There are 370 users in the forums

Our secondary is good at the very least top 10

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
I dont know why people think our secondary is weak. Spencer is great. He's the most underatted CB in the NFL.

So then are you as satisfied with our DBs as you are with our LB or DL?

personally i like our CB i think we need more speed at S (mays should be that person) i think we need another pass rusheri think ray mac is good but i would rather have someone relace him (allen bailey maybe) also we may need another LB rusher but brooks may be that person
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
I dont know why people think our secondary is weak. Spencer is great. He's the most underatted CB in the NFL.

So then are you as satisfied with our DBs as you are with our LB or DL?

Yes, I like our starting 4. People also really under estimate what Michael Lewis does for our run game.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I think our secondary is better and deeper than Niner Talk gives it credit for.

Niner Talk likes to fret aimlessly.

Better? Yes. Deeper? No.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I think our secondary is better and deeper than Niner Talk gives it credit for.

Niner Talk likes to fret aimlessly.

Better? Yes. Deeper? No.

Alas...I'm not really sure they are better...especially at the corner position... If you all recall, Bly did a nice job when he was the starter last year, despite his attitude....and he is gone. Clements is still a big question mark, especially with faster receivers, and both starters are either on the down side of 30 or pushing it... If ANY injuries occur to either starter or T Brown, this team is in trouble. I'm really surprised they didn't make more of an effort to upgrade this position in some way before now. Perhaps they are waiting for the cuts in training camp but that is risky.

The team should be better at safety I grant you, mainly because Goldson, Taylor, and R Smith all are more experienced now...but overall? This group could actually regress this year...

Next year, the Niners should draft two CBs in the first few rounds... It will be the biggest area of need by far....
I'm not gonna lie I am a lil worried about our secondary. Nate clements really disappointed us. Tarell brown is a question mark and ain't no Dre bly when it comes to coverage and his tackling is nothing to fear. Spencer is decent no lock down corner tho. I hope will James or paymah can step up and bump brown I would feel more confident. Paymah sounds good too hope the potential shows sooner than later. If the back ups do well in the pre season I wonder if the front office will ship em off anyway like they did sheets. Safeties are fine. That's my view.
lol
Are you new to the Webzone? When talking about our secondary, you're supposed to use this type of logic...

Clements was "benched". He sux.
Spencer ain't no pro bowler. Sux.
Bly was good, and now he's gone. That sux.
Brown didn't start. He sux too.
Lewis is old. He sucky.
Goldson pro-bowl count = 0. Sucky ducky.
Everybody knows Mays sux. That sux.
Backup safeties warm bench. They sux.
Running backs and TE's getting yards. It sux.

Therefore, our secondary SUX.

I don't think its from the Hegelian or Socratic schools of dialectic. I'm not sure where its from, but nevertheless, that's the example you should model when discussing the 49ers secondary.
^^^ LOL! I like that.

On our secondary, I totally agree with the fact that numbers were skewed because our run D was beastmode. And I think that if Brooks/Lawson can find that niche as the pass rushers they seem destined for, our defense as a whole will be downright scary. However, I am still slightly skeptical of our secondary due to the major lack of speed. Hopefully T. Brown will come to play!
Our secondary can do well at times, (Indy, Cards......) however thier inconsistencies let Favre happen....... only time will tell if our improvements can help our consistency.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Our secondary won't be top 10 without the offense being somewhere in the teens. We have a lot of solid guys on defense but they can't play non-stop. I think we'll come close.

When I look at our Defense, the first thing that comes to my mind is how great Singletary and the coaching staff did on bring out the best in what they have. When I watched the Niners last year, I saw a heart of a champion, and squad that played hard and is ready to move onto the next level. I believe that Singletary and Manusky have a huge play in our success last year bast upon there pure knowledge this game and not putting our Defense in compromising situations. When I watch last year, and a team's beat us, I believe it was bast upon that they had better talent and out played individuals, like the Philly and GB games.

Im not Knocking on SF secondary, I believe they have talent but what sticks out is the attitude of the group, the atmosphere, the heart. Some teams have players who have such great individual talent that it will always demand attention, but what the Niners have is a group who rely on each others as a whole and are learning to stop opposing forces as a whole and that is special. Its one thing to have a player who is Phenomenal but its another thing when you add a Phenomenal player to a group who plays and fight together.

If SF secondary isnt top 10 this year, then disappointed is all I can say.
If we have a top 10 secondary, we should have a top 5 defense.
LBs>DLine>Secondary
It all depends on Nasty Nate IMO. He was free lancing WAY TOO much last season and got benched for it. Hopefully, he can bounce back this season and earn that paycheck of his. Spencer and Goldson are both solid. Lewis is great against the run but I look for Smith or Mays to take over on passing downs.

They have the potential to be a top 10 unit for sure, but that all depends on Clements. After him and Spencer, the talent level really falls off.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
If we have a top 10 secondary, we should have a top 5 defense.

our D was 4TH in points......DONE
Share 49ersWebzone