LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 415 users in the forums

my last mock draft

I will trade down in the first, get a late 2nd- and 3rd-rounder this year respectively. Both of these picks will be used to trade up to a 35-40 ovr spot.
This time, I don't use the CBS ranking only but I have spent a look at it and at NFL's big board respectively.

1st round (trade-down)
DT/DE Carl Davis, Iowa
Though his production was not constant, the guy seems to have all one would demand from a 5trech-prospect: he can play against the run and the pass, very athletic for his size and ovr. After a good year of coaching he could rise to a permanent starter on a very high level.
Alternative: CB, OG, WR

2nd round (trade-up)
OT/OG Cedric Ogbuehi
According to my research, he wasn't very good at LT but that is not why I am drafting him though Staley will turn 31 this year. I see Boone's successor here in the very first place but he also could take over for Davis at RT so that the latter one is able to move inside.
However, he is versatile and he is a first-round talent but "thanks" to his ACL tear, he could fall to this spot (like Tank in his draft respectively).
Alternative: OT (Jake Fisher), ILB

2nd round (original)
OLB/DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
I hope that he will fall due to his medical. Right now, he is more of a run-stuffer but has the demeanor to improve in the pass-rush pretty fast. Imho, he could be a short- or long-term replacement for Brooks (the latter one could move inside as suggested by some users here).
According to MD, other writers and my eyes this guy NEVER gives up on a play. NEVER. This kind of a player is always an improvement for a team.
Alternative: ILB

3rd round
WR Chris Conley, Georgia
seems to be more than just a workout warrior. He has got all the physical abilities one needs in a #1-WR, nice hands, experience in a run-heavy system, SEC-proven. Very nice character.
Alternative: different WR, RB

4th round (original)
NT David Parry, Stanford
Even if Mangini won't switch to a 2-gap-NT, we need a short- to mid-term alternative due to Ian Williams' huge injury-proneness. Dial and TJE can play this position as well but Dial seems to be more suitable at LDE and TJE is solid, very good backup, but not much more for now.

4th round (comp)
TE Blake Bell, Oklahoma
that one is very risky but besides an ageing Vernon Davis nobody is trustworthy. Vance will get another season to prove himself, Carrier and Celek in particular have showed that they could be capable but that's about it. We need to draft an additional TE, at least on day 3.

5th round
OLB/DE Zach Wagenmann, Montana
could be a servicable pass-rushing OLB. Perhaps he will push Lemonier a little bit.

6th round
RB Trey Williams, Texas A&M
I don't trust Reggie Bush's health at all. This guy can be a very dangerous returner and a reliable 3rd-down catcher, iirc. Just think of McCluster.

7th round (original)
CB/FS Deshazor Everett, Texas A&M
a FS-backup is needed, imho. Very agressive guy, perhaps not the best fit at CB or even at FS but I would try it out anyway, it's jiust a 7th-rounder

7th round (comp)
DT/DE Tory Slater, West Georgia
very athletic guy with huge upside, former WR. We have interviewed this guy. Practice squad in 2015.

OT/OG that high?
-you mean a first-round talent that low would be a steal if you ask me. True, for now the Tackle-positions, the RT in particular are set. But, like I have stated, Ogbuehi is a reaction to Boone's expiring contract. If we can extend Boone, then Ogbuehi would be a backup with starter quality for a very low price.

way too many OLBs!!!!
Aldon is entering his contract year and he is stupid enough to commit another stupid move. Lynch will play his 2nd season in the NFL, he is still a talent who could experience a down year, Skuta is gone, Brooks in his contract year and a very expensive btw and Lemonier is a nobody so far.
Thus, there is absolutely no need to overlook this group in the draft at all. Furthermore, we could move Brooks inside and solve the ILB-problem for at least a year. Or we could cut Brooks.

no backup-RB for Hyde?
Hunter is still there, we got some other prospects on the roster. And I cannot fill every need. Look at Rawls from Central Michigan as a priority FA if needed.

no QB?
this year's class is VERY weak, no thanks.

no CB high?
I don't rule out Baalke picking a CB early. We simply have a lot of solid players and Brock. And like with the RB, I cannot fill every need.

WR late?
sure, why not? We got a year to develop the guy into a starting WR.

we cannot keep all the d-liners we got after the prior acquisitions and this draft at all!!!!
true. Slater will land on the PS. Williams, Dorsey, Dockett, JSmith, Carradine, Dial, TJE, Parry, Davis is a lot. In 2014, we have carried 8 d-linemen so one will have to go. Imho, Dorsey is a candidate, if Mangini indeed wants to install a 2-gap-NT. Otherwise, TJE or Dial will be gone.
Also, we could leave four instead of five Safeties on the roster, especially if Ward is still viewed as a slot Corner.

4 RBs?
another difficult roster situation. Could be solved through a cut of Jerome Simpson in order to keep only 5 WR on the active roster and see Trey Williams as a kind of a tweener.

don't like your solutions!!!
Then trade away our original 4th-rounder. Parry is the only guy I could really pass on in my mock.

Any comments that can be useful for the discussion?
[ Edited by communist on Apr 21, 2015 at 4:05 AM ]
I'm undecided on this one.
Worst mock I've seen in years
Hell no
You didn't come away with one starter for this season

You reached on bell and a OT coming off a ACL.
Your scenario is confusing...are you saying Baalke would get the trading team's 1st, late 2nd and late 3rd rd picks? Most teams picking in the last half of the draft aren't that desperate, so I don't envision any GM making that deal. It's possible, I suppose, but not likely.

Baalke can do better with his 1st pick than Carl Davis...his work ethic is questionable at best. His play falls off markedly when he tires...NFL.com draft profiles sez he's a 2nd rd pick, largely because his production should be better. If Baalke wants a stud DL, he can stand pat and likely get either Eddie Goldman or Malcolm Brown, both of whom never take plays off and have non-stop motors. Getting one of those guys would arguably negate the need for another NT, as well.

Rest of your picks aren't bad, really. I like most of 'em. WRT the TE pick, don't be surprised if Baalke grabs Clive Walford early...he's one of the best playmaking TE's in this draft...and having the speed at WR now to stretch the defense, the middle should be a hey-day for TE's and Boldin.
Originally posted by Tslope90:
Worst mock I've seen in years

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Thank god it's your last one.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Thank god it's your last one.

After drafting Ogbuehi and Owamagbe you think Obi-Wan Kenobe will still be on the board?

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm picking Bell with a compensatery 4th-rounder. He is viewed by CBS and NFL.com as 5th-rounder though 5th-round can mean anything. Not a huge reach, if you ask me.

As for Ogbuehi:
last year the Patriots picked DE Easley with their first-rounder in despite of his (second?) ACL injury. We picked Tank Carradine a couple of years ago at the top of the 2nd-round although his ACL was torn (was a first-round prospect).
Now, Ogbuehi is falling only due to his ACL tear and some questions about his ability playing at LT in the NFL but nobody questions his ability to be a good Guard and RT at all. If you don't believe me, just spend a look at OTC's opinion or that of some draft pages like the NFL.com who thinks that he could be drafted in round 1 or 2.

Not a single day one starter? Sorry but this is not what one should expect, at least not from round 3 and lower. You can count yourself VERY lucky if you get an immediate starter on day 3 or even day 2.
[ Edited by communist on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:48 AM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Your scenario is confusing...are you saying Baalke would get the trading team's 1st, late 2nd and late 3rd rd picks? Most teams picking in the last half of the draft aren't that desperate, so I don't envision any GM making that deal. It's possible, I suppose, but not likely.

Baalke can do better with his 1st pick than Carl Davis...his work ethic is questionable at best. His play falls off markedly when he tires...NFL.com draft profiles sez he's a 2nd rd pick, largely because his production should be better. If Baalke wants a stud DL, he can stand pat and likely get either Eddie Goldman or Malcolm Brown, both of whom never take plays off and have non-stop motors. Getting one of those guys would arguably negate the need for another NT, as well.

Rest of your picks aren't bad, really. I like most of 'em. WRT the TE pick, don't be surprised if Baalke grabs Clive Walford early...he's one of the best playmaking TE's in this draft...and having the speed at WR now to stretch the defense, the middle should be a hey-day for TE's and Boldin.
We trade down to a low first-rounder and get a 2nd-round and a 3rd-round pick respectively. Both of these picks are used to jump within round 2 to get Ogbuehi.
I know that good usually aren't that desperate but the Niners jumped for Reid as well. But ovr I agree with you, possible but unprobable.

You are right about Davis on this one. I thought about going for him in round and pick someone else with the first-rounder. But my personal problem is that someone could take the risk and sneak into round 1 in order to pick him there.
A lot of things are questionable but I think that we have got a year to develop him as a football player and as a human and I would risk it.
I ignore Brown because he is short-armed And I think that thx to this fact, he could be limited to NT in our system.
Goldman I've picked in my very first mock but back then I thought that he is a perfect 5tech. Of course, he can play this position as well but I think that he has to lose some weight. I'd rather let him play at NT but this position is not in question that much for now.
As for the NT-need: we still have Ian Williams who played good IF he was able to play Thus, I didn't want to go after a NT early.

TE Walford I wanted to pick in my last draft (perhaps I have even picked him). I also thought about picking him with our original 2nd-rounder because I don't expect OO to fall that far
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
more details please Otherwise, I assume that you are like "you haven't picked my fav player so that I hate your mock"-posters.
Iirc, you are usually way more than that.
[ Edited by communist on Apr 21, 2015 at 4:14 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm picking Bell with a compensatery 4th-rounder. He is viewed by CBS and NFL.com as 5th-rounder though 5th-round can mean anything. Not a huge reach, if you ask me.

As for Ogbuehi:
last year the Patriots picked DE Easley with their first-rounder in despite of his (second?) ACL injury. We picked Tank Carradine a couple of years ago at the top of the 2nd-round although his ACL was torn (was a first-round prospect).
Now, Ogbuehi is falling only due to his ACL tear and some questions about his ability playing at LT in the NFL but nobody questions his ability to be a good Guard and RT at all. If you don't believe me, just spend a look at OTC's opinion or that of some draft pages like the NFL.com who thinks that he could be drafted in round 1 or 2.

Not a single day one starter? Sorry but this is not what one should expect, at least not from round 3 and lower. You can count yourself VERY lucky if you get an immediate starter on day 3 or even day 2.

Bell is a very very unpolished TE and will not be active on Sundays, which is a waste IMO. He will not be starting over Davis,McDonald or Carrier (who they just extended). So what do they do, leave him on the practice squad? Not a place you want a 4th round pick at.

Yeah Easley looked like a great 1st round pick for NE...he didn't play a ton, but when he did it was bad (-4.6 overall score from PFF). Tank is going into his 3 yr year and has yet to cement his spot on the team. I have high hopes for him, but you shouldn't have to wait 3 seasons to see what you're 2nd round talent can do.

If Ogbuehi is there in the 3rd round (where I've seen him projected for a while) then maybe I'd take a chance on another ACL O-lineman. He wasn't great in pass-protection (was one of the leaders in sacks allowed in the SEC in 2014). I'd rather use a 2nd on a player that WILL be playing on Sundays in 2014.

Also why is everyone so high on Conley? Did you watch any of his games before the combine? I didn't see any of the athletic ability on the football field (specially with a DB on him) and that's one of the reasons everyone was blown away with his combine because he didn't show any of that on the field.

you must have misunderstood my comment about no starters...you're first 3 picks generated zero starters.

I like the trade down but not one ILB? The zone will go insane if we come away with no ILBers in the draft.
Awful
Share 49ersWebzone