There are 476 users in the forums

JJ Wilcox-S-Georgia Southern

Sleeper pick. He's a player with limited experience as a safety, has also played running back and wide receiver. Has kick and punt returning experience. He did very well at the Senior Bowl and now is regarded as a mid 3rd round to mid 5th round pick. In terms of potential he's got a tremendous ceiling, but is very raw when it comes to play the safety position, however at the Senior Bowl he demonstrated impressive man to man coverage ability and outstanding athleticism. He's someone to keep an eye on. Cyprien kind of stole the show at safety but Wilcox wasn't far behind.

One season at safety was enough to take this guy from RB and slot WR that wasn't on anyone's radar to a middle round prospect, pending what happens in the Combine. He's very raw, but he's the type of guy I could see Baalke really liking, there's a lot of natural talent and potential to work with. Much like Richard Sherman, Wilcox has talked about how having played receiver helps him with trying to understand and predict what the offense is looking to do.

Sounds like a good mid-round picks.
One draft "guru" said he overheard some scouts during Senior Bowl week, they said they could see Wilcox going as high as 2nd round, and they were all "gushing" over him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
One draft "guru" said he overheard some scouts during Senior Bowl week, they said they could see Wilcox going as high as 2nd round, and they were all "gushing" over him.

I hope he doesn't go that high, he's very raw, but the 3rd round............not a problem seeing him drafted there, he's got some fantastic physical tools, has the total package to be a high quality NFL safety just needs to be coached up and develop more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM ]
This guy looks good to me. But if they start reaching for potential alot of times that can bite teams in the rear. If hes there in the 3rd and we have three picks and havent went safety yet then i say go for it.
I like Wilcox alot. I had the redskins drafting him in the third in our three round mock here. Alot of upside. Probabably wouldnt be the guy that you want taking over the starting roll from day one unless you had a backup plan since he simply doesnt have the experiance, but i think the upside is there and in a year or two i think he would be ready to rock.
"215-pound safety with corner feet," Mayock described. "I think he's an immediate starter in the NFL, he can help you on special teams. This is a guy that I've really enjoyed watching." A running back/slot receiver his first three seasons at Georgia Southern, Wilcox moved to strong safety as a senior and was a first-team all-league pick by the Southern Conference coaches. He also brings to the table kickoff return value.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"215-pound safety with corner feet," Mayock described. "I think he's an immediate starter in the NFL, he can help you on special teams. This is a guy that I've really enjoyed watching." A running back/slot receiver his first three seasons at Georgia Southern, Wilcox moved to strong safety as a senior and was a first-team all-league pick by the Southern Conference coaches. He also brings to the table kickoff return value.

good mid/late round pick a replacement for whitner next year
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

He's not going to be a late round pick, he's currently late 2nd to mid 3rd round. Very good prospect with a whole lot of upside. He definitely seems like a Baalke type of player.

He's not going to be a late round pick, he's currently late 2nd to mid 3rd round. Very good prospect with a whole lot of upside. He definitely seems like a Baalke type of player.

That sounds about right to me pick him with our late 2nd round pick I would love Wilcox as a 49er a possible replacement at Safety for Goldson

That sounds about right to me pick him with our late 2nd round pick I would love Wilcox as a 49er a possible replacement at Safety for Goldson

Still onboard for Wilcox, to me he's a hybrid-type of safety, can play free safety and strong safety, good versatility and coverage skills, I think combining him with someone like Philip Thomas, Jonathan Cyprien or Duke Williams would be outstanding.
Dude's a player, 2nd ranked rookie safety behind Reid. Beat out Will Allen to take the starting position at SS for the Cowboys. Is it kind of greedy to wonder what it would be like if the 49ers had selected him in addition to Reid?

Still onboard for Wilcox, to me he's a hybrid-type of safety, can play free safety and strong safety, good versatility and coverage skills, I think combining him with someone like Philip Thomas, Jonathan Cyprien or Duke Williams would be outstanding.

Boy was I off on Cyprien, he's been toast deluxe with the Jaguars so far this season.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Wilcox was definitely a sleeper, good call phoenix.
Excellent call Phoenix!
Share 49ersWebzone