LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 257 users in the forums

Does anyone else think Trent Baalke couldn't find a trade parter in Round 1?

Just my 2¢. I don't think the front office could find anyone in Round 1 who wanted to move back to #30 for a 2nd and a 3rd (in theory). Just seemed like the 49ers would have moved up if they could.

11 picks is a lot to sit on. What do you guys think?
Maiocco said they were trying to trade up to draft OBJ but he went way to high to the Giants at 12. Too pricey to move up to higher than that.

-EAD
I think the price was too high. Looking at the price the Saints paid to move up to get Cooks, i tend to agree. Then on the backside, i'm thinking they didn't think taking a 3rd rounder next year to move back 10 slots (with the Vikings) was worth possibly missing out on Ward.
He probably explored trading up. Ultimately decided the price was too steep. Only guy I would have traded up for was Beckham, and he was gone by #12. It would have taken a lot to move up that far.

We got our DB in the 1st round, now we can focus on WR in the 2nd. A lot of nice players still on the board. Lee, Latimer, Moncrief, Adams....one of these guys will be a Niner tomorrow.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Just my 2¢. I don't think the front office could find anyone in Round 1 who wanted to move back to #30 for a 2nd and a 3rd (in theory). Just seemed like the 49ers would have moved up if they could.

11 picks is a lot to sit on. What do you guys think?

I think they certainly could have moved up had they wanted to but there wasn't anyone rated high on their board for them to move up, so they stood pat and picked the highest guy on their board at that time. Just because they have all these picks doesn't mean they won't now use them to move around, to move up into the 2nd and 3rd to select guys that they really want. This is a very deep draft and the 49ers are poised to pick another 4 or 5 players tomorrow.
Originally posted by IEAD:
Maiocco said they were trying to trade up to draft OBJ but he went way to high to the Giants at 12. Too pricey to move up to higher than that.

-EAD

EAT MY D.

Good to know. Thanks bud.
Yes i think the price was probably a little high, but also as the draft was going i had the feeling a lot of teams weren't going to budge really. As it got deeper I think staying was the best play. We can still move around a lot in the next 2 rds.
I don't think there was a strong play for us to jump up to the 10-17 range. s**t Buffalo to move up 4 spots gave up a 1st rd next yr too. They may need that next yr lol. The Saints went deep.
I'm fine with the fact we stayed. Day 2 will be interesting. I bet they will be aggressive.
Heading into the draft, there was plenty of buzz that the 49ers would trade up like they did last year for LSU's Eric Reid and that another LSU player, Odell Beckham, Jr., was their target. General manager Trent Baalke acknowledged a fondness for Beckham, but he said that getting the speedy receiver would have been a bit too expensive.

Beckham ended up being taken by the Giants at pick No. 12.

We certainly liked him as a football player,Baalke said. But the price of doing business when you're trying to move up into the Top 10 or close to the Top 10 becomes pretty stiff. And you're giving up a lot of football players to go get one football player. And if you look at history, a lot of time it works against you.

Baalke said the draft's depth at wide receiver also prompted them to stay put at No. 30. Indeed, there are several players including Indiana's Cody Latimer, Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews, Penn State's Allen Robinson, Fresno State's Davante Adams, Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief and USC's Marqise Lee who are still available. The 49ers have two picks in the second round, Nos. 56 and 61, and three in the third.

If the 49ers are interested in a field-stretching player like Beckham, they might like Clemson's Martavis Bryant, who is one of the players that visited Santa Clara last month.

-Matt Barrows
[ Edited by 49ersOnMINE on May 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM ]
Sounds like nobody wanted to dance with Baalke.
We probably couldn't trade up without selling the house but we probably could have traded back. The 1st 2 picks of the draft were non QB's by teams that needed QB's and the Raiders were sitting with the aprox 5th pick in rd 2 and needed a QB as well. We probably could have traded back and got an extra pick and still drafted our guy. On the small chance he was gone there would be plenty of very talented players we would covet that we could draft instead. We might have picked up a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We probably couldn't trade up without selling the house but we probably could have traded back. The 1st 2 picks of the draft were non QB's by teams that needed QB's and the Raiders were sitting with the aprox 5th pick in rd 2 and needed a QB as well. We probably could have traded back and got an extra pick and still drafted our guy. On the small chance he was gone there would be plenty of very talented players we would covet that we could draft instead. We might have picked up a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

Here's the difference, even if you could get him in the 2nd round, by virtue of drafting him in the 2nd you don't get a 5th year option on him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 9, 2014 at 12:12 AM ]
The asking price was too high for who we wanted.

The players in the middle of the first simply weren't worth 3rd round picks.
I don't think he was targeting anything specific and it would have been real expensive to trade up to the top 15 or so. They probably had nobody knock their socks off at #20 or #25 or whatever and just stayed put at #30. Which isn't all bad I guess. They didn't use up much ammo. So they can spend it now dealing up in the 2nd or just staying put and picking in the 2nd and 3rd.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Here's the difference, even if you could get him in the 2nd round, by virtue of drafting him in the 2nd you don't get a 5th year option on him.
also, people think if i pass on this player that player is highly rated too. but would you pass on earl thomas and accept dashon goldson for a late 3rd?
With all the picks we have it is unreasonable to think that he could not find someone to trade up with. If there was someone he really wanted, he could have traded up and gotten them.

My guess is that the asking price was to high to get into the early teens, and once we got to the early 20's, Baalke figured he would be able to get someone he rated similarly without having to give up a 3rd rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone