LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 308 users in the forums

No C or OG early

Scanning the mocks around here it seems like the majority think we need to draft a C/G early (some as high as the 2nd round, most in the 3rd). Is it that most don't think Kilgore/Looney are good enough to start for us? IMO those 2 should get the chance to compete for the starting job and we should take an interior lineman later in the draft (4th round at the highest). We've spent a bunch of time developing these players and the reality is we're going to have to let some good vets walk this off season.

I can't see us being able to extend Kaepernick, Crabtree, Aldon and Iupati AND bring back Boldin, Whitner, Dawson. I'm thinking we let Whitner and Brown walk and cut or trade Rogers making the defensive backfield and a future play maker at WR the priorities. Add in the fact that we should still continue to develop more depth on the DL with Justin getting older & Williams/Dorsey entering contract years, I just don't see why we would spend a high pick on an interior lineman this year, maybe next.
I think that there will be no "get a chance" because the staff already knows how good they are, imo. So, if they are not sold on any of them, we will go for an interior lineman early.

McDonald, Williams and Smith seem to have solid backups for now, don't you think? Jerrod-Eddie and Dorsey are very solid and cheap. Dial at NT and Carradine at RDE are still there. Furthermore, I assume that Williams will be extended very cheap given that he hasn't proven anything so far.

Given Goodwin's "performances", we truly need a new Center. Additionally to that, Goodwin is a FA. So, Kilgore has to be THE man.
Iupati is up next year, so Looney has to be THE man here.
That leads us to a bigger need at o-line than at d-line, imho. Thus, I do understand if we go for an interior o-liner early whereas the immediate need for another d-liner is a minor one, though I do not neglect that we have to look at the d-line as a future weakness.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:43 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
I think that there will be no "get a chance" because the staff already knows how good they are, imo. So, if they are not sold on any of them, we will go for an interior lineman early.

McDonald, Williams and Smith seem to have solid backups for now, don't you think? Jerrod-Eddie and Dorsey are very solid and cheap. Dial at NT and Carradine at RDE are still there. Furthermore, I assume that Williams will be extended very cheap given that he hasn't proven anything so far.

Given Goodwin's "performances", we truly need a new Center. Additionally to that, Goodwin is a FA. So, Kilgore has to be THE man.
Iupati is up next year, so Looney has to be THE man here.
That leads us to a bigger need at o-line than at d-line, imho. Thus, I do understand if we go for an interior o-liner early whereas the immediate need for another d-liner is a minor one, though I do not neglect that we have to look at the d-line as a future weakness.

I agree with you on the lack of immediate need on the DL. I really like TJE and Dorsey, I guess I just feel like in 1-2 years tops both Justin and Ray Mac will be gone and we will need new starters along the DL, hopefully we already have them in Tank/TJE/Dorsey/Williams but we will need depth. Good point that the staff probably already knows if Kilgore/Looney will end up being the guys at C and maybe LG if Iupati isn't extended.

My point I guess is that I don't see this team drafting a C and making him the starter right away and we have more pressing needs depending on who we end up being able to keep.
I haven't seen too many mocks with anyone taking a C or G that early. I would say that there is probably no need because if they were that shaky on Kilgore or Looney, they likely would have drafted an interior O-lineman high in 2013. I agree that we should wait until next. It probably will happen should we lose Mike Iupati. With all of that said, I wouldn't be upset if they addressed the position in the third round. We have a total of 6 picks in the first three rounds and excluding trades, we can easily hit on a corner, two receivers, and a safety, while still having two more picks.

I would use one of those picks to take Dominique Easley if he's available, but only because of the value at that point in the draft. Whatever defensive lineman is drafted (pass round 2), I doubt they would get much playing time if any and would probably be a weekly inactive.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I haven't seen too many mocks with anyone taking a C or G that early. I would say that there is probably no need because if they were that shaky on Kilgore or Looney, they likely would have drafted an interior O-lineman high in 2013. I agree that we should wait until next. It probably will happen should we lose Mike Iupati. With all of that said, I wouldn't be upset if they addressed the position in the third round. We have a total of 6 picks in the first three rounds and excluding trades, we can easily hit on a corner, two receivers, and a safety, while still having two more picks.

I would use one of those picks to take Dominique Easley if he's available, but only because of the value at that point in the draft. Whatever defensive lineman is drafted (pass round 2), I doubt they would get much playing time if any and would probably be a weekly inactive.

I would love Easley also, I think he can be had in the 3rd or 4th round, would be great value. I think we'll trade up at least once on the first day or try and acquire another 2nd round pick with three 3rd rounders.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I agree with you on the lack of immediate need on the DL. I really like TJE and Dorsey, I guess I just feel like in 1-2 years tops both Justin and Ray Mac will be gone and we will need new starters along the DL, hopefully we already have them in Tank/TJE/Dorsey/Williams but we will need depth. Good point that the staff probably already knows if Kilgore/Looney will end up being the guys at C and maybe LG if Iupati isn't extended.

My point I guess is that I don't see this team drafting a C and making him the starter right away and we have more pressing needs depending on who we end up being able to keep.
I dont say that there is no need at d-line at all. I am just saying that the need in the o-line is bigger imo.
Not only that the staff will already know how good Kilgore and Looney are, I strongly ASSUME that they won't just experiment with them IF they aren't sure about them. The interior o-line have to work properly all day long, otherwise the pass-rush will shoot through the A-gaps efficiently. This would kill the running game, too.
In short: either they know how good the both are or we go for an o-liner early.

I get it but I disagree on this one. Given that Goodwin will walk, we need a starting Center NOW.
I wouldn't. Ok, we could go for him with our compensational 3rd-rounder but I do not take that chance earlier because Easley already possess an ugly history of knee injuries.
I wouldn't. Ok, we could go for him with our compensational 3rd-rounder but I do not take that chance earlier because Easley already possess an ugly history of knee injuries.

Walter Football's most recent mock has us taking him in the 4th.
If Boldin and Whitner are back then I'd be for a 2nd round center/guard combo type. If 1 or both aren't back though I think C takes a back seat to CB, WR and SS. Then I'd probably use a 3rd and get a C or C/G combo guy to compete with Kilgore for C and maybe take over for Iupati next year.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
If Boldin and Whitner are back then I'd be for a 2nd round center/guard combo type. If 1 or both aren't back though I think C takes a back seat to CB, WR and SS. Then I'd probably use a 3rd and get a C or C/G combo guy to compete with Kilgore for C and maybe take over for Iupati next year.
Have to disagree in parts. WR- and CB-class is very deep this year AND Center is a crucial position imho AND Centers are hard to find in the draft. Everything comes to the word of our staff about Kilgore.
I agree with your assessment of the need at SS completely though.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 18, 2014 at 8:36 AM ]

Have to disagree in parts. WR- and CB-class is very deep this year AND Center is a crucial position imho AND Centers are hard to find in the draft. Everything comes to the word of our staff about Kilgore.
I agree with your assessment of the need at SS completely though.

Good point the C class isn't deep at all and there might be only a few guys worth picking in the 1st 3 rounds. Like you said though it depends on what the staff thinks of Kilgore. We won't know until draft day if they think he is the center of the future. If they do then maybe we just get a c/g combo guy in the 3rd for ol depth/to compete with Kilgore at C and compete with Looney for backup G with a chance to take over for Iupati after next year if he isn't back. Maybe we don't take a C at all maybe a G/T combo guy instead. If they don't think he is the center of the future then maybe we go Swanson at 29-32 or with one of our 2nds. It's something to think about do we wait until the 3rd after taking CB, WR, SS to get a center if we don't think Kilgore is the future? Not sure we can...
I would pick Yankey or Swanson with a 2nd. Kilgore and Looney may be the answer but behind Kilgore there's 0 depth. By drafting Swanson you're getting depth, competition,,and a high ceiling player. Not to mention drafting a center for depth is much more efficient than looking to FA. You're getting a young and driven player. With the way this Oline has developed a guy like Swanson becomes a 10 year starter. He literally can do everything. He was the focal point to Arkansas potent ruahing attack. He can single block the NT, pull, peel, and man block the 2nd level.

Boone and Iupati have contract years coming up. With all the key pieces that need resigning someone is going to hit FA. Most likely a guard and although we have solid depth wth Snyder and Looney we will need another body. Why not be proactive with the Oline? Drafting a guy like Yankey gives you a G/T that can pick snap in jumbo and swing T. I really think this could be a Harbaugh pick. Yankey is essentially tailor made for this system. If he comes into training camp and starts getting it you'll motivate the entire line.

Ultimately I think the Line needa a shake up. Not a replacement of players but some fresh air in the unit. And lets be honest we're losing Iupati next year so a guard just makes sense.
we need an OG early to replace Iupati when he leaves
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would pick Yankey or Swanson with a 2nd. Kilgore and Looney may be the answer but behind Kilgore there's 0 depth. By drafting Swanson you're getting depth, competition,,and a high ceiling player. Not to mention drafting a center for depth is much more efficient than looking to FA. You're getting a young and driven player. With the way this Oline has developed a guy like Swanson becomes a 10 year starter. He literally can do everything. He was the focal point to Arkansas potent ruahing attack. He can single block the NT, pull, peel, and man block the 2nd level.

Boone and Iupati have contract years coming up. With all the key pieces that need resigning someone is going to hit FA. Most likely a guard and although we have solid depth wth Snyder and Looney we will need another body. Why not be proactive with the Oline? Drafting a guy like Yankey gives you a G/T that can pick snap in jumbo and swing T. I really think this could be a Harbaugh pick. Yankey is essentially tailor made for this system. If he comes into training camp and starts getting it you'll motivate the entire line.

Ultimately I think the Line needa a shake up. Not a replacement of players but some fresh air in the unit. And lets be honest we're losing Iupati next year so a guard just makes sense.

I like Yankey also, but I don't think we lose Iupati. We find a way to get him, Crabs, Aldon and Kaep signed IMO. I don't think Iupati will demand elite G money due to his down year this year and his desire to stay with the team.
I think Tyler Larsen in the latter rounds makes sense. WR, CB and potentially safety are clearly the biggest needs, you're not drafting depth at those positions, you really are looking for starters, either immediately or shortly down the road. If the 49ers coaching staff is sold on Kilgore, then center nearly isn't as bad of a need. I think Larsen in the early to late 3rd round would be a good guy for depth and to develop as a starter should Kilgore not pan out.

As far as guard goes, I'm all in favor of taking one, or a guard/tackle hybrid in the latter rounds. Spencer Long of Nebraska still looks to represent some of the best value of any guard in the draft. He was a guy who was looking to be a 2nd rounder, a potential immediate starter at guard and now will free-fall down the draft boards due to his injury. If the 49ers take him, let him recover from his injury, take a red-shirt year even.....he would be a potentially credible replacement for Iupati should Looney not pan out.
Share 49ersWebzone