There are 96 users in the forums

Will Borland/Coffee/Lattimore/Jenkins etc.. change Baalke's draft strategy?

We should just give up on all human players. They all eventually get cut, traded, or retire. Bums. We need to start drafting robots. Boom. Super Bowl.

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I bet Borland was insured. If you can play one season, make some nice money for a kid coming out of college, and then cash in on a insurance policy and live off investing that money for the rest of your life without the health concern... why wouldn't you?

Insured for what? Insured for not wanting to play anymore?

That's not the way insurance works.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Baalke didn't draft Coffee.

Every player has his own issue like you said, if not they would all be top 10 picks. Baalke has had a ton of draft picks the past couple years and has been able to take a chance on a player like Lattimore or Borland. Who knew Borland would retire after one season?? He clearly had a ton of talent and that's all I want Baalke to keep doing.... keep drafting talent.

I believe Baalke and his current scouting department are one of the best in the league at finding talent and that's one of the reasons we will remain a good team.

Can we once and for all come to the realization that Trent Baalke was the head of college scouting for our drafts well before he was the GM...

Everyone is always saying "This player was drafted before Baalke was GM", or "That was McCloughan's pick". Trent Baalke has been in charge of scouting the college ranks for our drafts since 2008. Every player we have taken since the 2008 draft was probably at least highly recommended by Baalke.

Now we are giving all the created to Baalke for drafting players in 2008? I guess we could say that Matt Malaspina (directer of scouting past couple years) was responsible for the "lack" of knowledge that Borland was only gonna play for one year...
Originally posted by jreff22:
At this point the only thing I would change is the idea of going after red-shirt ACL players. We no longer have the luxury of taking guys who don't need to play.

I disagree. If we had 7 1st round picks then all 7 rookies could make the roster. We lost some depth but we are still pretty deep. How many 4-7 round picks do you think can honestly make the roster. How many 4-7 round picks could beat out the guys on our roster now for staring jobs. Can you see a 4-7 rounder beating out Thomas or Martin for the starting guard job? Can you see a 4-7 rounder beating out Dial or Carradine for the DE job? Wilhoite for the ILB job? The only positions I can see being filled in the late rounds are backup S, OT, OLB, ILB, but they would have to beat out the players already on our roster. The only ACL players I would want this year are Gurley (if he falls to the 2nd) and Ifo (Oregon CB, if he falls to the 4th
Share 49ersWebzone