LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 261 users in the forums

NFL Network: More upside, Smith or Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Eisen asked the question and BOTH Woodson and Dukes said Smith.

I was actually surprised because Dukes ALWAYS bashed Smith when he had the chance in 06-07 and training camp 08. But I agree, i never liked VY. Great athlete, but overrated NFL player. Also Steve Young made a comment yesterday saying that Smith is a late bloomer.. So were alot of good QBs, ex. Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Oct 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM ]
will look forward to seeing who can bring their game back from the dead
Smith. Vd is infecting locker room after locker room. teams have nothing to cover the outbreak
Originally posted by teeohh:
will look forward to seeing who can bring their game back from the dead

I actually think our boy Smitty has the tougher challenege b.c we are in the thick of things as far as playoffs, if he plays well and can get the ball to our playmakers, then hes our guy! and we win the division!. Young can just play and hope to rack up 5-6 maybe more wins the next 10 games to prove him self, but its still a lost season for TENN.
Sweet, but lets see him produce on sunday
Anyone got a link?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Anyone got a link?

on nft total access, at the end of the segment on 4 downs. idk if you can find it on nfl.com, but it re airs later tonight
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

I was actually surprised because Dukes ALWAYS bashed Smith when he had the chance in 06-07 and training camp 08. But I agree, i never liked VY. Great athlete, but overrated NFL player. Also Steve Young made a comment yesterday saying that Smith is a late bloomer.. So were alot of good QBs, ex. Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia

Yeah both chose Smith but Dukes actually wanted to "wait and see" and when Rich made him pick he reluctantly picked Smith. I gues he thought Smith was the better of two bads in his opinion.

Also, on AFC playbook, Joe,Boldinger and Sterling all took the Colts which is no surprise but Boldinger gave a sorry excuse for picking the Colts saying throwing the ball is not the 49er offense and that running the ball up the middle for no gain is the 49er offense. Joe and Sterling also used film against the Rams to prove their points which I don't think helped them since the Rams are so bad. They should have used the other teams the colts played.
I think VY and AS are pretty different cases. Smith's problem has never been a lack of dedication, desire, or mental toughness. He's as professional and driven as you could ask any pro athlete to be. He just hasn't been able to put it all together on the field. Whether it's him, his team, his coaches, or his injuries that are to blame is debatable. But no one would blame it on a lack of focus or commitment.

VY has people wondering if he has what it takes upstairs. That's a different issue. And frankly, it's one that I'd be more wary of if I were a GM.
  • B650
  • Veteran
All these TV guys crack me up. Frank Gore struggles against the Cardinals and everyone thinks he's washed up and done. He lights up the Seahawks and suddenly he becomes the best back in the NFC behind Adrian Peterson.

The 49ers start out 2-0 and everyone thinks it's the end of the Cardinals. Now the Cardinals are back on track and everyone thinks the 49ers are done.

I seriously could care less what these people say.

If Vince Young was the one who started and throw for 206 yards last week, they would've probably said that he's the one with the most upside instead of Smith. Regardless, I think both of them have a lot of upside. Smith turning out to be a good QB will do wonders for our team. We can concentrate on other issues after the season. I hope Raye plays to Smith's strengths, because with the right system, Smith is a dangerous QB. I hope we don't go conservative and give him the old Shaun Hill playbook. Smith's talents make it possible for us to open it up a bit.

I don't know if the three you mentioned were late bloomers. Steve Young always had skills, but had to play behind the NFL's best QB at the time. Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia never really got a shot in the NFL, in opinion.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I don't know if the three you mentioned were late bloomers. Steve Young always had skills, but had to play behind the NFL's best QB at the time. Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia never really got a shot in the NFL, in opinion.

Young was a starter for Tampa Bay before sitting behind Montana. He was considered a bust by many before he came to SF.

Young's first 2 years in NFL:
3 wins –16 losses. 11 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, < 55% completion

Smith's first two years in NFL:
10 wins - 18 losses. 17 touchdowns, 27 interceptions, 55ish% completion

Interesting comparison if you ask me. Both were on s**tty teams at the time too. Not to say Smith is the next Young, but it shows that a player can turn it around after a bad start.
[ Edited by Oregon49erfan on Oct 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:

Young was a starter for Tampa Bay before sitting behind Montana. He was considered a bust by many before he came to SF.

Interesting comparison if you ask me. Both were on s**tty teams at the time too. Not to say Smith is the next Young, but it shows that a player can turn it around after a bad start.

Smith is the next young!!! STEVE YOUNG!!!
lol
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:

I love your name.
Agree with Smith over Young. We get to see them face off next week.
Share 49ersWebzone