There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MOCK OFFSEASON

We see the top organizations in the NFL maintain their dominance with sound off-seasons, shrewd drafting, and making tough decisions on who to resign. With a solid young core up and down our roster, its easy to say keep everyone and give it another go in 2012. This is my thoughts on how things could turn out if some of the guys everyone says to keep wind up leaving.

Key FA losses:
Rogers- Too much money to give a 31 year old corner
Brooks- We cant have a star at every position. He's not a star , but someone will pay him like one

Let Walk:
Rachal

Resign;
Goldson (Franchise Tag)
Morgan- When healthy might beat Crabs or be our 3rd guy
Ginn- He sholud be our 5th WR and concentrate on KR
Spillman- Could be future starting safety
Costanzo- Won't cost much, ST DEMON
Gooden- In addition to ST, he can play all LB spots
Snyder- If we bring in someone that beats him out great, if not we stay intact
Alex- How much we pay him will be interesting/ Is CK the future?
Grant- 3rd round tender will keep him around

Restructure:
Haralson- He's due 2.7 million I think but is only a 2 down player, or a backup
Spencer- Everyone assumes he's gonna get cut, might be wise to keep him around if Rogers walks even at 3.2M

Key Additions:
WR Vincent Jackson- A true verticle threat that improves the whole WR core. Teams 2nd CB would be covering Crabs/Morgan. Money saved from letting Rogers walk.
OLB Manny Lawson- He's not Aldon but doesn't need to be. Might be a pipe dream but an effective affordable option. He played in 2011 on a 1yr 3.5M
CB Richard Marshall- Has had several solid yet unspectacular seasons, kinda like Rogers before 2011. Can also play Safety
DL Abrayu Franklin- Didnt fit Saints 4-3, career winding down, provide depth to our DL

Draft:
Trade our 1st (#30) to Dolphins for their 2nd (#42) and 3rd (#73) Dolphins move up to draft Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2. #42 Chase Minnifield CB Virginia 6'0 190- Eventual starter
2. Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia 6'2 245- He has been well mentioned on the zone
3. #73 Ladarious Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette 6'6 240- After addressing the needs on defense we add a huge target to our offense
3. Brian Quick WR Appalachian St 6'4 222- Adds youth/size to the position and isnt needed to start right away
4. Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh 6'5 310- Competition for Snyder
5. Derek Wolfe DT/DE Cincinnati 6'5 290- Justin Smith type, also well mentioned on the zone
6. Marc Tyler RB USC 5'11 230- Short yardage back to compete with Dixon
7. Traded for 2013 5th rounder
[ Edited by davidboutte on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM ]
i like the draft dont like a wr approaching 30 and paying him the amount hes gonna demand, and hoping rogers takes a cap friendly deal just to be on a winning team with a great defense intact with room to get better
I would still like to get Brooks back but I do like the Haralson adjustment. I think that Aldon Smith can handle the ROLB on a full time basis and I think Bruce Irvin/Curry would be a good fit there to groom for Pass rushing and development.

I think it would be good if we could get Rogers for 2-3 years but no more.

I see no need of Lawson or Franklin.

I like L. Green for TE; Quick, Wolfe, Tyler for our draft.

Basically I like the draft.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I would still like to get Brooks back but I do like the Haralson adjustment. I think that Aldon Smith can handle the ROLB on a full time basis and I think Bruce Irvin/Curry would be a good fit there to groom for Pass rushing and development.

I think it would be good if we could get Rogers for 2-3 years but no more.

I see no need of Lawson or Franklin.

I like L. Green for TE; Quick, Wolfe, Tyler for our draft.

Basically I like the draft.

Figured I'd get flack on franklin and lawson but depth at those positions is critical. I just dont want to rely on rookies to have to strart/perform out of the gate.
get ryan tannehill?

really after we signed alex and drafted kaep

that itself is fail
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
get ryan tannehill?

really after we signed alex and drafted kaep

that itself is fail

REREAD BUDDY, you will feel better
Fail. Don't like it all.
i think rogers will come back. but dont see manny and franklin returning. but good draft.
I don't know if V. Jackson is going to be affordable for us. I also don't see Manny and Franklin returning (you miss them huh? lol) I do like your draft however, especially the Quick and Wolfe picks.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I don't know if V. Jackson is going to be affordable for us. I also don't see Manny and Franklin returning (you miss them huh? lol) I do like your draft however, especially the Quick and Wolfe picks.

Lawson and Franklin did a good job for us in their roles. They left thinking they were worth more then they are. I think they are EXAMPLES of quality veteran pickups that should take modest money. The point is to shore up holes with cheap vets and draft for depth. Lawson and Irvin at 1 OLB spot would make me feel good.
DB:
I like the trade back idea and especially if we could get high end 2nd rounders. I would like Minnifield, Curry, Fleener. If we could stack up the second round players that would be great.

It will be interesting to see what Harbaalke think of Williams, Tukuafu, RJF, and Dobbs as back ups. So in theory we may already have our backups in place. If so we can focus more on D Backfield, RB, WRs, RG, Punt and Kick off returns.
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
DB:
I like the trade back idea and especially if we could get high end 2nd rounders. I would like Minnifield, Curry, Fleener. If we could stack up the second round players that would be great.

It will be interesting to see what Harbaalke think of Williams, Tukuafu, RJF, and Dobbs as back ups. So in theory we may already have our backups in place. If so we can focus more on D Backfield, RB, WRs, RG, Punt and Kick off returns.

I agree completely. DL is set if they think highly of our young guys you mentioned. Wolfe in the 5th seems like a value if they want another body in the rotation. I'm curious how that plays out. I would have liked to see our young guys get some time but we were playing for playoff seeding ect. DB's, WR's, another RB and even a playmaker at TE are areas I'd like to see addressed with depth. I do believe the 2nd and even 3rd round is where the value is in this draft after the top 10-15 players are gone. The WR position after Floyd, Wright, and Blackmon for example seems similar yet deep thru the 3rd round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,440
Wow I'd be really shocked if we got Tannehill, but I really don't think he'll fall outta the 1st round. Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to have him, but its pretty much wishful thinking that he does fall that far. Derek Wolfe is another pick I love, again, really doubt he falls that far, unless of course hes got some off-field issues, poor work ethic or sudden injury.

Love your draft and trust me I hope it works out that way.
Love the draft but I don't think it's realistic b/c those guys are going to be off the board at those selections.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow I'd be really shocked if we got Tannehill, but I really don't think he'll fall outta the 1st round. Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to have him, but its pretty much wishful thinking that he does fall that far. Derek Wolfe is another pick I love, again, really doubt he falls that far, unless of course hes got some off-field issues, poor work ethic or sudden injury.

Love your draft and trust me I hope it works out that way.

You were the 2nd person that read Tannehill to 49ers.....We traded down to get a 2 and a 3 so the MIAMI DOLPHINS could select Tannehill with our 30th in round 1. We then took CB Minnifield with the 2 and TE L Green with the 3.