There are 370 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft [3 years later]

All hail Baalkie! Raise a glass of cool aid, and cheer his name! We dumped the winningest coach in football for this guy? All hail York, raise another glass of cool aid!
F-

The Zone is better than baalke sometimes. I remember that I wanted fleener, hill and Jeffrey with our first pick.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Seriously???? If you want to talk smack about Baalke just let that be the name of this thread but to ask anyone to list grades when there can only be one grade given is pointless. Most people say you have to wait 3 years before you can give a true grade but the fact this draft graded out as an F just before the 2013 season got underway is truly remarkable. As someone else said in an earlier post this truly is the worst draft in our franchise's history. Now that is saying something when you consider other drafts have had first round picks such as Dana Hall, Mike Rumph, Raushan Woods, Kentwan Balmer and Todd Kelly just to name a few.

Now Baalke hasn't shown a high draft IQ for offensive players for the most part but the man has picked up a couple of solid players like Kap, Hunter, Kilgore and Hyde. He kills it on the defensive side of the ball with players like Aldon, Reid, Culliver, Borland, Lynch, Carradine, (just wait he will have 8+ sacks this year from a 3-4 DE position which you don't see a lot of) and Dial. I can believe he would miss on maybe 70%-80% of his picks in a bad year it happens but to miss on every single pick and know within a year and a few months that your entire draft class is crap that doesn't usually happen. Way to go Trent. I mean they would have been better off drafting the guys they signed as UDFA that year. More of them are still on the team. The only reason they held on to LMJ so long was because he was there last remaining piece of hope but then they realized he was as untalented as the rest. You need proof look at Miami he couldn't take snaps away from Daniel Thomas after Moreno got hurt.

He got a pass because he killed in the 2011 draft. I just wonder how much influence Harbaugh had after that awesome first year of taking us to the NFC Title Game? Maybe he had to much we will never know but I love the 2011 draft and I really liked the 2013 draft and I think last year's draft will be an awesome one in a couple of years. That is why I just don't get 2012. A lot of GMs would be fired after that kind of draft and I would hope Trent gave a few of the scouts their termination letters. I will say this for Trent he isn't stubborn when he makes a mistake he owns up to it AJ Jenkins probably violated his lease agreement he was outta here so fast. Bottom line is everyone saw how Seattle passed us up this last year and that doesn't happen if at least one or two guys from that draft work out. Trent needs a HR in this draft IMO 6 out of his 9 picks have to be guys that don't have to start necessarily but make a difference and play meaningful snaps. No room this year for red shirt players.

I did not make this thread to talk s**t on Baaalke. I do it every year 3 years after a draft. It was a horrible draft, but the good part of it is that it seems baalke learned and improved from his mistakes. Our udfas weren't too shabby either
Draft Re-do:

1(30): Bobby Wagner (ipo AJ Jenkins) -- rip Seattle's soul out with this move
2(61): Dwayne Allen (ipo of lMJ) -- big and strong receiving tight end
4 (117): Joe Looney (SAME)
5 (166): Alfred Morris (ipo of Darius Fleming) -- could you imagine a 1-2 punch of Gore and Morris during our 2012-13 runs?
6 (180): Danny Trevathan (ipo Trenton Robinson) -- so we had have Wagner and Trevathan waiting in the wings behind Willis and Bowman
6 (199): JR Sweezy -- yeah steal another player from under the Hags -- converted DE to guard. great run blocker and if anything Ian Williams doesn't get his ankle broken
7 (237): Daryl Richardson (ipo of Cam Johnson) -- feisty and explosive scat back
Our UDFAs have done better for us then anyone on that draft minus Looney.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Seriously???? If you want to talk smack about Baalke just let that be the name of this thread but to ask anyone to list grades when there can only be one grade given is pointless. Most people say you have to wait 3 years before you can give a true grade but the fact this draft graded out as an F just before the 2013 season got underway is truly remarkable. As someone else said in an earlier post this truly is the worst draft in our franchise's history. Now that is saying something when you consider other drafts have had first round picks such as Dana Hall, Mike Rumph, Raushan Woods, Kentwan Balmer and Todd Kelly just to name a few.

Now Baalke hasn't shown a high draft IQ for offensive players for the most part but the man has picked up a couple of solid players like Kap, Hunter, Kilgore and Hyde. He kills it on the defensive side of the ball with players like Aldon, Reid, Culliver, Borland, Lynch, Carradine, (just wait he will have 8+ sacks this year from a 3-4 DE position which you don't see a lot of) and Dial. I can believe he would miss on maybe 70%-80% of his picks in a bad year it happens but to miss on every single pick and know within a year and a few months that your entire draft class is crap that doesn't usually happen. Way to go Trent. I mean they would have been better off drafting the guys they signed as UDFA that year. More of them are still on the team. The only reason they held on to LMJ so long was because he was there last remaining piece of hope but then they realized he was as untalented as the rest. You need proof look at Miami he couldn't take snaps away from Daniel Thomas after Moreno got hurt.

He got a pass because he killed in the 2011 draft. I just wonder how much influence Harbaugh had after that awesome first year of taking us to the NFC Title Game? Maybe he had to much we will never know but I love the 2011 draft and I really liked the 2013 draft and I think last year's draft will be an awesome one in a couple of years. That is why I just don't get 2012. A lot of GMs would be fired after that kind of draft and I would hope Trent gave a few of the scouts their termination letters. I will say this for Trent he isn't stubborn when he makes a mistake he owns up to it AJ Jenkins probably violated his lease agreement he was outta here so fast. Bottom line is everyone saw how Seattle passed us up this last year and that doesn't happen if at least one or two guys from that draft work out. Trent needs a HR in this draft IMO 6 out of his 9 picks have to be guys that don't have to start necessarily but make a difference and play meaningful snaps. No room this year for red shirt players.

I did not make this thread to talk s**t on Baaalke. I do it every year 3 years after a draft. It was a horrible draft, but the good part of it is that it seems baalke learned and improved from his mistakes. Our udfas weren't too shabby either

Agreed, it's not really a shot at Baalke, but more a shot at the players who Baalke drafted. One that had no heart and the other that was a complainer as 1st and 2nd round picks.

It's unreal how sensitive people get when you criticize the staff. Terry Donahue had a better draft in 2004 than this one and in no way am I calling him a better GM than Baalke.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
All hail Baalkie! Raise a glass of cool aid, and cheer his name! We dumped the winningest coach in football for this guy? All hail York, raise another glass of cool aid!

There are few, who refuse to drink the Kool aid
2nd Round - LaMichael James, RB, this is the one that really bums me out. I though he would be an explosive player in and out of the backfield. used as a RB and WR.
That was the worst draft in Niners history (imo)
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Webzone gonna webzone

• bors
  • Veteran
This draft helped tbe seahawks leapfrog uswhat a total waste of a draft may as well just skip it altogether
I'm still wondering about LMJ though. His stats were good, he gave us a return game, and he's home run threat with his speed. It seems he never got much of a chance. I could see him breaking out for another team in the future.
Originally posted by Trath44:
I'm still wondering about LMJ though. His stats were good, he gave us a return game, and he's home run threat with his speed. It seems he never got much of a chance. I could see him breaking out for another team in the future.

Draft grade F for *ucked up! Even Ozzie screws up once in a while
That is an absolutely terrible draft. Not much there.
AJ Jenkins was just a bad pick. Good guy , had potential but lacked the passion LMJ was a good pick but wasn't used right. Looney is a good depth guy. TJE has been awesome for a UDFA. Didn't Baalke end up trading Cam Johnson? If so not a bad pick if he got his pick back for him. Fleming never had a chance at OLB. I say D-...
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Apr 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone