LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 362 users in the forums

Mix in some Wildcat!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
No way. You must have forgotten the first couple of games we tried that in.

It didn't fool ANY one - it didn't work.

no more wildcat
  • NickV
  • Veteran
We have the most bland wildcat. Its just Gore in the backfield taking a direct snap. No motion from a wr or rb. Its basically SCREAMING to the defense that we are gonna run in the middle.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Now I'm not a big Wildcat guy. I loved it when the Dolphins shocked the Pats with it before it became a trend but I don't love it now.

With that said I do believe it can be effective at keeping teams on their heels. We have 2 former college QB's in Battle/Robinson and Gore/Crabtree played QB in HS.

Robinson I believe could run it as effective as Ronnie Brown (has to be a better passer) put him and Gore in the backfield and let him run some simple plays, sometimes just a handoff to Gore.

Sing has been a good coach at playing to the players skills such as keeping J.Smith at DE, putting A.Franklin in a chance to succeed, passing the ball to Davis etc.

Why not take advantage of the fact that we have a few guys with running ability that have demonstrated passing abilities as well? We have not thrown a HB pass in a very long time why not do it with our college QB?

Miami is successful with the wildcat because they are good at it. They obviously practice it a lot. You can't just throw in a wildcat play and expect it to work. You have to execute it well.
i'd like to see the tazer for 1 series with Robinson, Gore and Battle. Hell, lets see Vernon in there as well. Chances are this won't happen, but it looks great on paper.
the wildcat is a pointless gimmick. the dolphins are the only team that can run it effectively, because its their entire scheme, they do it well, and they built their offense around it.

but theres only 3 different options in the wildcat, and 1 of them requires a RB to pass. all you do is stack the box and force their RB to beat you by passing. theres no reason anyone should be using the wildcat other than miami.
no
That's all fine and good but how about an OL to go out and block somebody....Funny how our former RG (Smiley) is mauling people with Long in MIA. The Niners OL is half as physical as Miami's line IMO, they're not even close...How we could sure use Smiley's services right now...
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dino:

lol

I'm down with it...I've been saying MRob's been misused/underutilized for past few seasons. He's been stuck as the #3 RB...but lest we forget, he was a pretty darn good QB at the end of his Penn St. career. Why not take advantage of some of those skills? Or why not take a page out of the Colt's playbook and use him on the option, like they did to beat us. He's been a largely untapped resource, save ST's. Past time to use him in different ways...
Originally posted by NickV:
We have the most bland wildcat. Its just Gore in the backfield taking a direct snap. No motion from a wr or rb. Its basically SCREAMING to the defense that we are gonna run in the middle.

exactly, the direct snap to RB all alone is the most retarded play in football unless you are less than a yard from the endzone.
the reason why the wildcat works for the dolphins is because they are pretty much playing a watered-down version of the single wing option offense with a RB at QB. He can pitch/pass/or take it in himself ... plus there is the man coming in motion that has be covered.

A well-ruin wildcat is not a gimmick, it's a great offense.

Our stupid taser is nothing like that.

BILL WALSH RE: THE SINGLE WING -- PRECURSER TO TODAY'S WILDCAT

[ Edited by cestmoi on Nov 12, 2009 at 00:37:03 ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RonMexico:
seriously?

we ran it and niner talk said to never do it again and now its saying bring it in

People act like teams didnt win games before the LameCat came into style.

The only way to have any success with the LameCat is to have be ingrained into your teams culture.

running it here and there as a gadget play is a waste of time.

the Niners have bigger issues to sort out.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for mjonags32.
I think the Niners have to prove that they can get the fundamentals down first before trying anything exotic. When we can limit our turnovers, then maybe then we'll see some Taser, maaaaaaaybe
Originally posted by matt49er:
Now I'm not a big Wildcat guy. I loved it when the Dolphins shocked the Pats with it before it became a trend but I don't love it now.

With that said I do believe it can be effective at keeping teams on their heels. We have 2 former college QB's in Battle/Robinson and Gore/Crabtree played QB in HS.

Robinson I believe could run it as effective as Ronnie Brown (has to be a better passer) put him and Gore in the backfield and let him run some simple plays, sometimes just a handoff to Gore.

Sing has been a good coach at playing to the players skills such as keeping J.Smith at DE, putting A.Franklin in a chance to succeed, passing the ball to Davis etc.

Why not take advantage of the fact that we have a few guys with running ability that have demonstrated passing abilities as well? We have not thrown a HB pass in a very long time why not do it with our college QB?

The wildcat is a gimmick play that shouldn't be used more then a few times a season imo. It is a waste of valuable practice time for this team.
Share 49ersWebzone