LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 314 users in the forums

Can't Resist Mock

I know I said my last mock would be the final, but as the title indicates, I just couldn't resist making another. I won't make the mistake of saying this will be my last one again.

Going with the spirit of the title, the following mock is my own personal dream/yet realistic scenario with can't resist prospects. Also, this is a straight up mock with no trades,

ROUND 1

MALCOLM BROWN - DT - TEXAS

This guy is just ferocious. Want to stop the run? Want interior pass rush? Want a guy that's going to immediately compete with williams and Dorsey for a starting spot? Brown is the guy.

ROUND 2

STEPHONE ANTHONY - CLEMSON - ILB

There's a lot of great linebacker prospects, but the more I look at them, the more I'm starting to prefer Anthony. Some have more coverage skills, some more instinctual, some bigger hitters... Anthony seems to have a little of everything. Doesn't lack much in any department.

ROUND 3

CEDRIC OGBUEHI - OT - TEXAS A&M

A big linemen that would have gone higher for his injury. I like him to become Alex Boone's possible replacement.

ROUND 4

Pick 1:

JOSH SHAW - CB - USC

Who knows how high this kid could've gone had he played this season. This would be tremendous value here in the 4th. He's not small, good against the run. I think he could play nickel and on the outside as well.

Pick 2:

DEZMIN LEWIS - WR - UCA

Small school. A ton of upside. I like this kid a lot. Him an Kenny Bell are my two favorite receivers to be had in the later rounds.

ROUND 5

LYNDEN TRAIL - NORFOLK - DE

This guy is just a monster. I would see it similar to the Lynch pick from last year. This guy is raw but has tremendous qualities. Tomsula would have a lot of clay to play with there.

ROUND 6

MATT JONES - RB - FLORIDA

I would be happy with him or Karlos from Florida St. in the later rounds but I like Jones the best. He runs hard and has some elusiveness. Could be solid in pass protection.

ROUND 7

Pick 1:

KYSHEON JARRET - SS - VIRGINIA TECH

Special teams. Depth. Has potential to really become something. Check him out.

Pick 2

BRYAN BENETT - QB - SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Fluid thrower. Athletic. Would be a 3rd stringer at worst.
  • bors
  • Veteran
like the Shaw pick. How do you compare Anthony to Taiwan jones
  • crew
  • Veteran
Like all your picks except Shaw and Brown. Brown's a 4-3 DL and not a good fit. Draft Peters at #15 and in the 4th, draft OT Poutasi, Utah in the 4th instead of Shaw.
Nice mock.
No offensive help what so ever
It's almost like our offense has been awesome and our defense has sucked....
Originally posted by daragon:
It's almost like our offense has been awesome and our defense has sucked....

For real did we miss something?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Defense wins. As long as our defense stays strong, this team has a chance to be in the postseason. The defenses in the NFC west are so good, and I think in order to compete this defense has to not only be as solid as before but even better.

I think the reason this team faltered last season was the unwillingness to go back to our offensive roots. I think the offense will change drastically in just the change of philosophy. The offense has enough tools to win. With a healthy o-line and the return to the run game, this team should be fine on offense.

Besides, most of our free agency signings have been on the offensive side. And most of our losses in free agency, or retirement, have been on the defensive side.

I think building that defense up is the best plan.
Originally posted by ivanm05:

Defense wins. As long as our defense stays strong, this team has a chance to be in the postseason. The defenses in the NFC west are so good, and I think in order to compete this defense has to not only be as solid as before but even better.

I think the reason this team faltered last season was the unwillingness to go back to our offensive roots. I think the offense will change drastically in just the change of philosophy. The offense has enough tools to win. With a healthy o-line and the return to the run game, this team should be fine on offense.

Besides, most of our free agency signings have been on the offensive side. And most of our losses in free agency, or retirement, have been on the defensive side.

No defense will prosper if the offense is going three and out. The defense was fine last year; the offense blew chunks. Yes, the defense lost Willis, Borland and McDonald but the offense lost Gore, Crabtree, Lloyd and S. Johnson. At the very least, there should be balance in the draft.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

No defense will prosper if the offense is going three and out. The defense was fine last year; the offense blew chunks. Yes, the defense lost Willis, Borland and McDonald but the offense lost Gore, Crabtree, Lloyd and S. Johnson. At the very least, there should be balance in the draft.

C'mon. How much did Stevie, lloyd and Crabtree actually contribute last season. Torrey Smith alone produced almost if not more than all those three guys combined.

Yes, Stevie was hurt, and I think he shouldve been resigned. But everyone is crying about how were going to replace crabtree and such. I'll give you gore. Hell, his leadership alone will be missed, but on the field, I think Hyde will do just fine. Lets not kid ourselves, Frank was productive but he wasn't the Frank of old.

And the offensive weapons aren't the problem. You can put a number one receiver like Parker, or draft a tight end like Max Williams, but if Kap can't go through his reads and just get happy feet around the pocket what's it going to matter?

I mean, who are you drafting early in this draft, especially at 15, when Cooper, Parker, and White gone, that's going to help this team win right off the bat??

I think this team has to focus on it's strengths, it's the only edge this team has really. Drafting offense early, unsure what the quarterback's bringing you is a big risk in my opinion.
[ Edited by ivanm05 on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:11 PM ]

C'mon. How much did Stevie, lloyd and Crabtree actually contribute last season. Torrey Smith alone produced almost if not more than all those three guys combined.

