There are 166 users in the forums

Our Pass Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Last night showed me a lot...

Manny Lawson's pass rush arsenal is very limited. His specialty is the bull rush. He frequently disrupted Cutler by moving his blocker into the pocket, which was good. What he is not good at is shedding his blocker. He stays too high and can't duck his way into the QB once he's closed in (think of how Jared Allen swims underneath his blockers).

Ray McDonald at the DE position was a bright spot. He's also a bull rusher with very good strength. I liked the pressure he was able to generate against the pass. I think McDonald will be a very good player for us and will continue to get better.

Isaac Sopoaga has a poor motor, plain and simple. Strength has never been an issue for this guy, but he is just too limited at DE to make a difference in the pass. He is however a good run stopper because of his ability to hold his ground at the corner.

Haralson had 1 tackle...but he used his speed well to collapse the pocket. He had good penetration on two of our INT's, but has problems finishing as well.

Justin Smith didn't impress me last night. He's another bull rusher, and the fact he was being blocked by the massive Orlando Pace had a lot to do with his ineffectiveness. He also held his ground against the run, but against the pass, he was a non-factor.

I think our low sack total has a lot to do with our limited array of pass rush moves. We're good at powering into the pocket, but we're not very good at finishing.

Agree or disagree?

[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Nov 14, 2009 at 02:14:24 ]
We don't have one. Pass rush is something other teams around the NFL have.
We have to rely on schemes for pressure and sacks because we lack a player that can beat his man one on one.
Smith is a good pass rusher and so is Mcdonald. Lawson Haralson are average. Besides that, our secondary is the reason we have some other sacks because our secondary is pretty dam good. It seems like our best pass rush games are against the best teams on the road in a losing effort. See MINN and IND (at least we won ARIZ).

We need one more good pass rushing LB (even though Willis could do it) or DE.

Even though our pass rush is inconsistent, we do get pretty good pressure most games but one more good/great pass rusher would push our D to a top 3 D.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Manny Lawson's pass rush arsenal is very limited. His specialty is the bull rush. He frequently disrupted Cutler by moving his blocker into the pocket, which was good. What he is not good at is shedding his blocker. He stays too high and can't duck his way into the QB once he's closed in (think of how Jared Allen swims underneath his blockers).

Ray McDonald at the DE position was a bright spot. He's also a bull rusher with very good strength. I liked the pressure he was able to generate against the pass. I think McDonald will be a very good player for us and will continue to get better.

Isaac Sopoaga has a poor motor, plain and simple. Strength has never been an issue for this guy, but he is just too limited at DE to make a difference in the pass. He is however a good run stopper because of his ability to hold his ground at the corner.

Justin Smith didn't impress me last night. He's another bull rusher, and the fact he was being blocked by the massive Orlando Pace had a lot to do with his ineffectiveness. He also held his ground against the run, but against the pass, he was a non-factor.

Haralson had 1 tackle...

I think our low sack total has a lot to do with our limited array of pass rush moves. We're good at powering into the pocket, but we're not very good at finishing.

Agree or disagree?

Haralson had 1 tackle...

Agree or disagree?

Just leave the original post at the top. People can read it. You don't have to quote yourself to bring it down in the thread. People read the original post anyway.

You are newer around these parts so it's ok. Welcome...
I wanted to edit it but made a mistake. My bad...
I wanted to edit it but made a mistake. My bad...

Go to your original post and hit the edit button instead of quote.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 14, 2009 at 02:22:15 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

hey there buddy, you seem lost. the Chargers fan site is 2 blocks that way----->

i havent seen anything but doom and gloom, "this team is horrible" posts from you for quite a while now. we get it, youre unhappy with the team. join the club. try being a bit more positive about the teams progess, rather than talking crap about it.

Niners have plenty of fans, one less wont lighten the load if being a fan is too tough for you.

Haralson had 1 tackle...but he used his speed well to collapse the pocket. He had good penetration on two of our INT's, but has problems finishing as well.

Agree or disagree?

I think our linemen do a GREAT job of supplying pressure. I mean it's not really their job in our scheme yet our line has done a fine job of applying pressure. Basically our linemen shouldn't have an array of moves....

Don't get me started on the OLB's.

Our OLBs need to be better at cutting the route to the QB & not around him all the time.
I think our db's are a bit overrated at this point, we need a serious upgrade at safety. We give up too many plays, even when we are getting a pass rush.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

we have a rush we just don't have a big time sack master. this team generates some good pressure and Justin Smith and Franklin have done great jobs of getting to the qb.
The Niners have no pass rushy. QB's like Vince Young and other average qb's, Matt Schaub, etc. look like pro bowlers because they have 6 seconds to throw. Heck, some of them do not even have to have their jersey washed because they never get sacked by the Niners.

Our OLB's apply zero pressure, our DE's create no pass rush. It is pathetic.

Pass rusher and RT have two be the top two priorities next year, and qb could be there also, but I believe in Nate Davis.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WINiner:

I think our linemen do a GREAT job of supplying pressure. I mean it's not really their job in our scheme yet our line has done a fine job of applying pressure. Basically our linemen shouldn't have an array of moves....

Don't get me started on the OLB's.

I wouldn't say they do a GREAT job. Decent. Fantastic at the run coverage. But yeah, the lack of pass rush in a 3-4 scheme comes more from the OLB's than from the defensive line (though they should be getting some too).
Share 49ersWebzone