LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 372 users in the forums

Mariota or Winston, who will be the better QB? Who will be a bust?

Mariota or Winston, who will be the better QB? Who will be a bust?

I saw one site compare Winston to Eli Manning. That comparison makes so much sense as far as tendencies go. I see that as being Winston's ceiling, while Byron Leftwitch is his worst case scenario. If you factor in potential off the field problems then he could really bust. I think he'll be a good, not great starting QB.

As for Mariota, I think hen also falls into the best case scenario is a very good, but not great QB. I'd take Bridgewater and Carr over him and Winston at this point.
ESPN this morning said that Mariota is blowing it up in the Interviews - better Football knowledge than Russel Wilson had in his interview and that was the best he (the TV Talking head) knew of.
I'm not remotely sold on either. High side for Winston is Cutler/Jeff George level play IMO. Different style, but big plays, big mistakes. Lots of talent, lots of infuriating plays. Down side is a complete JaMarcus Russel if he just doesn't get it and the big plays don't materialize.

Mariota, I see as a Nick Foles, Alex Smith, McNabb. Can play good to great in the right system. With a perfect fit, could even be a winner. (See Eli). But not a team carrying QB. Down side is a QB destroyed by not having that. Ala, early Alex Smith, David Carr or countless other QBs who have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and got either exposed or beaten to a pulp until they were barely serviceable backups.

Especially given the teams with the top 6 picks in the draft, I wouldn't be shocked to see both these buys as backups or out of the NFL by the time their rookie contracts are up. Both are fair prospects at best (in terms of ability to become a franchise QB), and will likely end up on bad teams that are not QB friendly or smart.

I agree with those who think the best thing in the world for Mariota would be for the Eagles to sell the farm to get him. He could really thrive there. I don't think that is necessarily a good move for the Eagles, as I believe Chip Kelly can find a QB for his system without giving away a draft for Mariota, but for Mariota it would be ideal.
I don't know. This boiler makes him look like a little anxiety could turn him into the next version of Jamarcus Russell./

If the Eagles end up getting Mariota, I think he ends up having the better career. Tough to be against a QB with any talent in that system. They made Mark Sanchez look like a good NFL QB. It seems like Kelly loves the guy and may try to trade several picks to move up. And Mariota is going to throw at the combine.

http://philadelphia.suntimes.com/philadelphia-eagles/7/96/78622/report-eagles-trade-four-draft-picks-jets-mariota
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Winston is going to bust.
I'd like to see Mariota under center first. That will tell you a lot.
I think Winston has the tools to be the better pro QB...he's got to get his mind right, & if he does, I think he could be a special QB.

I'm just not sold on Mariota...at least not as a potential franchise QB.
Winston says he plans on winning the Super Bowl next year. He does realize he's getting drafted by a team that sucks, right?
[ Edited by ninerjok on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:28 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
I don't know. This boiler makes him look like a little anxiety could turn him into the next version of Jamarcus Russell./

"The photo of Jameis was taken in early-mid January," Whitfield said by phone. "If people are saying he looks out of shape – well, did they notice he had the leash tight around his waist? That may have had something to do with it," he laughed. "Jameis is in shape and doing great. Anyone saying he's out of shape, they can check him out at the Combine this week."

http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/14/jameis-winston-fat-photo-nfl-draft-combine/

Winston, get him in shape, and he can stand tall in the pocket, make more of the NFL type throws throwing to spots, Mariotta is just too back yard QB in a way and I think you don't draft a QB that high if he really quite honestly isn't very accurate from the pocket. Durability will be an issue he's running around as well
[ Edited by 49erjonny on Feb 21, 2015 at 4:54 AM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I'm 12 years old and what is this?

lmao, it has 18% of the Votes.
It's tough getting a read on a QB that has played in a spread formation during his time in college. There is no film to see them in the pocket. That being said, if Kelly somehow gets Mariota I think he will succeed in that system. If he goes anywhere else he could turn into another Kap. I like Winston but can he keep it together? If you miss on a top 3 pick at QB it puts the program in reverse for years.
Winston looks really good throwing the ball. Even with no defenders, Mariota is placing the ball more conservatively and is more likely to miss to the sideline, while Winston has missed inside a couple times. Both have had pretty good days though. Blake Sims looks bad which makes me appreciate Cooper more.
Winston: bust.

Mariota: Rich man's Colin Kaepernick 2.0 (so he'll be an average NFL QB).

Gotta draft Bryce Petty. He's projected to be around a 4th-round pick or something. Hundley is garbage IMO. Petty's the only one I even remotely like long term.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone