LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 288 users in the forums

Issac Soapoaga

Shop Find 49ers gear online
HAHA SOAPOAGA
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
HAHA SOAPOAGA

[ Edited by bigmike55 on May 7, 2010 at 09:12:19 ]
ive always had high expectations for big sop, but the man does eat up blockers like no other. i think our d line is kick arce. balmer will step up in a few years. he's just raw, same as sopoaga.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Not everyone can play at Justin Smith's level.

He's a solid starter and his consistency is a present surprise.

There is no reason why Jim Tomsula should not be considered for DC or potential HC jobs this season.
I've watched him this year...and I just can't get excited about his play. Ok, he's big, strong and does take on multiple blockers at times...but, know what, so do Franklin and Smith. I can see their impact...I really can't see Sopoaga's. For what the Niners are paying him, he should be doing more...that's the rub.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Sopoaga is no Haloti Ngata, but he does stand his ground and helps set the edge for the L-side. He may not be the Pro Bowl player like the other two DL starters, but there's a reason McDonald or Balmer cannot unseat Sopoaga.

McDonald and Soap rotate with pass/rush situations. Soap in for running downs, McDonald in for passing downs. Neither one is really the "starter".
For what they ask Soap to do on 1st/2nd downs, I'm more than satisified with his performance. We have the 5th best rush defense in the league, and Ice is a big part of that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Sopoaga is no Haloti Ngata, but he does stand his ground and helps set the edge for the L-side. He may not be the Pro Bowl player like the other two DL starters, but there's a reason McDonald or Balmer cannot unseat Sopoaga.

McDonald and Soap rotate with pass/rush situations. Soap in for running downs, McDonald in for passing downs. Neither one is really the "starter".

I know that, but you would think with McDonald's pass rushing and play making abilities, he would've beat out Sopoaga as a starter. McDonald doesn't always come in on 3rd down either.
That's the problem I have with him...they're paying him well, but the expectations aren't high...something's wrong with that equation!
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
I'm pretty sure McDonald subs in for Franklin, that's what I've seen for the past couple of weeks I might be wrong tho.

Yeah, I noticed RM was playing inside vs 'Zona, too...I think he might be more effective at DE, but whatever works. With Soap, just seems to me if we're paying him well (which we are) we should get more production. Would love to see Balmer really step up and take the position...he's had a setback with injury, but should still be able to do it once he's healthy.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
First of all I understand that his position especially as a 3-4 DE is to draw defenders and not really a stat juggernaut, but

........................Tackle Assist...Solo..Sack..FF
Aubrayo Franklin....28.....19......9......2.0....0
Justin Smith...........45......31.....14.....2.5....2
Isaac Sopoaga.......23......15.......8......1.0...0

clearly Ike hasn't made as much of an impact as the other two,

my question is, is he a keeper or should we he step down for balmer?

He was drafted to be a project, and has he developed or still need more years?

Great spelling. You only misspelled his first and last name. You should give a shot to the middle name too.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
He has been solid as a rock. He has been doing more two-gapping than Franklin and has been doing a great job of that while holding his posistion and getting penetration. He has been terrific vs the run and even given us a solid pass rush even though he is taken out on 3rd downs and passing downs.

Issac Sopoaga is a very solid and underrated player.

I think he is a solid player, and getting it done, regardless of his stats. He plays well within the system and has developed a good chemistry with Franklin and Smith. So unless the opportunity comes along to replace him with someone better, via draft or free agency, he's a keeper. If a replacement does come along then we make him a back up, trade or cut him........
Compare those numbers to another top tier Defense that allow their Backers penetrate the Backfield and make stops.

Hell even Gruden pointed out that our Line allows Bam Bam to be the stud ball seeking Linebacker that he is.

You can't pay enough for that kind of production and Icebox is locked up for a REASONABLE amount.

Stats are nice an all but it's the intangibles that make our Line a premiere Line. I've been saying this for a LONG time. If our Line can fill the gaps on Run downs as well as Passing downs then does it matter if the Linebackers are the guys that get constant pressure in the Backfield?

That constant pressure leads to turnovers as well as 3 and outs which to me is just as good. I could give a rats furry @$$ about Sacks. Those are beauty stats imho. Too much hoopla is made over the Sack stat.

~Ceadder
He does his job which is to occupy blockers. He isn't a pro bowler but hardly any 3-4 dlinemen are.
Share 49ersWebzone