LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 119 users in the forums

How do you think Alex Smith did today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Sometimes he looks like an all world QB and sometimes you kind of wonder wtf was he thinking. A couple of plays that come in mind was the high throw to Bruce that could have easily gotten us a first down late in the game and that screen pass that almost got intercepted. If he just can cut down on those high passes, but I think that will improve as he gets more comfortable with his WRs.
A little more protection and spreading it out more and we got our guy. but please no more of this 3rd & 8 running bulls**t!
Originally posted by Trajik1:
A little more protection and spreading it out more and we got our guy. but please no more of this 3rd & 8 running bulls**t!

I don't remember seeing us do that
Originally posted by CoachSingletary:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by Method:
Missed a few throws, but only less then a handful; for him is a huge improvement from the last time he started. Peyton had more overthrows then Alex, which is something I would have never guessed to say.

Anyways, there were some pretty bad drops, but mostly Alex looks like a different QB out there then he has before. He seems a lot more composed, but our playcalling is killing our offense. Spread it out, even the f**king announcers were saying that s**t all game long.

I counted 4 BAD throws and 3 really bad drops - 2 by Bruce. I think a very good day for Alex - The real question is why when the 49ers were having success in the spread shotgun offense didn't they stay in that formation? Singletary has GOT to get over this Nolan like obsession/idea that 14 points should win a football game in today's game. To beat the Colts you need to put up 24 points and press the ball at all times - You can NEVER have to many points against Peyton Manning.

You are absolutely WRONG and show that you have NO CLUE about football. The niners strategy was good. You want to keep the ball OUT ....let me repeat....OUT of Peyton Manning's hand.

Uh isn't that what I said? I think Nolanhasaplan signed up with a new name...
Originally posted by obx49:
Sometimes he looks like an all world QB and sometimes you kind of wonder wtf was he thinking. A couple of plays that come in mind was the high throw to Bruce that could have easily gotten us a first down late in the game and that screen pass that almost got intercepted. If he just can cut down on those high passes, but I think that will improve as he gets more comfortable with his WRs.

I reckon he was just trying to throw the screen pass away. That screen wasn't going anywhere.

-9fA
Originally posted by Griz:
Originally posted by CoachSingletary:
Originally posted by Sugatis:
Originally posted by Method:
Missed a few throws, but only less then a handful; for him is a huge improvement from the last time he started. Peyton had more overthrows then Alex, which is something I would have never guessed to say.

Anyways, there were some pretty bad drops, but mostly Alex looks like a different QB out there then he has before. He seems a lot more composed, but our playcalling is killing our offense. Spread it out, even the f**king announcers were saying that s**t all game long.

I counted 4 BAD throws and 3 really bad drops - 2 by Bruce. I think a very good day for Alex - The real question is why when the 49ers were having success in the spread shotgun offense didn't they stay in that formation? Singletary has GOT to get over this Nolan like obsession/idea that 14 points should win a football game in today's game. To beat the Colts you need to put up 24 points and press the ball at all times - You can NEVER have to many points against Peyton Manning.

You are absolutely WRONG and show that you have NO CLUE about football. The niners strategy was good. You want to keep the ball OUT ....let me repeat....OUT of Peyton Manning's hand.

How do you keep the ball out of Peyton hands if you have no running game. With out the long run Gore had 27 yards. You shouldn't tell anyone you have no clue about football unless you can back it up!

And You can run out of the Spread offense - and if you do tighten up the formations run some tosses this up the gut running crap is poop
  • kray28
  • Veteran

That was one of Bruce's 3 or so drops today.....the pass wasn't perfect, but it was catchable. Bruce needs to STFD.

On topic, I was pleased with Alex' play today....too bad the coaches don't know how to put him in a position to succeed better. But given the chances he got today, he played a strong game in my opinion.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He played better than I expected with the O-line issues and the dropped passes.

I am glad he's finding Crabtree, who had 6 receptions for 80 yards. Solid numbers for a rookie.

I'd like to see Bruce out in favor of Jones and Hill at the WR positions. Alex Smith worked mostly with Jones and Hill in training camp, and chemistry is very important between the QB and WR.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He played better than I expected with the O-line issues and the dropped passes.

I am glad he's finding Crabtree, who had 6 receptions for 80 yards. Solid numbers for a rookie.

I'd like to see Bruce out in favor of Jones and Hill at the WR positions. Alex Smith worked mostly with Jones and Hill in training camp, and chemistry is very important between the QB and WR.

I agree; Josh Morgan should start over Bruce.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:

That was one of Bruce's 3 or so drops today.....the pass wasn't perfect, but it was catchable. Bruce needs to STFD.

On topic, I was pleased with Alex' play today....too bad the coaches don't know how to put him in a position to succeed better. But given the chances he got today, he played a strong game in my opinion.

No, I'm talking about the pass where Alex rolled to his left (his wrong side) and overthrew the ball. Bruce was wide open on that play. The pass you're talking about, yes, Bruce should have caught that pass.

Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Trajik1:

I don't remember seeing us do that

It was on second downs.
I think he played good. The biggest problem he had today was Raye's unwillingness to open the playbook up. The interception he threw was bad, but not a big deal to me considering he found the right guy, just made an errant throw. Moreover, he played through it.

He was generally in rhythm and hit guys in stride. Found VD on a great TD and looked to his WRs (Crabs had 80 yards, Bruce had some). Bruce let him down on a few drops. His glaring mistake came when he threw behind Bruce on that key drive that ended up being our last time with the ball. The other mistake he made was when he took a sack on a play where he felt the pocket collapsed on him but it hadn't yet. That's fine. He's gotten A MILLION times better at pocket presence so I'm not upset at that.

He's not the problem...he needs to be given more of an opportunity to make plays. The coaches don't trust him...I think it's BS...he's generally making the reads he wasn't before and he's getting the ball out in time and accurately.

I'm starting to slowly be swayed by Alex. More of this, and I think we might have something here...
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Hill would have beaten the Colts.

I have to disagree...... Hill would have taken more sacks.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Hill would have beaten the Colts.

How?
I dunno why people seem to think Martz would give us a better chance. Under Martz our offense didn't even have hot routes. Martz would leave Vernon into block on third down passes he was a horrible OC who never used an audible system or a hurry up offense. No just no.
Share 49ersWebzone