There are 262 users in the forums

Who Is More To Blame For Offensive Failures This Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Is More To Blame For Offensive Failures This Year

I think raye is fine. The players need to play better. Yea, some of rayes calls were bad, but the players do no favors in making him look good. The game he did open it up (Titans game) the players didn't catch stuff, Alex threw poorly and made raye look silly.

Talent needs to improve. Period.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
All the above.

When the Oline does block. WR's get open QB throws bad pass. Or QB throws good pass and WR drops it or doesn't get open.

WR gets open the Oline doesn't block.

The playcalling is more or less the horrible run plays we run. Lose the FB and spread the offense. For the love of God can we please run something off tackle instead of everything up the gut.
playcalling is bad but its not the main reason why our offense is struggling

answer to this question is o line both guard spots and our RT needs to be replaced next year
combination of the first two choices
The OL. They haven't opened up very many holes for Gore to run or Coffee to run and they haven't protected Hill or Smith well at all. OL's been a mess, we've lost our 2 starting tackles, and our guards aren't very good. The main problem I have with Raye is his run plays up the middle instead of maybe some runs to the outside, or heck getting defenses to back off by throwing WR screens(we've started to more with Crabby though).
Same as the last few years, Scots inability to do his job of getting better talent. Bill Walsh drafted 3/4 of his starting defensive backfield, in one draft. Walsh also added FA Dwight Hicks and all of them started in the SuperBowl. They all started in the Pro Bowl the season after that. The only defensive backfield ever to do so. Think Scot can do anything close to that?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
All the above.

When the Oline does block. WR's get open QB throws bad pass. Or QB throws good pass and WR drops it or doesn't get open.

WR gets open the Oline doesn't block.

The playcalling is more or less the horrible run plays we run. Lose the FB and spread the offense. For the love of God can we please run something off tackle instead of everything up the gut.

this pretty much says it all. BUT i put s bit more of it on raye. the defense has a strong idea of what is coming, which then makes it hard to execute.
to me it's the oline coach. he has an average line coach career. i read in an article that a team(dolphins i think) let'em go cause of his average or less than avg coaching. the year he coach the line, they were mid to lowers 20's. the next with basically the same line but different oline coach got them into the mid to late teens. i read a reply somewhere that the they hoped the TE coach gets the job cause of what he has done with VD. if they don't get a better oline coach somewhere else i hope they at least make that in house move.
All of the above. The players need to play better and some positions they just need better players. Raye has had soem bad calls also.

To me its just flat out EXECUTION. No one is on the same page at all times or even half of the time. It comes from the lack of continuity of the offense and they don't know each other. Hopefully the long week will help them get a little rhythm and they can show up the Packers
O-Line and FB... Our O-Line needs to beef up the interior and we need a mauler like Okung from Okl. St. to solidify the edges.

I love Norris, but he doesn't seem to be blowing people up on a consistent basis. He gets on his man but he gets stood up allot and can't drive through blocks like he used to, which causes Gore to have to find another hole rather than the one his FB should be opening up.
Should add Foerster with the OL. To be CONSISTENTLY horrible means there must be horribly CONSISTENT coaching.
Gotta go with O-Line.

We've had problems at RT and OG all year. We're getting little to no push in the running game, consistently blowing protections in the passing game, and just flat out losing the one-on-one battles on key downs. If you put a good QB behind this line (even with a great OC), than we'd still struggle mightily to win games.

Raye is the only other option that I would consider, but he has at least attempted to adjust his playcalling to Alex & Crabtree (though we turn away from spreading things out at key moments in games). He's been the first OC to actually get production from VD as well. I'm not saying he isn't part of the problem, but he certainly isn't the biggest part imo.
O-line

Rayes playcalling is actually getting a little bit better, still needs improvement but getting better

Alex is playing ok, he needs to win us a game though to show he is headed in the right direction, and now that bruce is no longer a starter and Hill is getting more playing time the WR are getting better

So when play draws up a good play the line needs to block and and give alex time to get the ball to the WR who need to hold on to the ball and make plays.

EXECUTE
Share 49ersWebzone