LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 290 users in the forums

2014 draft QB tiers

I was trying to place where all the QB's could fall in the draft and group them somehow. This is what I've come up with so far:

Tier 1: 1st-early 2nd round:
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Derek Carr

Tier 2: 3rd-4th:
Jimmy Garoppolo
Zach Mettenberger
Brett Smith
A.J. McCarron

Tier 3: 4th-5th:
Garrett Gilbert
Aaron Murray
David Fales
Logan Thomas

Tier 4: 5th-7th:
Tahj Boyd
Tom Savage
Jeff Matthews
Connor Shaw
Stephen Morris

Brett Smith, Logan Thomas, and Garrett Gilbert seemed like the hardest players to place. If a team thinks Logan Thomas can learn to play QB, he could be gone much earlier than the 4th round. I think there is a pretty big gap between the top tier and the rest of the prospects and there are a lot of QB's who could be taken in rounds 3-5. I would rather have Gabbert than any of the QB's in the 3rd and 4th tiers, but we are also paying him a lot more than rookies chosen that late.

I'm curious about how everyone else ranks/groups the QB's. I'm also hoping all 4 of the tier 1 QB's get taken before our pick so more players fall to us.
Frankly I think the words top tier are kind of misleading for this draft. Manziel has great physical skills but is no where near a lock and the rest scream solid instead of franchise QB. With so many you have to think that 1 or 2 of the later ones will pan out and be pretty good but there isn't a single gauranteed franchise QB in this entire draft. There are goind to be a lot of dissapointed teams counting on QB's in this draft.
I really like that A.J. McCarron.

Not for us but I still feel he'll be a solid QB for someone.

I think your 1st tier will all go in the 1st - at least I'm really hoping so other guys slide further sown.

Who knows maybe some QB will unexpectedly fall to 30 and we get a VERY good offer to trade back.
Mettenberger is not going in the 3rd to 4th round. Higher. Much higher.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I was trying to place where all the QB's could fall in the draft and group them somehow. This is what I've come up with so far:

Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Derek Carr

Jimmy Garoppolo
Zach Mettenberger
Brett Smith
A.J. McCarron

Garrett Gilbert
Aaron Murray
David Fales
Logan Thomas

Tahj Boyd
Tom Savage
Jeff Matthews
Connor Shaw
Stephen Morris

Brett Smith, Logan Thomas, and Garrett Gilbert seemed like the hardest players to place. If a team thinks Logan Thomas can learn to play QB, he could be gone much earlier than the 4th round. I think there is a pretty big gap between the top tier and the rest of the prospects and there are a lot of QB's who could be taken in rounds 3-5. I would rather have Gabbert than any of the QB's in the 3rd and 4th tiers, but we are also paying him a lot more than rookies chosen that late.

I'm curious about how everyone else ranks/groups the QB's. I'm also hoping all 4 of the tier 1 QB's get taken before our pick so more players fall to us.
2nd rd
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Derek Carr

Jimmy Garoppolo
Zach Mettenberger
Brett Smith
A.J. McCarron

Garrett Gilbert
Aaron Murray
David Fales
Logan Thomas

Tahj Boyd
Tom Savage
Jeff Matthews
Connor Shaw
Stephen Morris

udfa
A.J. McCarron will be exposed as the poser he is. 'Bama's D and Offensive line gave him all needed to win those NC's. if you thought Alex Smith was game manager then wait and see with this guy. always thought he was the sh!t even getting in arguments during the National Championship game. who the fcuk gets into a shouting match with the center. It was a classless and gutless move on his part.
Originally posted by xcfan:
udfa

Yeah some of those guys probably will be udfa's. It seems like this QB class is relatively deep but weak at the top. I think 2-3 of those guys may be drafted which would bring the total to around 14-15 which is still pretty high compared to recent classes. I can't imagine Boyd not getting drafted given how productive he was since he has a reasonable arm and is mobile. Savage and Matthews have some size and nice arms and Shaw is just really tough.

Carr may fall to 30 and we might be able to trade back a little to a team who wants to use a first round pick on him to get an extra year.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Yeah some of those guys probably will be udfa's. It seems like this QB class is relatively deep but weak at the top. I think 2-3 of those guys may be drafted which would bring the total to around 14-15 which is still pretty high compared to recent classes. I can't imagine Boyd not getting drafted given how productive he was since he has a reasonable arm and is mobile. Savage and Matthews have some size and nice arms and Shaw is just really tough.

Carr may fall to 30 and we might be able to trade back a little to a team who wants to use a first round pick on him to get an extra year.

the problem is those 10 guys slated before boyd and the rest. qb needs will be met before the so-called tier 4 guys come up. other draft needs will push these marginal guys out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow no love for James Franklin, how about we turn down the Manziel hype for just a moment:

What can't this guy do??

1. Pocket presence.....check

2. Accuracy.....check

3. Measuables, 6'2" 225 pounds.....check

4. Arm strength.....check

5. Athleticism......check

Garrett Gilbert
Aaron Murray
David Fales
Logan Thomas

I would be happy to have Aaron Murray 1st or David Fales 2nd in round 4. I think Murray will be a stud when done rehabbing. I simply like Fales and think he could be a great career back up to CK7
Originally posted by 9erred:
Garrett Gilbert
Aaron Murray
David Fales
Logan Thomas

I would be happy to have Aaron Murray 1st or David Fales 2nd in round 4. I think Murray will be a stud when done rehabbing. I simply like Fales and think he could be a great career back up to CK7

This
Share 49ersWebzone