Yes, Stevie was hurt, and I think he shouldve been resigned. But everyone is crying about how were going to replace crabtree and such. I'll give you gore. Hell, his leadership alone will be missed, but on the field, I think Hyde will do just fine. Lets not kid ourselves, Frank was productive but he wasn't the Frank of old.

And the offensive weapons aren't the problem. You can put a number one receiver like Parker, or draft a tight end like Max Williams, but if Kap can't go through his reads and just get happy feet around the pocket what's it going to matter?

I mean, who are you drafting early in this draft, especially at 15, when Cooper, Parker, and White gone, that's going to help this team win right off the bat??

I think this team has to focus on it's strengths, it's the only edge this team has really. Drafting offense early, unsure what the quarterback's bringing you is a big risk in my opinion.

Torrey Smith had 49 catches for 767 yards last year so no he didn't produce more dude lol.

I'm soooo tired of people saying Kap doesn't go through his reads that's a very untrue and almost a lazy comment. If you watch, he goes through his reads as long as the pocket allows (which wasn't long with our 30th ranked pass protection line). It's also very hard for him to throw to a WR that doesn't ever get open. Boldin was force fed the ball last year because his game isn't creating separation but out muscling the DB. What are we gonna do after this season with Boldin being a FA? Smith isn't a #1 never has been...

Grabbing a WR that either get's constant separation (Cooper) or has a big catch radius (Paker) would only help Kap and having two stud WRs that will actually be with the team for the next 4 years will only help in the growth of our QB.

As far as getting back to our offensive roots, we were still 4th in rushing last year and 9th in attempts, guess what we didn't make the playoffs. Balanced teams win football games not defensive teams. Look at our offense in 2012 we had playmaker and Kap looked great. Moss, pre-injury crabs, healthy VD, Walker etc....he beat Brady,Rogers,Brees, Ryan that year so I think the FO and coaching staff knows what we have with kap.

So focus on our strengths and not worry about what we need to improve on is your game plan? How does that make us better? What's wrong with having a more balance football team? Our defense would be much better if they didn't have to be on the field 70% of the time.

If they are unsure of the QB then let's move on and get Winston, if not let's make our QB better by surrounding with good players.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM ]
Torrey Smith had 49 catches for 767 yards last year so no he didn't produce more dude lol.

I'm soooo tired of people saying Kap doesn't go through his reads that's a very untrue and almost a lazy comment. If you watch, he goes through his reads as long as the pocket allows (which wasn't long with our 30th ranked pass protection line). It's also very hard for him to throw to a WR that doesn't ever get open. Boldin was force fed the ball last year because his game isn't creating separation but out muscling the DB. What are we gonna do after this season with Boldin being a FA? Smith isn't a #1 never has been...

Grabbing a WR that either get's constant separation (Cooper) or has a big catch radius (Paker) would only help Kap and having two stud WRs that will actually be with the team for the next 4 years will only help in the growth of our QB.

As far as getting back to our offensive roots, we were still 4th in rushing last year and 9th in attempts, guess what we didn't make the playoffs. Balanced teams win football games not defensive teams. Look at our offense in 2012 we had playmaker and Kap looked great. Moss, pre-injury crabs, healthy VD, Walker etc....he beat Brady,Rogers,Brees, Ryan that year so I think the FO and coaching staff knows what we have with kap.

So focus on our strengths and not worry about what we need to improve on is your game plan? How does that make us better? What's wrong with having a more balance football team? Our defense would be much better if they didn't have to be on the field 70% of the time.

If they are unsure of the QB then let's move on and get Winston, if not let's make our QB better by surrounding with good players.

The thing about Kap whether ppl want to admit it or not is that he gets anxious in the pocket and immediately looks to escape. Now i know that the line didn't help last season and it was primarily due to injuries, but every qb gets pressure. If we go offense in the first, it has to be the line.

Unless parker or cooper are there but i doubt it.

Kap deserves another season with some solid line play to see what he has, but if he doesn't show much improvement, it will be his last as a 49er. I guarantee you that. Then we can look for a qb early in the draft next year.

And plus, everyone wants all these receivers. Bro, we're not the Packers, or the Saints, or the Colts. We're a running team. We use three WR sets... if that.

Kap right now isn't the type of quarterback to run a pass first offense. He showed that last season. He might in the future, but right now, we need to be a running team. And what compliments the running game?... a solid D.

I'm not so convinced this defense is just going to pick off where it left off. We're all being too naive if we think this time is going to be prolific on the defense side with all the losses we've had. Let's hope NaVarro is his old self , Aldon too ... because if they're not, then we're in trouble.

No combo of offensive picks is going to save us if thats the case. Everyone wants the flashy picks - Beckham, Cooper, Gurley... and so on... I do too, but thats not what's going to help this team as much as line players.

And Torrey Smith had 11 Td's. Stevie, Crabtree, and Lloyd had 8 combined.

And everyone wants to bring up 2012.. we're in 2015. We need to let that go. This is a far different team than that team, including Kap. He was fresh on the scene and defenses didn't know how to defend him.

I mean c'mon. Be honest... you're Balkee... you're there at 15. Parker, Cooper, and White are gone. Scherff Is gone. Maybe La'el Collins is there. Which offensive player are you drafting there? But Malcolm Brown is there.. Amstead is there. Marcus Peters is there. Maybe Shelton. Bud Dupree.

I know I would go Defense. But hey to each his own. If you think Beckham with all his problems merits the choice there, knock yourself out.
Rumor has it Ogbuehi will be gone as early as the 1st.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Rumor has it Ogbuehi will be gone as early as the 1st.

Yeah, the guy is first round talent. Only reason people had him falling to the 2nd, possibly the 3rd was because of his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone