Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Its never been his arm strength. His footwork sucks azz and his instincts for the position stink. Maybe after his 10th year he'll get that plant and throw thing together. Go get em Alex.

i assume u didnt watch alex play last year?

Watched every game and seen the same accuracy issues that are linked to bad footwork and bad plant and throw mechanics. Or was there more mistakes that I missed?

first of all he didnt do that bad and considering hes coming of a 2 year injury where he wasnt able to practice he did pretty good and his throwing and release is much better now his footwork has improved a lot and now its really good but considering our OLine its pretty hard to have good footwork when u have to run for ur life most of the time and his plant is fine

Ok. I respect your view. I dont agree but I respect it. I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting much improvement because mechanics aside, I still think his instincts and pocket presence even when given time to throw, are below average and all the practice in the world can't always fix that, but I hope I am wrong.

lol u obviosly dont kno s**t.... 18 td in 10 games

IF my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

If you had brains, you might have a better argument.
Originally posted by genus49:
I really don't understand why there are still Alex Smith haters. Shouldn't people be upset at the fact that the front office drafted him and then put him in a position to fail?

Let's be real here - Alex Smith had the athletic ability but anyone with a half a brain could've told you he wasn't NFL ready. He needed to be brought along slowly and protected. What did we do? We threw him out there against the best team at the time (Colts) with probably the worst offensive team if not ever definitely the worst offense that year.

Then when he showed improvement his sophmore year the coordinator change happened again and we brought in a guy who wasn't ready to run the offense in Madden let alone the NFL. Then of course there's the whole shoulder injury thing. Everyone forgets before he got hurt we were 2-1 and played a tough team like the Steelers very tough. Then Nolan threw him under the bus again by rushing him back.

The guy we're seeing right now deserves a chance and he performed well last year given the change in offense mid season which is never an easy thing.

Alex has been loyal and stayed around the team when he was on the IR something that he didn't have to do. He may never be worth that #1 overall pick but he's at least trying to make something of himself and I don't for the life of me understand why there are still people hating on him when every single 49er fan should be cheering for him to finally do something good and break out. It helps the team and Smith is a pretty good guy to boot.

Now you want to see a guy to hate - look no further than across the Bay in Jamarcus Russell. That guy got paid, got fat and terrible. He's not even trying. You don't see Smith running around with bling and fur coats acting like he doesn't give a flying f*ck. He's out there trying to learn the offense and get on the same page as his teammates.

Like I said he may not be the answer and he may never be the guy we all wanted him to be...but to hate the man is just pathetic. I can never hate a player if they're putting in 100%. If you sweat and bleed for this team you have my support.

This. I do not, nor have I ever understood the extremists on this site. I think the majority have some serious character issues and just come here to anonymously release their frustrations. That would explain some of the idiotic rants you see here almost every day.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by genus49:
I really don't understand why there are still Alex Smith haters. Shouldn't people be upset at the fact that the front office drafted him and then put him in a position to fail?

Let's be real here - Alex Smith had the athletic ability but anyone with a half a brain could've told you he wasn't NFL ready. He needed to be brought along slowly and protected. What did we do? We threw him out there against the best team at the time (Colts) with probably the worst offensive team if not ever definitely the worst offense that year.

Then when he showed improvement his sophmore year the coordinator change happened again and we brought in a guy who wasn't ready to run the offense in Madden let alone the NFL. Then of course there's the whole shoulder injury thing. Everyone forgets before he got hurt we were 2-1 and played a tough team like the Steelers very tough. Then Nolan threw him under the bus again by rushing him back.

The guy we're seeing right now deserves a chance and he performed well last year given the change in offense mid season which is never an easy thing.

Alex has been loyal and stayed around the team when he was on the IR something that he didn't have to do. He may never be worth that #1 overall pick but he's at least trying to make something of himself and I don't for the life of me understand why there are still people hating on him when every single 49er fan should be cheering for him to finally do something good and break out. It helps the team and Smith is a pretty good guy to boot.

Now you want to see a guy to hate - look no further than across the Bay in Jamarcus Russell. That guy got paid, got fat and terrible. He's not even trying. You don't see Smith running around with bling and fur coats acting like he doesn't give a flying f*ck. He's out there trying to learn the offense and get on the same page as his teammates.

Like I said he may not be the answer and he may never be the guy we all wanted him to be...but to hate the man is just pathetic. I can never hate a player if they're putting in 100%. If you sweat and bleed for this team you have my support.

This. I do not, nor have I ever understood the extremists on this site. I think the majority have some serious character issues and just come here to anonymously release their frustrations. That would explain some of the idiotic rants you see here almost every day.

man, no kidding. Smith was never put in a position to succeed this this year. Lets see how he does. Besides, hoping smith fails so all the Smith supporters are wrong is also hoping the team fails
Its never been his arm strength. His footwork sucks azz and his instincts for the position stink. Maybe after his 10th year he'll get that plant and throw thing together. Go get em Alex.

Watched every game and seen the same accuracy issues that are linked to bad footwork and bad plant and throw mechanics. Or was there more mistakes that I missed?

first of all he didnt do that bad and considering hes coming of a 2 year injury where he wasnt able to practice he did pretty good and his throwing and release is much better now his footwork has improved a lot and now its really good but considering our OLine its pretty hard to have good footwork when u have to run for ur life most of the time and his plant is fine

Ok. I respect your view. I dont agree but I respect it. I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting much improvement because mechanics aside, I still think his instincts and pocket presence even when given time to throw, are below average and all the practice in the world can't always fix that, but I hope I am wrong.

Fvck off. I hope all you Alex Smith d!ck tasters don't run and hide when he sh!ts himself for yet another year. But it'll be Singletary's or Raye's fault if he fails again right? GTFOH.

"18 td's in 10 games"

Of the 10 games, which were meaningful? He was only coming in to play because the team was unraveling and he did nothing to stop that. How many of those game could he have won if he had some nuts and dealt with pressure well enough to lead a comeback? Yeah. You go ahead and celebrate that. Yippee. Toss confetti and sound the air horn. He's garbage. You will feel like an azz when you realize that you and some of your Smith supporter buddies were only the last ones to know that.

"well if u expand that to 16 games that would be 28tds 5 less than manning not bad after not practicing or playiong in the nfl for 2 years after coming off a serious injury "

IF my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. Yet another Smith apologist going to the "IF" card. Well here's another "IF" for you Alex Smith lover, "IF" the organization was smart, they would have realized a long time ago his problem is between his ears more than anything else.

5 years deep and he throws his first 300 yard game and I'm supposed to be happy about that? 5 FVCKING YEARS!!! How about manning a come from behind victory instead of shrinking like swimming pool d!ck when the pressure is on. A bunch of fvcking masochists all you Smith fans are. You Smith supporters just love pain and suffering. Well get happy, because your in line for more of it in a few months.

If it's that bad try rooting for another team

go Niners
HEY GUYS i got an IDEA lets throw away smith ,,,, a quarterback whoes going to do good for us and lets get MCNABB FOR 1 YEAR AND SIGN SOME s**tTY FREE AGENTS TO HUGE CONTRACTS SO WE CANT RESIGN WILLIS VD OR GOLDSON.... this is wut most smith haters would like to see happen...

Terry Donahue, is that you?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
HEY GUYS i got an IDEA lets throw away smith ,,,, a quarterback whoes going to do good for us and lets get MCNABB FOR 1 YEAR AND SIGN SOME s**tTY FREE AGENTS TO HUGE CONTRACTS SO WE CANT RESIGN WILLIS VD OR GOLDSON.... this is wut most smith haters would like to see happen...

Terry Donahue, is that you?

Why can't we resign Willis, VD or Goldson? Aren't we about 40 million under the cap right now?
Originally posted by 9eridiot:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
The haters will ALWAYS hate on Smith.

If we go 9-7 or better they'll say the same stupid things about how he didn't do this and didn't do that and his footwork sucks(throw your F'n hat in the ring then) and he can't read defenses... ...and if he takes us to the playoff then it's all about he SHOULD be taking us there every year and... ...if he takes us to the Super Bowl then its the same... ...if he WON a Super Bowl they would STILL hate on him talkin all their

But I never ONCE hear about how our Line doesn't come through for him or any of our QBs'. I don't EVER hear about how our team never keeps continuity or how the Receivers drop the ball or

You Alex haters just STFU about the man. I swear if you an me were in the same room watching a game someone would be getting their ass kicked. Cause I truly cannot stand loud mouth jerks interrupting my games. And that is how you come across to me. You come off like you think your crap don't stink and you could do no wrong.

How bout we just agree to let it go one way or the other? Let's see what he has by the end of the season. If he fails we're DEFINITELY moving on. If he succeeds he'll be here for a few more years and you haters can reload and try again.

In any case this is the lamest 9er related argument given all the damn issues that this team has.

Sorry bout the rant guys, I'm just fed up with the infighting.

~Ceadder

You speak the truth, thankyou

Here's what I think is the truth. Alex is not necessarily the problem, but is symptomatic of a disease within this organization.

Obviously, that disease starts with ownership - John York.

He has reduced this franchise to mediocrity and as long as you go along without questioning decisions that are being made, you are enabling him.

We had a once-mighty franchise that now is trying to convince its fanbase that it should settle for making the playoffs some day and be happy with that lofty goal.

Imagine Steeler fans or Cowboy fans accepting that.

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Then take your anger out on York himself for not spending as much as those other teams rather than on our QB who isn't a world beater yet but is improving. It's not Smith's fault we didn't make a big splash this offseason. I mean you're saying you're pissed at our owner but all you do is rip the QB. But it's not like we're not getting better. We have 2 first round picks in a loaded draft, we've got guys like VD, Willis, Goldson extensions coming up. We're trying to build something that actually looks like it might be a promising group of players to build around, and we're not at a super bowl level yet so all you're doing is complaining about mediocrity. The year before the Steelers won the title they weren't that great, bounced in the first, and the year after(both of their last 2 titles btw) they got their ass kicked and didn't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying we have the group that they do, because we don't or atleast not yet. But there is something here, with an OC who might not be great but we can actually keep him around and he's better for the team than the last 2 assclowns we had. We have a really good Defensive Coordinator. We had like 4 or 5 pro bowlers, which is a lot. We have a QB who is getting better, even if you don't think he's the guy 18 TDs in 10 games is pretty good and threw 60.5% completions, that's better than a guy like McNabb(no I'm not saying Smith is a better player, but all people ever do is rip Smith on accuracy but then they want a guy who is less accurate last season and older than him?) but he gets no credit for that, and this is the first time he's really going to be sure about the offense and different stuff he can do in it in his career. Then you got guys like VD who are getting utilized better, and Crabtree getting better building a good rapport with his QB. Really offensively our main need is RT and LG, and at LG we may just improve because we improved our OLine coach.

When you're building something good than you got to give it some time, and this specific group has only had 1.5 years together. The smart thing to do is not blow anything up or make any dramatic changes until you know how far these guys can go with experience and chemistry under their belts, and then after that you make changes to see what you need to improve on unless it's a glaring weakness(like RT). I don't think the problem is we're settling for mediocrity, I think the problem is it takes time for guys to chemistry when you're changing everything every year and we just need to let this group get better.

You're right! My issue is with York, not Alex.

Here's the example. When the Niners were world class and our #1 QB started to get some injuries, what did we do? Did we bring somebody like JT O'Sullivan or Dorsey or Hill? No, we brought in Steve Young.

When Alex got injured, we should have brought in equal or greater talent, not a stopgap measure.

The problem we have is that studs like Willis and VD and Justin and Goldson who are ready to win now, but they have to wait and hope for a QB to develop.

That's not the way winning franchises operate.

Newflash, Steve was traded to us and could have just as easily flopped on his face if he wasn't competing with QB1 who happened to get back on the field and was protected by the Genius. That protection was in the games where we were clearly winning the game Steve would go in and sub. He got to learn the system w/o the pressure of being QB1. Unfortunately it led to him having to deal with inscrutable pressure when he became the Starter. You think that taking over for Montana was hard? Try following those two. Garcia probably threw a huge party when he left the team. Of course T.O. was still on it at that point.

And now Alex follows and people are still infected with Hero Worship of Joe and Steve that Alex can't just be Alex. He has to do EVERYTHING correctly, if it's 1 inch over the Receivers head then he overthrew it by a mile. What's funny is that many people stated that Crabtree made him look good because he had to jump up to get the ball. In fact that couldn't be further from the truth. Crabtree actually jumped forward to the ball in lots of cases rather than allowing it to come to him. I'm not saying that Tree is a bad Receiver. I think that mostly it's impatience. Wanting to go up and get it to make certain that the DB couldn't make a play on it. But if you watch Tree's entire season via the YouTube review, you'll see that there were FEW instances where Alex was "off by a mile", it's just infuriating to see the garbage that gets heaped on that guy. When was the last game that he had an average of 4 seconds from snap to outcome?

I don't think that there was even one game where snap to outcome that Alex had more than 2.2 seconds on average. To me that is a combination of things but it all starts at the snap.

In any case, it comes with the territory of being a 9er QB. If you don't do everything just so, you get crapped on. Which to me is complete BS.

I've been fortunate enough to witness not one but two HoF level QBs'.

As far as blaming ownership? Why cause we couldn't keep a Coordinator from becoming a HC? Er make that TWO in a row.And one of them at the WORST time ever to lose them.

Why cause the draft is a crapshoot?

Cause no big name FA players wanted to sign with us?

It can't be for being "cheap" where the Players are concerned. Cause the Cap had the money set aside to take care of any contract that was signed so long as it fit in the ceiling. Clements contract should tell you that much.

Am I happy that I have to sit and watch a bad season every year? Hell no I'm not. I'm spoiled too dammit. But I believe that my job as a fan is to critique the areas that need to be worked on. If that is QB so be it. O'Sullivan sucked ass. He kept making stupid throws and holding onto the ball too long. Yes behind a crap Line. But to KNOWINGLY make the same stupid mistakes in the same game? That is a man that deserves criticism. I didn't criticize Hill for anything but his freakin arm. When you're 6'4" 250 lbs and you can't throw a spiral or even 35-40 yard passes without effort then you are NOT a Starting caliber QB imho. Could you imagine Dan Marino or Dan Fouts not being able to?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
The haters will ALWAYS hate on Smith.

If we go 9-7 or better they'll say the same stupid things about how he didn't do this and didn't do that and his footwork sucks(throw your F'n hat in the ring then) and he can't read defenses... ...and if he takes us to the playoff then it's all about he SHOULD be taking us there every year and... ...if he takes us to the Super Bowl then its the same... ...if he WON a Super Bowl they would STILL hate on him talkin all their

But I never ONCE hear about how our Line doesn't come through for him or any of our QBs'. I don't EVER hear about how our team never keeps continuity or how the Receivers drop the ball or

You Alex haters just STFU about the man. I swear if you an me were in the same room watching a game someone would be getting their ass kicked. Cause I truly cannot stand loud mouth jerks interrupting my games. And that is how you come across to me. You come off like you think your crap don't stink and you could do no wrong.

How bout we just agree to let it go one way or the other? Let's see what he has by the end of the season. If he fails we're DEFINITELY moving on. If he succeeds he'll be here for a few more years and you haters can reload and try again.

In any case this is the lamest 9er related argument given all the damn issues that this team has.

Sorry bout the rant guys, I'm just fed up with the infighting.

~Ceadder

You speak the truth, thankyou

Here's what I think is the truth. Alex is not necessarily the problem, but is symptomatic of a disease within this organization.

Obviously, that disease starts with ownership - John York.

He has reduced this franchise to mediocrity and as long as you go along without questioning decisions that are being made, you are enabling him.

We had a once-mighty franchise that now is trying to convince its fanbase that it should settle for making the playoffs some day and be happy with that lofty goal.

Imagine Steeler fans or Cowboy fans accepting that.

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Then take your anger out on York himself for not spending as much as those other teams rather than on our QB who isn't a world beater yet but is improving. It's not Smith's fault we didn't make a big splash this offseason. I mean you're saying you're pissed at our owner but all you do is rip the QB. But it's not like we're not getting better. We have 2 first round picks in a loaded draft, we've got guys like VD, Willis, Goldson extensions coming up. We're trying to build something that actually looks like it might be a promising group of players to build around, and we're not at a super bowl level yet so all you're doing is complaining about mediocrity. The year before the Steelers won the title they weren't that great, bounced in the first, and the year after(both of their last 2 titles btw) they got their ass kicked and didn't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying we have the group that they do, because we don't or atleast not yet. But there is something here, with an OC who might not be great but we can actually keep him around and he's better for the team than the last 2 assclowns we had. We have a really good Defensive Coordinator. We had like 4 or 5 pro bowlers, which is a lot. We have a QB who is getting better, even if you don't think he's the guy 18 TDs in 10 games is pretty good and threw 60.5% completions, that's better than a guy like McNabb(no I'm not saying Smith is a better player, but all people ever do is rip Smith on accuracy but then they want a guy who is less accurate last season and older than him?) but he gets no credit for that, and this is the first time he's really going to be sure about the offense and different stuff he can do in it in his career. Then you got guys like VD who are getting utilized better, and Crabtree getting better building a good rapport with his QB. Really offensively our main need is RT and LG, and at LG we may just improve because we improved our OLine coach.

When you're building something good than you got to give it some time, and this specific group has only had 1.5 years together. The smart thing to do is not blow anything up or make any dramatic changes until you know how far these guys can go with experience and chemistry under their belts, and then after that you make changes to see what you need to improve on unless it's a glaring weakness(like RT). I don't think the problem is we're settling for mediocrity, I think the problem is it takes time for guys to chemistry when you're changing everything every year and we just need to let this group get better.

You're right! My issue is with York, not Alex.

Here's the example. When the Niners were world class and our #1 QB started to get some injuries, what did we do? Did we bring somebody like JT O'Sullivan or Dorsey or Hill? No, we brought in Steve Young.

When Alex got injured, we should have brought in equal or greater talent, not a stopgap measure.

The problem we have is that studs like Willis and VD and Justin and Goldson who are ready to win now, but they have to wait and hope for a QB to develop.

That's not the way winning franchises operate.

I see what ya mean! But ya gotta look at the facts here! How many teams have ever have had 2 back to back qb of the hall of fame caliber? Then ya gotta look at the facts it was pure luck the tampa bay bucs and 49ers even had the pleasure to be in the pressence of steve young! Steve young once the 9th string qb at byu! Not favored due to the relation of the founder of the college he attended! Worked his way up to #1 qb, then to push his way to top flight qb in college ball! Then to get signed in a prominently new football league! The league flopped! Big time! To the extent I'm almost positive young is still gettin a mil a year from that scrapped teams owner? Some one please correct me if I'm wrong!

Then to get picked up by the worst team in the league, now could be argued with the lions as worst team of all time! Young had no weapons and lasted 2 seasons! The legendary bill walsh saw mad potential in young so after the 2 yrs wit tampa he became a bench warmer on the niners behing the great joe montana! Imo it took some luck to get steve young people don't just let great #bs go! Tampa had absolutely no one to help young! Ring a bell same as when alex came to the niners. Now I'm not saying alex is the greatest qb ever! But he will turn some heads this year! And can anyone name 1 team with a better #2 qb on their roster then their number 1? Last I seen that was the giants with warner warming the bench! And for a minute with the cards with warner! That great number 2 qb is very rare! So rare free agency was put in place to keep such occurances from happening!

Didn't ya see we have david carr now?

2 great qbs are a rarity! On 1 team in the nfl these days, hell it was a rarity before free agency. The packers planned way ahead before favre started on with his drama train! Rodgers is good, hall of fame I dunno yet. it is too early to be seen! Who took over for marino? Who took over for elway? How bout phill sims?
Joe and steve, bledsoe and tom brady are a very very rare exception! I don't know take it for what its worth!

great post

Thanks man! Same to you with the one above! Ya brought up some major truth bro!

Can't argue with that. Only Steve is not getting anything from that owner. I believe that he filed bankruptcy. Good luck getting retribution for that.

Oh and there is NO cap right now. And may NOT be a season of Football if there is a lockout. So in effect people want the Yorks to make the move to trade for a guy who would only play for ONE year and who if things go completely FUBAR may not even play a single down of Football for whatever team that trades for him.

Seems to me that "cheap" is the way to go in this instance. And should there be a Cap? We have a NUMBER of players that are coming up for extensions. Willis is just one name. Imagine a big lucrative contract to keep "McNabb"(or any other big name FA) happy. BAM! Cap gets re-installed and the team that paid big $$ now has to part with either that player or cannot re-sign another player that they otherwise would have been able to sign.

But yup, it's all the owners fault too. It's his fault since he didn't push for bigger payouts for FA players prior to this coming season.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 4, 2010 at 06:50:03 ]

Fvck off. I hope all you Alex Smith d!ck tasters don't run and hide when he sh!ts himself for yet another year. But it'll be Singletary's or Raye's fault if he fails again right? GTFOH.

"18 td's in 10 games"

Of the 10 games, which were meaningful? He was only coming in to play because the team was unraveling and he did nothing to stop that. How many of those game could he have won if he had some nuts and dealt with pressure well enough to lead a comeback? Yeah. You go ahead and celebrate that. Yippee. Toss confetti and sound the air horn. He's garbage. You will feel like an azz when you realize that you and some of your Smith supporter buddies were only the last ones to know that.

"well if u expand that to 16 games that would be 28tds 5 less than manning not bad after not practicing or playiong in the nfl for 2 years after coming off a serious injury "

IF my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. Yet another Smith apologist going to the "IF" card. Well here's another "IF" for you Alex Smith lover, "IF" the organization was smart, they would have realized a long time ago his problem is between his ears more than anything else.

5 years deep and he throws his first 300 yard game and I'm supposed to be happy about that? 5 FVCKING YEARS!!! How about manning a come from behind victory instead of shrinking like swimming pool d!ck when the pressure is on. A bunch of fvcking masochists all you Smith fans are. You Smith supporters just love pain and suffering. Well get happy, because your in line for more of it in a few months.

Try remembering that we are all 49ers supporters here.
a chance to get mcnabb is just something we shouldn't pass up if its just a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. he's only 32, qbs play well into their late 30's

Originally posted by iLL49er:
a chance to get mcnabb is just something we shouldn't pass up if its just a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. he's only 32, qbs play well into their late 30's

Devils advocate here... say we got McNabb.

Which QB takes a hike? We ain't keepin 4 on the roster. We lost a scrub RB(albeit a really talented scrub) off our PS last season. So we can't even hope to protect Davis there.

We just signed Carr to a 2 year deal.

So the odd man out is Alex, a guy on the cusp of something if given the chance.

So who to cut?

Oh and let's take this a step further. Say we DO keep 4 on the roster. Who is the odd man out if and when the cap is re-installed? Willis? Duke? Or even the odd man out if it DOESN'T come back? Cause this team is small market. I know I'm not the only guy that remembers Deion playing with this team for one year and then getting paid big money by Phallus. I wouldn't blame our guys one bit if they moved on for more dough. I'd respect them more if they didn't but...

So yeah let's not pass up McNabb a guy that put approximately 24 games on the field over the last 3 seasons. A guy that may not go the distance but is just so much better than the guy we have now. To play for a team that hasn't seen the Playoffs in 9 years and had an average of 6 wins over that span of time. 8 wins doesn't get you into the Playoffs btw.

"18 td's in 10 games"

i dont really have time to comment but all i have to say is get ready to eat crow this year

This is a CLASSIC example of hater.

Oh and of the ten games that he came in to keep the team from unraveling? Seems to me that it worked. Given that there were only TWO games where he just wasn't that prepared. And in BOTH of them he still played pretty well all things considered. Not HoF level no. But for a guy that had all but sat on his ass riding Pine for 2 years straight? Yeah.

I'm not saying that we even make the Playoffs. I'm just saying that he did enough imho, to be able to play out his contract and convince me that he is QB1 material.

I'm spoiled as hell having been in the area and having seen every game from '78 on. I thought that Rattay would have been serviceable. But I also understand that when a HC is not sold on the current staff he will try to replace you. I wanted Edwards, he chose Alex. I'm going to ride that train off the tracks if that's where it goes so long as it's running. I know what a bad QB looks like. Alex looks average right now, but he is getting better so imho he's not a bad QB. I really hope Steve follows up on talking with Alex. If he does, the sky is the limit.

~Ceadder

I would pass on him. I don't think the QB position is the make or break piece of the puzzle for the 9ers to get to the playoffs. I'd rather get another olinemen or a d-back.
all fair points on the improvement in alex but when you look at his last 4 games, he mightly struggled against philadelphia and arizona (we won arizona but he didn't look good that game) and then he didn't really dominate against the lions and rams in the last 2 games of the season when those 2 teams were atrocious.

we were willing to almost get kurt warner last year...now mcnabb is out there at 32yrs old ready to be snatched.

yes mcnabb has been hurt but andy reid has put him in a bad situation throwing so much, if mcnabb is giving a strong running game and you let him attack vertically the guy is an animal he probably has the best deep ball in the NFL.

a more conservative offense where mcnabb isn't asked to throw 70% of the game will help him a LOT
all fair points on the improvement in alex but when you look at his last 4 games, he mightly struggled against philadelphia and arizona (we won arizona but he didn't look good that game) and then he didn't really dominate against the lions and rams in the last 2 games of the season when those 2 teams were atrocious.

we were willing to almost get kurt warner last year...now mcnabb is out there at 32yrs old ready to be snatched.

yes mcnabb has been hurt but andy reid has put him in a bad situation throwing so much, if mcnabb is giving a strong running game and you let him attack vertically the guy is an animal he probably has the best deep ball in the NFL.

a more conservative offense where mcnabb isn't asked to throw 70% of the game will help him a LOT

Ummm our Offense the way it's built(i.e. solid play makers in Davis, Gore, Tree and possibly Morgan and Hill and a garbage Line) says that McNabb would have to throw more than Alex does. He's not nearly as mobile as Alex due to the injuries, and keeping Frank fresh by limiting his carries while boosting his touches through the air? The ONLY upside I see to picking up McNabb is we could pick his brain about working Frank in on the LoS as another Receiver. That's all that could come of it.

You do that if your missing piece is QB. You don't do that if you have 4 missing pieces, 2 of which are Offensive Linemen.

I hope that Solari is the guy this team needs to coach the OLine(all indications are that he is) cause we haven't had a solid OL since Bob passed away. Which surprises me quite a bit cause Heitmann was here when Bob was still around. The old man would put a foot in someone's ass with the panty waist blocking mentality that has permeated this unit. I can name guys that seemed to always be on the questionable list that would be on the field every Sunday if you didn't hide their gear. A few of em might have gone out anyway.

I miss those days R.I.P. Coach McKittrick.

~Ceadder
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Get Smith a half way decent line and another solid receiver and we will be good to go. Not having the worst return game in the NFL would also help.
Share 49ersWebzone