LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 362 users in the forums

MadDog49er 2018 NFL Draft Best 50 Board- Updated 4/26

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Keep an eye on Tulane CB Parry Nickerson as a fourth round target for a slot corner position. He is a lightning quick corner from Tulane who played pretty well against good teams like Oklahoma last year. Might be insurance for the team if it want to move away from Jimmy Ward in 2019.

He's on the skinny side but his ball skills are great. He's moving up a lot. I like Nickerson
Hey MD, great work as always. Asked this a few pages ago but it was probably lost in the shuffle. Do you have a scouting report made for Davenport? Would you feel comfortable with him at 9 and who does he compare to? Lots of Zoners appear to be against the idea but I like him.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Hey MD, great work as always. Asked this a few pages ago but it was probably lost in the shuffle. Do you have a scouting report made for Davenport? Would you feel comfortable with him at 9 and who does he compare to? Lots of Zoners appear to be against the idea but I like him.

I like Davenport and grade him the 12th best player in this draft. He is a traditional 4-3 strongside DE, with room to grow into a 275 pound body. He is a solid two-way player, with the skills to knock RTs back into the quarterback. He is not a great bend around the edge guy, but sets the edge very well. He got off to a slow start at the Senior Bowl, but was the most dominant player at the end of the week and in the game. He is raw and needs time, but is going to be a very good player.

I don't think he is the best fit for the Niners. They need a 4-3 Sam backer who rushes on the edge.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Vander Esch a white kid?

Strangely enough, in the NFL, this hurts his draft stock. People assume a white dude can't be athletic. He is crazy athletic.

He is white so we say "deceptively athletic." Try to keep up.

He is also a grinder, a lunch pail, blue collar type, he tries really hard, is really scrappy, gives it his all, plays with a lot of heart, a true hustle guy that gets the most out of his abilities.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Vander Esch a white kid?

Strangely enough, in the NFL, this hurts his draft stock. People assume a white dude can't be athletic. He is crazy athletic.

He is also a grinder, a lunch pail, blue collar type, he tries really hard, is really scrappy, gives it his all, plays with a lot of heart, a true hustle guy that gets the most out of his abilities.

Wait, he's white?

If he doesn't pan out at LB we can just move him to QB.
Re-watching the WR class. Depressing with a capital D. My WR board is all over the place.

I believe this WR class is in for a rude awakening come Thursday night. I could easily see a slide into the mid-20s before the first WR is picked.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 22, 2018 at 8:17 PM ]
Re-watching the WR class. Depressing with a capital D. My WR board is all over the place.

I believe this WR class is in for a rude awakening come Thursday night. I could easily see a slide into the mid-20s before the first WR is picked.

On Bob McGinn's site he had comments from scouts complaining about what an awful WR class this is.

On Bob McGinn's site he had comments from scouts complaining about what an awful WR class this is.
It is horrible. I might end grading Gallup and Miller 1 and 2. Still watching...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Agreed, this has to be the worst WR class in a long time. Luckily for us, we're not in a dire need of a receiver this year.
Originally posted by strickac:
Vander Esch a white kid?

Wait, he's white?

If he doesn't pan out at LB we can just move him to QB.

Not sure how being a white LB hurts his draft stock. White LB's are usually hardcore and turn out well.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Not sure how being a white LB hurts his draft stock. White LB's are usually hardcore and turn out well.

It won't hurt his draft stock. It's kind of like the Lamar Jackson to WR thing. Doesn't make a ton of sense.
Hey MD, Got a quick question. What are your thoughts on PFF's rankings/methodology? They are always really against the grain, compared to most at least(for example Hurst being the no. 1 Interior D-lineman, and Landry > Chubb). Any thoughts on potential shortcomings to their draft rankings, or benefits to them?

It is horrible. I might end grading Gallup and Miller 1 and 2. Still watching...

Gallup higher than DJ Moore? I'm going to have to watch Gallup again.
Originally posted by Mann716:
Gallup higher than DJ Moore? I'm going to have to watch Gallup again.

Gallup is definitely better than DJ Moore in my view. I also disagree with Bob McGinn. There isn't a Calvin Johnson or a Randy Moss, but I believe that Ridley could very well be an Antonio Brown, and Gallup looks like Bolden. The big receivers will be hit/miss (Sutton, Chark, St. Brown, etc), but this draft is deep for receivers. Also, from a purely 49ers standpoint, look and see what an elite QB can do with almost any WR. Find a player that can get separation and really strong, natural hands and we will move the chains all day long. (Ridley, Gallup, Washington, Miller, and Pettis look like those players to me)
[ Edited by Syxton on Apr 23, 2018 at 12:11 PM ]
My dream draft is to trade back for Landry or Edmunds if still there at 13/14 and then get OBO in 20s and Nwosu in 30s. Now that would make my day...except i don't believe landry is there at #14 or whichever it was on MD''s Big Board.

Who says we can't go LB LB LB all back to back. And we are the team without LBs. That would make my draft, although i have other wants , eg, OG, CB, and pass on the ER...use that threesome as your passrush.

Only way that works tho is there has to be someone, Saquon, Roquan, Chubb, or more likely a QB that someone else wants to have. Ideally i'd Like us with a teen(14), something in the 20s (OBO), and something in the 30s( Nwosu). If Davenport got swapped out for one of those slots,,,, that would be fine, too.

Think we could pull that off , MD? Might take a pick from downstream, but hopefully not before #74.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone