There are 101 users in the forums

49ERS 2014 DRAFT WITH EXTENSIVE RESEARCH

PICK 30-Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State Big Bodied Wr the 49ers need and covet. Instant Redzone upgrade also
PICK 56-Keith McGill, CB, Utah Long tall CB with good 4.4 speed and long arms would fit in well with our D and could become a elite CB
PICK 61-Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Florida State Perfect for the nickel CB role and plays man coverage very well and has good speed and an absolute stud blitzing off the edge
PICK 77-Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State Tall Rangy LB with speed to burn ran in the 4.4 range and can play sideline to sideline. Needs to add weight to frame but could be a steal and causes havoc when blitzing
PICK 100- Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State- Small WR but has blazing speed 4.2 range and is a legitmate deep threat and a kick/punt returner phenom
PICK 129-Caraun Reid-DT Princeton Blew up the senior bowl and can collapse the pocket and has the size and strength to hold up against the run and rush the qb when needed absolute steal here will be a stud in NFL play at ivy leagu school at Princeton and got no recognition there b/c of the comp they play but dominated senior bowl
PICK 170-Bryan Stork, C, Florida State Need depth at Center and Stork was one of the best in the nation before he got hurt- With Kilgore unproven we need depth and this guy can fill in at gurad also if needed and an upgrade over Adam Snyder
PICK 201-Trade W Chargers- Logan Thomas-QB VT- Project QB but has all the measureables 6'6 huge arm good speed 4.6 range needs to be more accurate and his foot work needs to be polished and Harbaugh can fix both of these issues could be a steal and solid backup to Colin
PICK 242-Colt Lyerla-Te Oregon- Ton of potential 6'4 240lbs great speed 4.4 range great hands can stretch the field and will block when needed but needs to get stronger in weight room. also has off field issues and alot of them- arrested for possesion of drugs left team week 3 2013 needs to be with a strong locker room and coah who can keep him in line and bring out his potential and mazimize it. Caould be a major steal if he gets his act together.

Interesting. Not sure about Kelvin Benjamin. I like Latimer and Coleman as big bodied receivers available in the 3rd round. Nice Draft.

Why does everybody think we need a red zone upgrade?

Anquan Boldin is heading to the hall of fame and has been a red zone stud his whole career. He was the same against us in the Superbowl.

Michael Crabtree is a great receiver and is tough in the red zone.

Vernon Davis is a major red zone threat. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last few years?

Who would you take of the field so we could bring in a red zone upgrade?
I'm a huge Kelvin Benjamin fan so I like the mock.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Interesting. Not sure about Kelvin Benjamin. I like Latimer and Coleman as big bodied receivers available in the 3rd round. Nice Draft.

Anquan Boldin is heading to the hall of fame and has been a red zone stud his whole career. He was the same against us in the Superbowl.

Vernon Davis is a major red zone threat. How many TE's have more TD's than Davis the last few years?

Not a huge fan of Benjamin too many drops and reminds me of a TE not a WR. Niners were ranked 15th in the league in red zone score (TD only), so middle of the pack. I think fans just saw too many games where we kicked a field goal or missed out on a TD in a clutch moment. It would be nice to throw a fad to a big red zone target or have a confident feeling that we are gonna score a TD.
  • pfizz
Horrible first pick. Not sure if youre aware but we already have a receiver like him on the roster - Jon Baldwin. Dont need another 1st round bust.
Originally posted by pfizz:
Horrible first pick. Not sure if youre aware but we already have a receiver like him on the roster - Jon Baldwin. Dont need another 1st round bust.

I almost posted the exact same thing word for word.

I would honestly rather have Martavis Bryant than Kelvin Benjamin
  • pfizz
Would easily take MB over KB especially since he can be had a little later.
[ Edited by pfizz on Apr 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]
Alot of bad research, sorry
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not a huge fan of Benjamin too many drops and reminds me of a TE not a WR. Niners were ranked 15th in the league in red zone score (TD only), so middle of the pack. I think fans just saw too many games where we kicked a field goal or missed out on a TD in a clutch moment. It would be nice to throw a fad to a big red zone target or have a confident feeling that we are gonna score a TD.

Has nothing to do with the talent of our receivers. This is the 49ers philosophy. If we are behind we go for the TD but if we can take the lead with a FG or have the lead we play conservative, protect the FG attempt and rely on our defense. If we can run it in great or maybe a safe pass play great but we don't really attack unless we have to.

Last years failed attempt on the fade had nothing to do with receiver height. The pass shouldn't have been thrown. We had an open receiver on the other side. Then the pass was underthrown. A 7' receiver wouldn't have made a difference. Bad decision and then bad throw by the QB.

Probably b/c the team seems to stall out in the redzone and settle for fg's. Boldin, Crabs and VD aren't out jumping ppl on a consistent basis.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Probably b/c the team seems to stall out in the redzone and settle for fg's. Boldin, Crabs and VD aren't out jumping ppl on a consistent basis.

And our last 2 seasons have ended with passes to Crabtree in the end zone. I think it's a big area of need for 14/15 season.
  • pfizz
jon baldwin is 6'4 and has a higher vertical than kelvin benjamin by 10 inches. all the same flaws too except no weight issues like KB has. explain to me again what kelvin "inevitable bust" benjamin would provide that we dont already have?

the lack of redzone success is from scheme and philosophy and not from the lack of "out jumping" opponents. Not to mention that jump ball/fade pass is one of Kap worst passes.blame harbaugh and roman.
[ Edited by pfizz on Apr 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM ]
Something I've seen in almost every mock draft in this forum has been pestering me.

We WILL NOT take two CBs with our first two picks.
We WILL NOT take two WRs with our first two picks.
We WILL NOT take two CBs within our first three picks.
We WILL NOT take two WRs within our first three picks.

We have other needs (interior line, middle linebacker, safety) that also must be addressed.
But what about 2010? You say. We took two offensive linemen with our first two picks!
Shush. That was an exception based on an extreme need, and tackle and guard are two different positions.
Baalke will spread our first 3-5 picks to cover our various needs before he repeats a position.
I guarantee it.
Living in Utah I have watched Keith McGill a lot. He is not a 2nd round talent. The dude looks awesome physically, and its easy to be enamored over his measurables. But he is not a great FB player.
Originally posted by lamontb:

It's rare in the nfl when a player out jumps somebody for the ball in the end zone. Most fade pattern td's have nothing to do with height and evreything to do with placement of the ball. The pass Kap threw was underthrown by 3 feet and shouldn't have been thrown anyway. A fade pattern from about the 18 yard line to a receiver covered step for step - not a good idea. We had a wide open receiver on the other side of the field.

Stalling in the red zone is about offensive philosophy not the lack of leapers in the receiving core.
Share 49ersWebzone