LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 327 users in the forums

Hurry UP - Two Minute Drill

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The notion of using quick slants, hooks to the TE, and so forth is a sound one, to force a team to back-off from 8-in-the-box and a steady dose or run blitzing.

But to combine such early-game play-calling with a no-huddle is flawed thinking, for the very reason that has been articulated earlier in this thread. The whole purpose of a ball control offense is to protect the defense by minimizing the time that the other offense has the ball. The no-huddle is best used in a 2-minutre environment before the half or the end of the game, or, as a change of pace, for a sluggish offense when the opposing defense is doing a lot of situational substitution. Buffalo, in recent years, and Cincy, during the Sam wyche years, have tried to use the no-huddle on a consistent basis, without achieving play-off success.
JimBagg, I'm not talking about using it on a consistant basis, ala Sam Wyche era...
I'm saying Quick Dump offs to Gore and Coffee, Tightends and Receivers ala the
Niners in the 80's, use the quick stuff as our Running Game Early, with Ball Control...

Shaun Hill runs the Two minute very well... More instinctive, Less Thinking and we
have the talent to run quick routes, let the pressure come, attack the Blitz from
where it's coming, take advantage our their aggressive play calling and keep their
defense on the field... Heck, and if it works, stay with it until they change their
defensive play calling and hold our foot on their throats and keep them guessing
and on their heels...

Second, we always start off sluggishly.... Put more Pep in their steps...

I'm just Saying.... HURRY UP, get to the line and get the plays Called, over and
over again.... Hopefully in the second half they'll be tired...
I'm not opposed to using a no-huddle for the opening drive at a home game, when the line calls can be heard, minimizing the risk of penalty and player mistakes. But I would not extend the no-huddle beyond that one drive, for the reasons stated earlier.

A ball control offense works best when the ball control team scores first and is maintaining a lead, so increasing the probability of scoring a TD on the first drive of the game, is a good thing for a ball control offense. Since Raye is scripting the first 15 plays or so, and since practices are not open to the public, it would be straightforward to open the game in this manner.

So maybe our positioning on this matter is not so different.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I'm not opposed to using a no-huddle for the opening drive at a home game, when the line calls can be heard, minimizing the risk of penalty and player mistakes. But I would not extend the no-huddle beyond that one drive, for the reasons stated earlier.

A ball control offense works best when the ball control team scores first and is maintaining a lead, so increasing the probability of scoring a TD on the first drive of the game, is a good thing for a ball control offense. Since Raye is scripting the first 15 plays or so, and since practices are not open to the public, it would be straightforward to open the game in this manner.

So maybe our positioning on this matter is not so different.

Concur..... I just want us to come out Firing on all Cylinders... And to keep
Mora guessing all game... Throw it in, switch it up, but keep them guessing
all game long.... Heck, maybe even throw it in between plays... If we see
them making Subs, call for a quick snap, don't let them play their gameplan,
PLAY OURS... Hit 'em where it hurts....

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
i think we excel when Hill goes into a hurry up offense, that's why he always shines in the 4th quarter.

that run run pass punt bulls**t isn't going to cut it, and I hope they've learned that from last week

what you are missing is that it looks effective b/c defense are sitting back and playing cautious in those 4th quarter situations. do that all game and it's gonna be a different story.
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
Originally posted by T83RR:
A hurry up offense would wear our own defense down just as much as theirs.

We hardly ever went run run pass punt yesterday.

What do you mean.... How would US running the Hurry Up Offense Wear down
our Defense... You can have a Ball Controlled Offense while Running the Hurry
Up Offense... You just don't Huddle up Between Plays, But you make sure that
you get stopped in Bounds so the Clock still Runs... The Opponents Defense
doesn't get a chance to make substitutions, and we WEAR their Asses OUT... ;-)

PS... Plus, while running the Hurry UP... If they do try to make a Sub, you go
for Quick Snaps and try to catch 12 on the Field, Cheap Yardage but hey, Yards
are Yards, Penalties Add up, just ask Arizona about Penalties... WHATEVER it
Takes to get the UPPER HAND... I don't think Mora will be Prepared for Sing to
Go Hurry up...

Does anyone know someone on the Niner Staff.... Send out a Memo NOW...

Your point is very logical, but Jimmy Raye is old-school.
Originally posted by T83RR:
No, it's not. You're more prone to mistakes, and your defense has less time to rest.

Especially for a team that goes 3-and-out as often as we do. If we go three-and-out but take 3 minutes to do so, that's a LOT better than going 3-and-out in just 1 minute.

you are assuming that you can't eat up the clock in a no huddle. and that is wrong, you approach the LOS, get teh play call in and do a little motion, and you just you have just eaten up 15-20 secs, then you make an audible ro a fake one for another 10 secs.

all he is saying is don't allow them to sub, and then you get the D tired because they can't relax a second.
Share 49ersWebzone