understand that it is a commonly held belief around here, but I dont think that any coach has actually said it...
Originally posted by abowers1984:

How do you know that is, in fact, the case??? I understand that it is a commonly held belief around here, but I dont think that any coach has actually said it...

I remember somethin about a color coded playbook last season..
not sure if that's still the case or not
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Picture a living room study session between two football players, a thick book of offensive schemes and formations and the NBA Finals as background noise.

The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

He has a tough time "getting the play out" and actually executing a given call.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Quarterback David Carr, signed to a two-year contract in March, has been receiving a significant number of reps during offseason workouts so he can learn the 49ers playbook. That has limited Davis' chances.

Coach Mike Singletary said Monday that Davis isn't coming along as quickly as the coaches would have hoped.

"He's coming, not as fast as he would like, not as fast as the coaches would like, but he's coming," Singletary said. "I think the biggest thing with Nate is to figure out how he learns and get that burning desire to do whatever it takes to be out here and to get it done. I know he can do it, it's just a matter of him doing it. Time will tell."

Davis was told of his coach's remarks for the first time after Tuesday's practice - and he didn't argue with the assessment.

He plans to reach out to Singletary soon, to "just see where he's at with me."

"He's the head coach. And now I've got to put more into it," Davis said. "That's what it all comes down to."

Speaking a day after Singletary, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said he believes Davis could challenge Carr for the backup job behind Alex Smith when the time comes.

"His progress has been impeded by the fact we have an additional quarterback, but I think his progress to this point has been OK," Raye said of Davis, the team's fifth-round draft pick in 2009 out of Ball State.

Davis' aim is to win the backup job.

"I don't want to be someone who sits on the bench their whole life," he said.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0wjIFgVxi

/quote]

You're just impatient. It takes many years to develop a QB. Not just 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7.

[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 15, 2010 at 18:52:31 ]
Originally posted by abowers1984:

"Nate Davis agreed with his coach that there is much work ahead when it comes to learning the 49ers' playbook. Dyslexia makes the quarterback's learning curve extra steep and Davis acknowledged that he's struggling with some basic X's and O's."

Read more here...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Nate Davis is just a pure natural football player.

Some players are natural (Tom Brady) and some are not (Peyton Manning), either type of player can be good, but the natural player usually wins more championships because they play like magic at the most important times, rather than playing the same all the time.
The natural ones can just play off the cuff, they can drive coaches crazy, but they can also save the day single handedly.
When Nate Davis rolls out, you just have a feeling that something good is going to happen (and it does). When Carr/Smith roll out, you squint your eyes and brace yourself, although it MIGHT turn out good.
I don't know what this learning disability crap is all about. Bret Farve made an entire Hall of Fame career by doing things that he did not learn from a play-book.
Who cares if there are only 20 plays in your play-book if you are marching down the field scoring touchdowns; while the other guys have the entire play-book perfectly memorized and know everybody's job, but can't actually make the play when things break down?

Perhaps Nate Davis can't memorize the whole play-book, but he sure as heck can see the whole field. He's like a more talented Charlie Whitehurst. Relegated to the shadows, because he hasn't "proven" himself.

"Missed opportunities" continues to be the story of this team. Ironically, Nate Davis does not miss very many of them, unlike some of our other players.

Amen to dat brother, you read my mind completely. Nate Davis needs to be giving a chance at #2, Joe montana wasn't the brightest either, he also had a slight disability. Most people with disabilities have something they are really good at, and for Davis it's making plays. Lets Him start at least the last game to prove to you smith lovers.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Carr is the backup and its not even close.. Although Davis has very good upside, let him sit back and learn, no rush!

But there's something about the way Davis plays in games that just really impresses. Yes, it's against 2nd/3rd stringers, I know...but you can't fake a natural feel for the pocket, knowing when to step up from an outside rush and the ability to throw strikes downfield while on the move.

I think some guys just need the roar of the crowd, the bright lights to be on and the pressure of actual game to really show their abilities, and Davis seems to be one of those guys.

I bet he plays better than Smith and Carr tomorrow.

Wrote this late last night.
does anyone know of a 49ers backer bar in Orlando FL?
Share 49ersWebzone