There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Far Are We From the Top

Not that far, just an owner, GM, coach, offensive coordinator, QB,Pass rusher, five OL. Other than that we are almost there.
This year we are a team that wins based on limiting penalties and having positive turnover numbers. Every game we lost also lost the turnover battle. With that said to be a team that can win while making mistakes we need:

OL coach
2 OL
Dominant pass rusher at LB or DE
Depth at CB
Probably need to look at safety
Probably will need a NT to replace Franklin
Originally posted by 190836:
Not that far, just an owner, GM, coach, offensive coordinator, QB,Pass rusher, five OL. Other than that we are almost there.

This.

People who think we are close are delusional.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 190836:
Not that far, just an owner, GM, coach, offensive coordinator, QB,Pass rusher, five OL. Other than that we are almost there.

This.

People who think we are close are delusional.

so your saying a team that not only plays competitve football weekin & weekout(even going back to last year when sign took over) & holds leads going into the 4th quarter before choking it away(I will admit it & you have to to whether you like it or not) is not near the top then i don't know what is. It's not that having a lead for a series or two, i'm talking for MOST of the game(like the colts game) or going back & forth(cards, titans, vikings) but still holding for the most part. the subject says how far not whether we are on top. yall talk like this is the 03'-06' team or we're like the raiders or the browns & we ain't that bad. at times our offense seems like it but(like i said we are choke artist) they always find away to get the points(whether the o, d or st). with all the moral victories we have you can't say the niners aren't on their way & if they're not then they're doing a h3ll of job playing the part. but you have yours & i have mine. GO NINERS!!!!
we're a Favre hail mary and a Addai halfback pass away from being on top..................................




Agree w/Big Ron...biggest focus is rightly on OL, but our RB corps also needs upgrading. I was watching the Ravens-Browns game, and they were touting their group: Ray Rice, McGahee and Leron McClain. Compare that with what we have...and you can see why we need an upgrade. That's just one team...all the best teams have quality depth and we don't.
Stats don't matter in this instance. How far are we from the top? I think seasons have momentum swings in them just like games. We could turn it for better or worse in any game. I have a feeling this weekend's game against the packers will tell us how far we are from the top. Not to say I think the Packers are very good because I really don't. But this is the stretch of the season that defines you as a team. We are in the thick of things right now and we're a team playing under pressure. You can tell everything about a team by how they perform when everything is on the line. This weekend will give us a good idea.

Go Niners!
  • Mex49
  • Member
  • Posts: 2,979
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
We are two offensive lineman and one pass rusher away from being a top team.

J

Really, just two?
hella close
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I think the Niners are a mid range team right now.... It appears they are about as good as their current record. Look at Atlanta...they are 5-4 and they just dismantled the Niners on the road. SF isn't nearly as good as that team.

Here are the "problem" areas IMHO...
QB (neither Smith nor Hill has really impressed)
RB (except for Gore....who has an injury history a mile long)
OL (the team needs at least two decent OTs and another decent OG in order to be respectable)

OLB (both starters have underperformed this year and are just not contributing much...and there is little depth at this position)
DE (aside from J Smith there is little pass rush ability at this position)
CB (not much depth)

Bottom line? Everyone who pays attention to the NFL knows that the areas the Niners needed to address more than any others after last year were pass rusher and OL.... They didn't really address either....and that is why this team has a losing record and will continue to lose until it does address these key areas.
I think the team is at least a half dozen good players away from being a solid playoff team.

That's no way to think! look at ATL and they dismantled our team.....is what you said. By that logic, we almost beat the Colts and dismantled Manning, and Favre and look at that. The Ariz and NE lost to ind. so we must be better,,,,RIGHT!??

i can't stomach people that make points that way w/o logic. It's about matchups, plain and simple.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I think the Niners are a mid range team right now.... It appears they are about as good as their current record. Look at Atlanta...they are 5-4 and they just dismantled the Niners on the road. SF isn't nearly as good as that team.

Here are the "problem" areas IMHO...
QB (neither Smith nor Hill has really impressed)
RB (except for Gore....who has an injury history a mile long)
OL (the team needs at least two decent OTs and another decent OG in order to be respectable)

OLB (both starters have underperformed this year and are just not contributing much...and there is little depth at this position)
DE (aside from J Smith there is little pass rush ability at this position)
CB (not much depth)

Bottom line? Everyone who pays attention to the NFL knows that the areas the Niners needed to address more than any others after last year were pass rusher and OL.... They didn't really address either....and that is why this team has a losing record and will continue to lose until it does address these key areas.
I think the team is at least a half dozen good players away from being a solid playoff team.

That's no way to think! look at ATL and they dismantled our team.....is what you said. By that logic, we almost beat the Colts and dismantled Manning, and Favre and look at that. The Ariz and NE lost to ind. so we must be better,,,,RIGHT!??

i can't stomach people that make points that way w/o logic. It's about matchups, plain and simple.

Agreed. I could hardly call this judgement of our players sound at all. I think we need a RT and we'll replace Baas with a FA but to say we need OT's is ridiculous. And your DL and OLB assessment is almost laughable and I don't think you have any idea as to what our defense is trying to do. Most of the time our scheme is to funnel either the run or the QB up the middle. Our DE's are very solid and McDonald and Soap are doing very well. Manny on the outside is playing great and hardly gets any credit because a lot of what he does doesn't show up in the stat column. Parys on the other hand really hasn't played nearly as well as I thought he would but we do have Brooks. The only thing I would agree on is that we need CB depth.

Seriously, I'm not bagging on you but you really should learn what you're talking about before you come to conclusions. This isn't Madden dude.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
We are two offensive lineman and one pass rusher away from being a top team.

J

add one complementary back to Gore and I agree.

and a qb

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,068
We're one RT, rushing OLB, and speedy Wr away from being contenders. We're one draft away, next year we'll make our move.
I can agree with this and I add we are a good quarterback away from being a top team. I mean the Colts protect the quarterback and the quarterback,Peyton Manning, is outstanding and the Colts have two of the best pass rushers in the league. Obviously the Steelers have a good qb, great pass rushers, and good running game and if look at the Giants they have the things you mention so we could be a top team next year but I am not sold on the quarterback position.

Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
We are two offensive lineman and one pass rusher away from being a top team.

J
Not that any of us are qualified to say, but I will play along. We are a lot closer than we have been since '03 and probably only a couple of offensive line, pass rusher and a playmaker in the secondary from being able to win against the really good teams. We played the Vikings and Colts tough, games that people thought we would be blown out in. We are not as good as some think, and not as bad as others.