LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 114 users in the forums

Do we draft Alshon Jeffery at #30?

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
I cant see how he looks slow unless compared to Wright or Streeter. Both are speed demons with only Wright having insane hands n great route running. Jeffery is a pure ability beast whos still very young and still growing. All who know college ball know for damn sure Spurrier would and has kicked half assers off his teams regardless of star status. Jeffery just has that kind of body type unless he strictly diets will always be chunky. He was chunky as a freshman when I met him and half the team "ARNG perk." He was chunky in his breakout season and he was chunky this last season. He will be chunky until he gets into the NFL n stops growing n gets on a pro work out regimen. Hes still insanely young, surpringly fast, quick and shifty for a 6ft4 240 WR in the SEC. He has the best hands, jumps, blocking and honestly the best route running of all this year. If he didnt his YPC wouldnt be higher than everyone elses even in his down year if he couldnt get behind defenses doubled with the s**t QBs hes had. That YPC is a solid mix of speed, jumps and route running. You can hate on his moobs n pooch but not on his numbers in the SEC for USC this year. Not unless you just wanna hate or have a man crush. It just cant be denied or looked past for a SEC WR with the situations USC went thru. Sure the dude has moobs but hes always had moobs, hes a geechy collard,ribs, fatback, oxtail eating southern boy. I dont know how to describe buddy other than that. Hes just that kind of kid despite body type you just cant ignore his natural talent and character. Teams that do will imo regret it later unless they get a speed demon like Wright or a beast pass rusher. For a WCO or RZ needy team hes a serious consideration based on what hes done so far in college despite his appearance.

Loads of fat WR's succeed in the NFL all-the time, right? This guy looks like Natrone Means, I'm not impressed.
Originally posted by Hopper:
The weight also concerns me. Just my gut feeling but I think he'll struggle getting separation from NFL CB's.

Pun intended???
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Jeffery's almost round enough to play right guard for us.

In all seriousness, pack on 20 more pounds, and he's our new complementary tight end.

Okay okay, this time REALLY in all seriousness.. I'm not a huge fan of Jeffery, but would support the pick if this staff makes it.

lol

The supposed motivation and weight problems worries me. I don't want to touch someone who isn't willing to work. The next Mike Williams won't do anything for us, we need better. I'll pass.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I cant see how he looks slow unless compared to Wright or Streeter. Both are speed demons with only Wright having insane hands n great route running. Jeffery is a pure ability beast whos still very young and still growing. All who know college ball know for damn sure Spurrier would and has kicked half assers off his teams regardless of star status. Jeffery just has that kind of body type unless he strictly diets will always be chunky. He was chunky as a freshman when I met him and half the team "ARNG perk." He was chunky in his breakout season and he was chunky this last season. He will be chunky until he gets into the NFL n stops growing n gets on a pro work out regimen. Hes still insanely young, surpringly fast, quick and shifty for a 6ft4 240 WR in the SEC. He has the best hands, jumps, blocking and honestly the best route running of all this year. If he didnt his YPC wouldnt be higher than everyone elses even in his down year if he couldnt get behind defenses doubled with the s**t QBs hes had. That YPC is a solid mix of speed, jumps and route running. You can hate on his moobs n pooch but not on his numbers in the SEC for USC this year. Not unless you just wanna hate or have a man crush. It just cant be denied or looked past for a SEC WR with the situations USC went thru. Sure the dude has moobs but hes always had moobs, hes a geechy collard,ribs, fatback, oxtail eating southern boy. I dont know how to describe buddy other than that. Hes just that kind of kid despite body type you just cant ignore his natural talent and character. Teams that do will imo regret it later unless they get a speed demon like Wright or a beast pass rusher. For a WCO or RZ needy team hes a serious consideration based on what hes done so far in college despite his appearance.

Loads of fat WR's succeed in the NFL all-the time, right? This guy looks like Natrone Means, I'm not impressed.

You keep saying fat like buddy is 20-30 lbs over weight and cant get behind defenses or jump like he does. Its not like he pulled a Mike Williams showing up at 260. Id like you to show me 1 photo where buddy doesnt look chunky or 1 example Spurrier lets a half assing player silde. Jeffery has always been 230 -240 but he still runs routes to get behind defenses while doubled. Its not like Carolina had many weapons after Lattimore went down on offense or before. Unless you wanna come out and say teams didnt focus on him. Which would only show you know s**t and just wanna hate. If Garcia didnt self destruct or if Shaw didnt wanna tuck n run Jeffery would have another 1000 yd season. In the SEC that imo means something but you can keep on hating Phoenix. Jeffery has the stats,size,hands,blocking,route running to be worthy of a 1st rd grade. All you got against him is his body type. Why dont you talk s**t about his stats or compare his career numbers vs other WRs? Good luck with that
If he's committed to lose weight and shows positive character then i will love to have him
You keep saying fat like buddy is 20-30 lbs over weight and cant get behind defenses or jump like he does. Its not like he pulled a Mike Williams showing up at 260. Id like you to show me 1 photo where buddy doesnt look chunky or 1 example Spurrier lets a half assing player silde. Jeffery has always been 230 -240 but he still runs routes to get behind defenses while doubled. Its not like Carolina had many weapons after Lattimore went down on offense or before. Unless you wanna come out and say teams didnt focus on him. Which would only show you know s**t and just wanna hate. If Garcia didnt self destruct or if Shaw didnt wanna tuck n run Jeffery would have another 1000 yd season. In the SEC that imo means something but you can keep on hating Phoenix. Jeffery has the stats,size,hands,blocking,route running to be worthy of a 1st rd grade. All you got against him is his body type. Why dont you talk s**t about his stats or compare his career numbers vs other WRs? Good luck with that

That's great and all, I understand that you met the guy and had a "moment" or whatever, but he's plummeting down the draft boards for very good reason. There's major questions about his ability to separate from pro-level cornerbacks. That's a HUGE negative on a pro receiver, especially for the 49ers who have a team full of guys who already can't separate from coverage. The fact that the guy is chubby is another downside, how many pro receivers do you see showing up in the kind of shape that this guy entered his final college season in? Zip, zero, none. Any additional weight is simply a hindrance, period, so whether its genetic case of can't-keep-food-out-of-his-mouth syndrome or not, the guy has made himself seem very questionable.

Also you talk about the guy like he's the only #1 receiver in the unique situation of having the defense key in on him, LOL........are you for real? You don't think Sanu, Floyd, Criner and a lot of other guys had the same exact issues without being fat b*****ds?

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
This guy is a prime example of why the Combine and private workouts are important. He was fantastic in 2010, but fell off a little bit this year. Was that because of South Carolina's QB situation being in flux or did this kid get lazy? If he shows up in shape and shows halfway decent speed, he would be a steal at #30. If he shows up fat and slow, the Niners should take a pass on him.

this

That's great and all, I understand that you met the guy and had a "moment" or whatever, but he's plummeting down the draft boards for very good reason. There's major questions about his ability to separate from pro-level cornerbacks. That's a HUGE negative on a pro receiver, especially for the 49ers who have a team full of guys who already can't separate from coverage. The fact that the guy is chubby is another downside, how many pro receivers do you see showing up in the kind of shape that this guy entered his final college season in? Zip, zero, none. Any additional weight is simply a hindrance, period, so whether its genetic case of can't-keep-food-out-of-his-mouth syndrome or not, the guy has made himself seem very questionable.

Also you talk about the guy like he's the only #1 receiver in the unique situation of having the defense key in on him, LOL........are you for real? You don't think Sanu, Floyd, Criner and a lot of other guys had the same exact issues without being fat b*****ds?

LMFAO Are you really using that pic as a example of his fatness? Sanu is a 1 year wonder from Rutgers who do not even come close to the level of competition as Jeffery and Sanu isnt even considered to be faster than Jeffery. He doesnt even have the hands, routes, jumps or natural talent that Jeffery does. The only guy who does that you named is Floyd who has some serious character issues but still has the same speed concerns. Criner? Seriously Criner wtf dude buddy isnt and hasnt even been considered a 1st rd talent. Im gonna ignore you even mentioned that 3rd rd pick in the company of Jeffery, Floyd and Sanu. Its hilarious you even brought that dude up imo. s**t dude youre trashing a dude who shat on Dennard put up 148 yds n a TD while getting booted in the 3rd because the big east refs cant tell a push from a punch. All while in your words being fat n lazy lmao. Dude you even watch SEC ball? Wait do you even watch college football?
LMFAO Are you really using that pic as a example of his fatness? Sanu is a 1 year wonder from Rutgers who do not even come close to the level of competition as Jeffery and Sanu isnt even considered to be faster than Jeffery. He doesnt even have the hands, routes, jumps or natural talent that Jeffery does. The only guy who does that you named is Floyd who has some serious character issues but still has the same speed concerns. Criner? Seriously Criner wtf dude buddy isnt and hasnt even been considered a 1st rd talent. Im gonna ignore you even mentioned that 3rd rd pick in the company of Jeffery, Floyd and Sanu. Its hilarious you even brought that dude up imo. s**t dude youre trashing a dude who shat on Dennard put up 148 yds n a TD while getting booted in the 3rd because the big east refs cant tell a push from a punch. All while in your words being fat n lazy lmao. Dude you even watch SEC ball? Wait do you even watch college football?

Dennard? The same guy who is free-falling because he got toasted at the Senior Bowl? Bottomline, fat receivers don't work in the NFL, guys who can't separate from cornerbacks don't work in the NFL, Jeffery is a big bust waiting to happen. Getting booted out of a bowl game is the least of the concerns, this is a guy who has shown he can't deal well with adversity and if you're under the impression that the NFL is some sort of cupcake league, I assure you it is not, not to mention there aren't any wide receivers who walk around resembling the Stay-Puff marshmellow man.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM ]

sanu has no weaknesses and he has only played WR for 2 years in his life

that is what i call a natural WR with tremendous upside

no hes not fast hes not a deep threat but he is quick and is a playmaker with arguably the best hands in draft

he isbt a body catcher and attacks the ball at highest point and has long arms and big hands makes him a premiere RZ target as well

jefferey is decent but he has no seperation skills he uses his frame and big body to rely on catching the ball he also has great hands but i see him only as a RZ threat in the nfl he will have huge problems seperating against the good nfl corner

example jeronis jenkins completely shut him down eventhough he is 5 10 he is considered one of the safest most fundamentally sound CB in draft and honestly i dont think he can beat the nfl level CB except in the RZ
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM ]

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
sanu has no weaknesses and he has only played WR for 2 years in his life

that is what i call a natural WR with tremendous upside

no hes not fast hes not a deep threat but he is quick and is a playmaker with arguably the best hands in draft

he isbt a body catcher and attacks the ball at highest point and has long arms and big hands makes him a premiere RZ target as well

jefferey is decent but he has no seperation skills he uses his frame and big body to rely on catching the ball he also has great hands but i see him only as a RZ threat in the nfl he will have huge problems seperating against the good nfl corner

example jeronis jenkins completely shut him down eventhough he is 5 10 he is considered one of the safest most fundamentally sound CB in draft and honestly i dont think he can beat the nfl level CB except in the RZ

This. At this point I feel more comfortable with Sanu, far more comfortable. When you see clips of Jeffery you see him primarily using his size to make catches, dragging db's along at times, in the NFL he's not going to be able to get away with that. He CAN'T separate, he has NOT shown any ability to separate, this year he regressed back to his freshman status, he also came into the season grossly out of shape and overweight. You can argue QB issues or whatever but realistically, the guy is going to get locked down on the pro level, his football speed isn't all that great, he can't get away from college defensive backs, what makes anyone think he can get away from pro-level defensive backs?

I see Sanu as having a much bigger ceiling and much more impressive in terms of separation and getting around or past a defensive back. Jeffery is big, he plays slow, he has strong body control and can go up and make catches, but that only helps if you can get some separation from a defensive back and he can't, he's even worse than Crabtree in that regard. Crabtree is a guy who was a far better prospect in college than Jeffery and now you've seen the struggles that he's having. Sanu has a lot more upside.

Frankly, I'd rather avoid a lot of these guys and take Streeter who is very raw but has a tremendous ceiling. Let Harbaugh and Co. work with him for a year or two and wind up with a potentially dominant true #1 receiver.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM ]

Dennard? The same guy who is free-falling because he got toasted at the Senior Bowl? Bottomline, fat receivers don't work in the NFL, guys who can't separate from cornerbacks don't work in the NFL, Jeffery is a big bust waiting to happen. Getting booted out of a bowl game is the least of the concerns, this is a guy who has shown he can't deal well with adversity and if you're under the impression that the NFL is some sort of cupcake league, I assure you it is not, not to mention there aren't any wide receivers who walk around resembling the Stay-Puff marshmellow man.

LOL You have no clue about Jeffery and its obvious. You also have no idea what fat is either because Jeffery sure as f**k aint fat lol. He has the same body type now as he had as a freshman. Hes just the kind of type. Adversity youre out of your mind. Buddy dealt with s**t QBs, school, work, sports and a NCAA investigation and still put up a solid year despite that. Before that Jeffery dominated the SEC and put up enough production to be one of USC Gamecocks greatest WRs. No small feat in the SEC and with his QBs and moobs. 762 yds 8 TDs 15.6 YPC on 49 RECs while being fat n slow cmon dude really? Check his highlights of his blocking for Lattimore dude. Read what ol fun n gun says about him. Hes a a hell of a prospect and damn near perfect fit for any WCO or RZ needy team. I wouldnt pass up any top pass rusher or CB for him but at 30 hes a real steal.
LOL You have no clue about Jeffery and its obvious. You also have no idea what fat is either because Jeffery sure as f**k aint fat lol. He has the same body type now as he had as a freshman. Hes just the kind of type. Adversity youre out of your mind. Buddy dealt with s**t QBs, school, work, sports and a NCAA investigation and still put up a solid year despite that. Before that Jeffery dominated the SEC and put up enough production to be one of USC Gamecocks greatest WRs. No small feat in the SEC and with his QBs and moobs. 762 yds 8 TDs 15.6 YPC on 49 RECs while being fat n slow cmon dude really? Check his highlights of his blocking for Lattimore dude. Read what ol fun n gun says about him. Hes a a hell of a prospect and damn near perfect fit for any WCO or RZ needy team. I wouldnt pass up any top pass rusher or CB for him but at 30 hes a real steal.

That's all fine and dandy, the guy still can't get separation for s**t. When a wide receiver has a defender draped all over him almost everytime he catches the ball, its a good sign that he's not getting the separation he needs to which is why Rob Rang is comparing him to former draft bust Mike Williams. A wide receiver can be a lot of things and succeed in the NFL, not having the greatest 40 time, questionable hands at times, not ultra-physical, not a great blocker, a wide receiver however can't be both fat and unable to get separation from junior-level NCAA cornerback's.

Upon Further Review highlights a player whose performance over the weekend significantly altered my earlier assessment. Last year, South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery made a mockery of SEC defenses catching 88 passes for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns on his way to All-America honors. Through 10 games this season: 38 catches for 504 yards and five touchdowns. He was limited to two catches for 17 yards Saturday by Florida. It is the fourth consecutive game the 2011 Biletnikoff Award finalist has been held under 25 receiving yards. Some are chalking up Jeffery's mediocre production as simply a by-product of the Gamecocks' season-long struggle to find consistent quarterback play. The truth: Jeffery is overrated. In his first two seasons, Jeffery used his size and physicality to gain position on defensive backs. With defenses sucked up to try and contain Marcus Lattimore last season, Jeffery was often able to exploit single coverage, break a tackle and gain yardage -- sometimes big yardage -- after the catch. With defenders not in position to stop him, Jeffery appeared to possess explosiveness. This season the rare talent playing cornerback in the SEC has exposed Jeffery's lack of explosiveness. He's not getting the ball as much this season, in large part because he isn't getting open. Jeffery reminds me a great deal of another former USC receiver -- Southern California's Mike Williams (now with the Seattle Seahawks). Like Williams, Jeffery's NFL-caliber traits are his size, strength, soft hands and hand-eye coordination. Due to each man's ability to make the catch even with defenders draped over them, many of Williams' and Jeffery's receptions are memorable plays. The reality is both need to make plays with defenders clutching at them as neither has the agility or straight-line speed to consistently get open in the NFL.
That's all fine and dandy, the guy still can't get separation for s**t. When a wide receiver has a defender draped all over him almost everytime he catches the ball, its a good sign that he's not getting the separation he needs to which is why Rob Rang is comparing him to former draft bust Mike Williams. A wide receiver can be a lot of things and succeed in the NFL, not having the greatest 40 time, questionable hands at times, not ultra-physical, not a great blocker, a wide receiver however can't be both fat and unable to get separation from junior-level NCAA cornerback's.

Upon Further Review highlights a player whose performance over the weekend significantly altered my earlier assessment. Last year, South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery made a mockery of SEC defenses catching 88 passes for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns on his way to All-America honors. Through 10 games this season: 38 catches for 504 yards and five touchdowns. He was limited to two catches for 17 yards Saturday by Florida. It is the fourth consecutive game the 2011 Biletnikoff Award finalist has been held under 25 receiving yards. Some are chalking up Jeffery's mediocre production as simply a by-product of the Gamecocks' season-long struggle to find consistent quarterback play. The truth: Jeffery is overrated. In his first two seasons, Jeffery used his size and physicality to gain position on defensive backs. With defenses sucked up to try and contain Marcus Lattimore last season, Jeffery was often able to exploit single coverage, break a tackle and gain yardage -- sometimes big yardage -- after the catch. With defenders not in position to stop him, Jeffery appeared to possess explosiveness. This season the rare talent playing cornerback in the SEC has exposed Jeffery's lack of explosiveness. He's not getting the ball as much this season, in large part because he isn't getting open. Jeffery reminds me a great deal of another former USC receiver -- Southern California's Mike Williams (now with the Seattle Seahawks). Like Williams, Jeffery's NFL-caliber traits are his size, strength, soft hands and hand-eye coordination. Due to each man's ability to make the catch even with defenders draped over them, many of Williams' and Jeffery's receptions are memorable plays. The reality is both need to make plays with defenders clutching at them as neither has the agility or straight-line speed to consistently get open in the NFL.

hey thats exactly what i said
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Do you think Jeffery is going to get enough separation from NFL CB's? That's the biggest question about him and as Phoenix mentioned our biggest area of need from our WR's.
[ Edited by Hopper on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone