There are 656 users in the forums

OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU

• Jd925
  • Veteran
Looked like a potential superstar when I saw highlights of him as a Junior. Didn't see much about him last year. What do you guys think?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Similar frame to Bruce Irvin, but to me he doesn't have the physical ability to be a 3-4 OLB in our scheme. Great player and instant starter on the majority of NFL teams. Needs to get stronger to take down pro offensive players.

I think he's the perfect 4-3/Tampa 2 OLB type player.
Ive watched him for 3 years. Hes a GREAT player. But doesnt fit the Niners Defensive scheme. He needs to go to a 4-3 Defense.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Similar frame to Bruce Irvin, but to me he doesn't have the physical ability to be a 3-4 OLB in our scheme. Great player and instant starter on the majority of NFL teams. Needs to get stronger to take down pro offensive players.

This, I see him as a Lavonte David type of linebacker, very nice prospect, but not a 3-4 guy.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran

Physical ability as in strength and size? I think he was double teamed a lot his Senior season..

Tampa 2 for his cover skills?

I think Van Noy can fit in as a 3-4 OLB. Every OLB will allow defenses to do different things. As long as he can pass rush, tackle, stop the run, and occasionally cover he can fit in. He can probably cover better than most 3-4 OLBs so that allows you to do a lot of different defensive schemes. Every good 3-4 OLB is different. Clay Matthews, Tamba Hali, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, Justin Houston, Terrell Suggs, Demarcus Ware etc..

I would look first for playmaking ability rather than fitting schemes..

I just think he's an explosive playmaker in the mold of the Honeybadger. Mathieu was probably one of my best calls in last year's draft, cuz I had him pretty much at the top while many had him as a 3rd/4th rounder. Before Mathieu's injury people were looking at him winning DROY.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This, I see him as a Lavonte David type of linebacker, very nice prospect, but not a 3-4 guy.

Lavonte David made All-pro in his second season. Maybe he may not have put up the same kind of numbers in a different scheme, but don't you think he still would have been a star in a 3-4? I think the whole idea about people not fitting in schemes may be exaggerated. I think star players can play multiple schemes well so I'd rather have a star/super-star that can play well in multiple schemes rather than an average player that fits a scheme.
I am with those who feel the 3-4 is a poor fit for him. He would get engulfed and pancaked frequently vs the run. He is a very good player that can bend the edge and rush the QB... but he needs to go to an attacking 4-3 defense as OLB. That way, he can maximize his abilities as a cover and blitz LB.
I've watched this guy for 2 years at BYU and this guy is VERY GOOD & SMART and Athletic! He can cover, he can blitz. All he has to do is get better against the run.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jd925:

Physical ability as in strength and size? I think he was double teamed a lot his Senior season..

I think Van Noy can fit in as a 3-4 OLB. Every OLB will allow defenses to do different things. As long as he can pass rush, tackle, stop the run, and occasionally cover he can fit in. He can probably cover better than most 3-4 OLBs so that allows you to do a lot of different defensive schemes. Every good 3-4 OLB is different. Clay Matthews, Tamba Hali, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, Justin Houston, Terrell Suggs, Demarcus Ware etc..

I just think he's an explosive playmaker in the mold of the Honeybadger. Mathieu was probably one of my best calls in last year's draft, cuz I had him pretty much at the top while many had him as a 3rd/4th rounder. Before Mathieu's injury people were looking at him winning DROY.

It's a question of how he made plays. And the quality that stands out most about Van Noy is that he doesn't engage and push offensive lineman in the backfield. Instead, he's able to beat blockers with an elite burst of speed to make plays in the backfield.

In addition, many of his tackles remind me of how cornerbacks and safeties tackle - tripping and wrapping the ball carriers by their feet, and not making a full bodied tackle.

So, he's got great speed and leverages when pressuring the QB, makes plays sideline to sideline, but has not demonstrated the strength to engage and beat blockers to make plays, and doesn't fully wrap up and engage in terms of tackling ability. That kind of strengths/weaknesses make him a perfect Tampa 2 OLB.

The last cover OLB we had was Manny Lawson, who left as a free agent and became a 4-3 OLB. I have yet to see a scouting report that projects Van Noy as a 3-4 OLB.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran

It's a question of how he made plays. And the quality that stands out most about Van Noy is that he doesn't engage and push offensive lineman in the backfield. Instead, he's able to beat blockers with an elite burst of speed to make plays in the backfield.

In addition, many of his tackles remind me of how cornerbacks and safeties tackle - tripping and wrapping the ball carriers by their feet, and not making a full bodied tackle.

So, he's got great speed and leverages when pressuring the QB, makes plays sideline to sideline, but has not demonstrated the strength to engage and beat blockers to make plays, and doesn't fully wrap up and engage in terms of tackling ability. That kind of strengths/weaknesses make him a perfect Tampa 2 OLB.

The last cover OLB we had was Manny Lawson, who left as a free agent and became a 4-3 OLB. I have yet to see a scouting report that projects Van Noy as a 3-4 OLB.

Gotcha. Probably a better fit as a cover OLB and his tackling/run support may be a concern, but the explosiveness and playmaking skills are rare. The only other downside is that he played in a weak conference. I think he may get picked early anyways and probably by a 4-3 team... (before pick 30). Manny wasn't really explosive.

• WWFGD
  • Veteran
Gotcha. Probably a better fit as a cover OLB and his tackling/run support may be a concern, but the explosiveness and playmaking skills are rare. The only other downside is that he played in a weak conference. I think he may get picked early anyways and probably by a 4-3 team... (before pick 30). Manny wasn't really explosive.

Weak? BYU is independent. They played Virginia, Texas, Utah, Notre Dame, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, and Washington last season. This kid is a playmaker.
Originally posted by WWFGD:

Weak? BYU is independent. They played Virginia, Texas, Utah, Notre Dame, Boise State, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, and Washington last season. This kid is a playmaker.

I am with WWFGD on this. BYU plays good teams and Van Noy showed up on every stage.
Share 49ersWebzone