LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 351 users in the forums

Easter Mock

Me gusta mucho. Well done!
I like the trade down scenario, but I not a fan of the names at there spots. I'm a fan of Mocrief and I think that would be about right (40). Tuitt is a good player, but when would he play? Our DL is probably the deepest position we have right now. I'm not sure why people are thinking Gaines will go in the 2nd? He has the measurables, but that's about it, poor run supporter and tackler plus he has been injured a lot. I like Buchanon, but we need players that will see the field this year, plus he won't be around at 72. I like Smith and his stock is rising so who knows if he makes it to the 3rd. I know Archer is a speed demon, but would we even use him other than kick/punt returns (LMJ never saw the field)?
WRT Moncrief, and with Crabtree going into the final year of his rookie contract, I'd think Baalke would want more than upside in the 1st WR he picks. He has to be thinking replacement...and for me that's Matthews.

Don't see him taking Tuitt, although it's possible. Another CB is possible (see Colvin, but he'd likely be red-shirted).

Knock on Gaines is he's weak against the run. In the NFC West, that's a distinct disadvantage. Breeland's a guy Baalke likes and he's got a very good all-around game.

Like Marcus Smith a lot...but think he'll go earlier than #77.

Archer's really small...yes, he's got speed. So do Herron and Ellington and they have @ 20 lbs more muscle.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
WRT Moncrief, and with Crabtree going into the final year of his rookie contract, I'd think Baalke would want more than upside in the 1st WR he picks. He has to be thinking replacement...and for me that's Matthews.

Don't see him taking Tuitt, although it's possible. Another CB is possible (see Colvin, but he'd likely be red-shirted).

Knock on Gaines is he's weak against the run. In the NFC West, that's a distinct disadvantage. Breeland's a guy Baalke likes and he's got a very good all-around game.

Like Marcus Smith a lot...but think he'll go earlier than #77.

Archer's really small...yes, he's got speed. So do Herron and Ellington and they have @ 20 lbs more muscle.

I thought about Roby at 42 which may be a little late, but I so think one or two of the top 5 corners will make it into the 2nd round (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Verrett, Roby) and I think they are pretty similar so taking whichever is left around 40 represents a better value than taking one we want at 30 or trading up slightly. It's possible that Baalke is targeting one of those players in particular which would make the trade back less likely. Instead, I went with Tuitt because he's probably my favorite prospect in the draft and would represent very good value there for a 3-4 defense imo. I've said it before, but I think Tuitt will be a much better player than Carradine and would see the field some as a rookie.

I really like Ellington and had him at 77 at first until I saw Smith was ranked 81 on CBS and projected in the 3rd round in a number of mocks. Archer is significantly faster than both of those guys although Ellington can probably run mid-high 4.3's if he works on his technique. Ellington won't be available at 100 and may not be there at 77 anyways. I would rather have Archer than Herron - Herron is a much better receiver now, but Archer has Tavon Austin speed and quickness while Herron is an undersized WR with good, but not world class speed. Archer's value initially would be as a returner.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like the trade down scenario, but I not a fan of the names at there spots. I'm a fan of Mocrief and I think that would be about right (40). Tuitt is a good player, but when would he play? Our DL is probably the deepest position we have right now. I'm not sure why people are thinking Gaines will go in the 2nd? He has the measurables, but that's about it, poor run supporter and tackler plus he has been injured a lot. I like Buchanon, but we need players that will see the field this year, plus he won't be around at 72. I like Smith and his stock is rising so who knows if he makes it to the 3rd. I know Archer is a speed demon, but would we even use him other than kick/punt returns (LMJ never saw the field)?

We have no depth at safety, so Buchanon may see the field this year if we draft him and one of our safeties gets hurt. Several NFL teams have 3 safety packages which we could use sporadically if we drafted Buchanon and he developed. We could draft Ellington at 72 and a safety at 100, but I don't like many of the safeties this year. I'm of the opinion that just because one small, fast RB (LMJ) didn't pan out as a slot receiver or offensive weapon doesn't mean that another guy with a slightly different skill set won't pan out.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone