LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 287 users in the forums

Tanking it for Clowney

Ethically it isn't right to tank. But if you want to be a cellar team or a mediocre one forever it doesn't hurt to so called "tank" a season. You can't get any worse if you draft a potential stud like Clowney. I wouldn't tank but I could see the reasoning behind doing it.
Clowney looks like a bigger, faster version of Lawrence Taylor. Aldon was supposedly a reach at 7th overall and the dude is a beast pass rusher so we know that hype isn't everything though. I personally think that he is going to be a game changer on the defensive side but tanking is BS in my opinion, Reggie Bush should have put an end to that theory.
i say we trade away our entire draft for him
Smith wasn't really a reach because he was young with extremely long arms (I'm sure NFL teams take arm length into account more than the average fan does because it matters more than height in the trenches). If Clowney has long arms which I think he does, then he's as close to a can't miss prospect as there will ever be since I don't think he has any sort of injury history and he will immediately be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. He's better than Aldon Smith right now in my opinion and way ahead of where Smith was coming out of college. Whether he goes #1 or not depends on the length of his arms, how Bridgewater does this season, and which team has the #1 pick.

NFL teams will definitely consider this because it makes sense to sacrifice a season to get a once in a generation type player if your team is currently below average. They won't admit to it, because they don't want to lose fan revenue for the year.
Get clowned for Clowney
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Smith wasn't really a reach because he was young with extremely long arms (I'm sure NFL teams take arm length into account more than the average fan does because it matters more than height in the trenches). If Clowney has long arms which I think he does, then he's as close to a can't miss prospect as there will ever be since I don't think he has any sort of injury history and he will immediately be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. He's better than Aldon Smith right now in my opinion and way ahead of where Smith was coming out of college. Whether he goes #1 or not depends on the length of his arms, how Bridgewater does this season, and which team has the #1 pick.

NFL teams will definitely consider this because it makes sense to sacrifice a season to get a once in a generation type player if your team is currently below average. They won't admit to it, because they don't want to lose fan revenue for the year.

"OK guys I want you to lose these games so that we can replace you with someone better."
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO Trent/JH would NEVER tank and NEVER give up too much for one guy.

tank a superbowl team? huh?
Originally posted by English:

"OK guys I want you to lose these games so that we can replace you with someone better."

lol yep
"He's better than Aldon Smith right now in my opinion" Uhm, hmmm Aldon had 19.5 sacks last year with a hurt shoulder and you are saying Clowney is better than that? Really? Clowney has far more hype than Aldon, but he is in no way better than him. Let's put it this way no GM would trade Aldon for Clowney straight up. Aldon has proven his talent. Clowney has to live up to that talent. Big difference.

"way ahead of where Smith was coming out of college" This is somewhat true, I doubt Clowney gets 14 sacks his rookie year on whatever crap team wins number 1. Lots of people said the same thing about Reggie Bush: can't miss, super star once a lifetime talent etc..
LOL. This guy has huge bust potential.

~ Week 1 he has his hands on his hips begging to come out of the game every chance he gets so he can rest.
~ Week 2 his foot hurts and he begs to come out of the game as much as he can to heal up.

Every once in a while he bursts through the line and makes a spectacular play. Like once every 50 plays.

You guys are getting caught up in hype and ability level. For his ability he underachieves at this point. I can't say if he will continue that or if he will be the best. But as of right now in no way would I call him the best player in college football. Maybe he will be by years end. As of now I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing hype and athletic ability potential.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

~ Week 1 he has his hands on his hips begging to come out of the game every chance he gets so he can rest.
~ Week 2 his foot hurts and he begs to come out of the game as much as he can to heal up.

Every once in a while he bursts through the line and makes a spectacular play. Like once every 50 plays.

You guys are getting caught up in hype and ability level. For his ability he underachieves at this point. I can't say if he will continue that or if he will be the best. But as of right now in no way would I call him the best player in college football. Maybe he will be by years end. As of now I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing hype and athletic ability potential.

I basically agree. So far his play this year has not matched the hype,

I suspect, but I clearly do not know, that Clowney is playing not to get hurt. If he gets hurt, his draft status will drop.

Like I said, this is just a wild guess on my part.
Originally posted by buck:

I suspect, but I clearly do not know, that Clowney is playing not to get hurt. If he gets hurt, his draft status will drop.

That's possible. So far I'm not seeing the best player in college football.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Clowney has not played a down in the NFL. It might be a year early to assert that he is better than Aldon Smith. You should at least wait a year.

Aldon Smith was never a reach. For the most part, he was unanticipated by the draft pundits and draft wizards.

It does not make sense for a team to sacrifice a year for any player.
Originally posted by buck:

You guys are crazy. The media keeps showing him tired, but he's all over the field. He's unblockable. His only problem is going to be overpursuing the play. Demarcus Ware has the same problem. They get in the backfield so quick that if you run to his side and he misses, there's a lot of green out there. They'll scheme to protect that in the pros.

He's as quick and athletic as the best LBs, only he's 30lbs larger and incredibly stronger.
[ Edited by strickac on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
You guys are crazy. .

Yes. I am.

You could be right.
Share 49ersWebzone