LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 332 users in the forums

Praise for Baalke

Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah let praise him for continuously reaching throughout the entire draft.

Like everything else on paper it may seem like a reach, but they don't play on paper. Plus coaches have a great say how the players develope. As Chris Berman likes to say....and thats why they play the game.

You won't know till after three years.

I'm all for development, but somtimes you can see that you clearly picked a winner.

Last years draft that was iupati. Unfortunately, they missed on the rest of the draft full of these developmental players. A. Davis still looks promising as a developmental player but Bowman and Mays looked god awful at times...

The best player after Iupati drafted may have been Phillip Adams...

Another note is that no QB was drafted last year. Why? Instead we get Kyle Willims...
DP

[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 10, 2011 at 22:49:19 ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I'm not saying that Culliver can't become a good player. He definitely has the tools and with proper coaching, he can be a pretty good player. I just had Johnny Patrick rated above him as a player.

How fast was Patrick? Maybe he was too slow for what Fangio wants to do just as I am too lazy to look up Patricks 40.

Draft Countdown says Patrick runs a 4.55 40. Not exactly a burner for a CB. He is also slightly smaller than Culliver.

From what I understand though, he is still a very good prospect. I certainly wouldn't have been disappointed had the Niners taken him. They did work him out however, and ended up taking Culliver. Guess they liked the raw fast guy a little better.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I sure hope Baalke was not pounding the table for Mays, Rachal and Balmer.

His fingerprints on this draft will pretty much come down to these two players: Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. If Gabbert ends up the better pro, and a solid franchise QB, as I expect, then Baalke will be known as the guy who passed on him for a redshirt sophomore OLB.

Gonna pass on praising him now. The Niners' fans were elated with new head coach Mike Singletary about two years ago.

P.S. I graded this draft class below average compared to the other teams in the draft, but will be pleased to eat crow if wrong.

Baalke had nothing to do with the Balmer and Chilo pick!

See people don't read the truth, if you gonna blame then blame Harbaugh, he wanted CK and Dalton in that order, Baalke relied on JH's judgement on QB, if Baalke was told that BG was the man and we need to get him, then I am sure he would have, but we didn't. As for the comment known as passing on BG for sophmore OLB, not if CK turns out better than BG. Also, I would rate this draft on how the over all scheme of things turns out not just two picks. Does any turn out to be a Don Griffin, Time McKyer or Jeff Fuller, Keena Turner, Tom Rathman, Jessie Sapolu, John Taylor etc.

But yes I will save praise and chastisement till after four-five years.

[ Edited by WildBill on May 11, 2011 at 12:51:02 ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i like baalke a lot he has shpwn he isnt afraid to get his guy last year it was davis this year it was kaepernick

hopefully next year it will be a good CB

Baalke shpwned the draft.

That Culliver pick will forever bother me unless the guy at least turns into Shawntae Spencer.

3rd round picks that don't turn into solid starters bother you?

IMO the 3rd is the quintessential round in which you've done well if you get a solid starter.

If he is a solid Nickel in a couple years I'll be totally happy.

Every team reaches during the draft. A team's draft board could be completely different from what we see from the guys at NFLN or ESPN.

Time will tell if these picks are good or not, but its very early to start praising anyone.
Secondary coach Donatell had a voice in the DB's picked...and he obviously liked Culliver. I just think it's hard to second-guess him at this point, and Baalke for taking him in the 3rd rd. Culliver's got the size and speed to succeed...it's Donatell's job to coach him up, just as it is w/Mays. Again, Harbaugh selected guys not necessarily for what they are now...but for what he sees them can become. He and Baalke seem to be on the same page...so we'll see how that works out. I have a good feeling about their partnership...so we need the season to test it.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Every team reaches during the draft. A team's draft board could be completely different from what we see from the guys at NFLN or ESPN.

No don't speak intelligently. This is the WZ, we overreact and exaggerate everything!

So true

His fingerprints on this draft will pretty much come down to these two players: Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick. If Gabbert ends up the better pro, and a solid franchise QB, as I expect, then Baalke will be known as the guy who passed on him for a redshirt sophomore OLB.

Gonna pass on praising him now. The Niners' fans were elated with new head coach Mike Singletary about two years ago.

P.S. I graded this draft class below average compared to the other teams in the draft, but will be pleased to eat crow if wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Baalke wasn't the main voice on the Mays, Rachal, Balmer picks. Mays seemed very much like a Singletary pick. Sing threw him out on the field to basically learn the position and not having the right technique. As far as Rachal and Balmer, those look like McCloughan/Nolan picks there.

Something was clearly wrong with Gabbert, which is why he dropped to 10. IMO, he was overrated ever since Luck decided to stay in school. Both he and Newton weren't even discussed in the top 10 at that time. Gabbert is just as much a project as guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, Locker, etc. I see no huge differences in skill on the field. It's all up to coaching now.

I'm pretty sure that Baalke wasn't the main voice on the Mays, Rachal, Balmer picks. Mays seemed very much like a Singletary pick. Sing threw him out on the field to basically learn the position and not having the right technique. As far as Rachal and Balmer, those look like McCloughan/Nolan picks there.

Something was clearly wrong with Gabbert, which is why he dropped to 10. IMO, he was overrated ever since Luck decided to stay in school. Both he and Newton weren't even discussed in the top 10 at that time. Gabbert is just as much a project as guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, Locker, etc. I see no huge differences in skill on the field. It's all up to coaching now.

Good points, 69er... I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Nolan and Sing no longer have a say in the Niner drafts. That being said, I wonder sometimes if Baalke listens to the coaches a bit too much instead of just making the final decision himself. I can certainly understand the first 2 picks of this draft because the need for a pass rusher and a QB was so great. Some of the later picks that have left guys like OTC and Maddog scratching their heads do invite questions about the Niners' current draft evaluation process. I think that is fair to say.

Of course, it may be the case that the coaching staff indeed convinced Baalke that taking guys like Culliver, Kilgore, and and Holcomb were really the best guys on the board at the time. What can one say at this time? We can only hope that the 9er brass are right.

Originally posted by nw9erfan:

Good points, 69er... I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Nolan and Sing no longer have a say in the Niner drafts. That being said, I wonder sometimes if Baalke listens to the coaches a bit too much instead of just making the final decision himself. I can certainly understand the first 2 picks of this draft because the need for a pass rusher and a QB was so great. Some of the later picks that have left guys like OTC and Maddog scratching their heads do invite questions about the Niners' current draft evaluation process. I think that is fair to say.

Of course, it may be the case that the coaching staff indeed convinced Baalke that taking guys like Culliver, Kilgore, and and Holcomb were really the best guys on the board at the time. What can one say at this time? We can only hope that the 9er brass are right.

This is how I see things developing, Ballke and the scouts outside the coaches sets the board, based on what the coaches require from their players, and the players talent. Then as the draft goes he adjusts You may feel that he listens to the coaches too much, but how are you going to get the player that fits the system of D and O that they are going to employ. Like some DBs are good in press coverage some are better in zone, some can be physical or blitz, recover etc., just like some are better at 3-4 others 4-3.

As Baalke gets more familiar with what the OC and DC likes to do, his draft and board will be adjusted based on that as well as BPA.

Like a lot of people liked Quinn, but perhaps they felt Quinn would not make it as a OLB and would flourish only in a 4-3 as a DE. Where as Smith playing DE, DT, OLB. Fangio likes that cause he can move Smith all over causing confusion and match up problems.

Mays WAS a Singletary pick!!! Baalke wanted to pick Javier Arenas.
I know, you all are going to say source; sorry, can't tell you but I that's the inside story
Originally posted by BodyRocker:

Mays WAS a Singletary pick!!! Baalke wanted to pick Javier Arenas.
I know, you all are going to say source; sorry, can't tell you but I that's the inside story

i still like the mays pick he has all the upside in the world also he is a willing learner and has great work wthic we have a great DB coach now i think he will be ready to start in 2 years
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I do like Baalke's approach. The Culliver pick bothered me a bit, but the Bruce Miller pick all but made up for it. I just hope Culliver turns out decent and Johnny Patrick doesn't become an all star.

I think many of you are not recognizing what the Niners were thinking with the Culliver pick.

First, Culliver was considered by many to be the second ranked FS in the entire draft. That alone would warrant the 80th pick. Maddog had him rated exactly at 80th on his draft board (good call, MD!). Plus, with D Goldson a FA and coming off a poor season and little depth behind him, FS is a strong need on this team.

Now, that being said, the Niners believe that Culliver has the raw skills and speed to play CB. Culliver only played CB for half of a college season so he has very little experience at that position. The Niners think that, with proper coaching, he can play on the corner. If that turns out to be the case, then great. If it turns out that he can't play CB for whatever reason, he can probably be a very solid starter at FS. Win/win...IMHO.

For those of you who think Culliver is another Reggie Smith.....that is an understandable sentiment. Here is the difference. Culliver is a much better athlete. This guy is 6', 200 lbs. and can run a 4.4 40! How many FSs can run a 4.4? Not many. The Niners realized that the needed to upgrade the speed in their secondary and they truly did that. Colin Jones ran a 4.36 40 and he is a SS!! At the very least, the Niners have 2 safety prospects who can absolutely fly.

Lastly, many think that secondary coach Ed Donatell lobbied for the Culliver pick. Point being that Baalke respects and listens to his coaching staff......which spent months researching these picks. Just saying.

I'm not saying that Culliver can't become a good player. He definitely has the tools and with proper coaching, he can be a pretty good player. I just had Johnny Patrick rated above him as a player.

The Culliver pick had me boggled too, but that's only because I was thinking NT and wanted Sione Fua. But also wanted Johnny Patrick too, we needed more of a true CB at the position.

I think its his height and physicality that fits in with what Fangio wants to do. We will be a pass rush team first and what good is a pass rush if you have a short corner who gets out-jumped for balls...cough...Clements.

A CB doesn't need elite speed if the plan is to hit the receiver off his route and compete for jump balls a pressured QB will quickly throw up.

But its still remains to be seen if Culliver can indeed play CB. Sure our staff may think he can, but will it actually translate??
Originally posted by Joecool:
I do like Baalke's approach. The Culliver pick bothered me a bit, but the Bruce Miller pick all but made up for it. I just hope Culliver turns out decent and Johnny Patrick doesn't become an all star.

I think many of you are not recognizing what the Niners were thinking with the Culliver pick.

First, Culliver was considered by many to be the second ranked FS in the entire draft. That alone would warrant the 80th pick. Maddog had him rated exactly at 80th on his draft board (good call, MD!). Plus, with D Goldson a FA and coming off a poor season and little depth behind him, FS is a strong need on this team.

Now, that being said, the Niners believe that Culliver has the raw skills and speed to play CB. Culliver only played CB for half of a college season so he has very little experience at that position. The Niners think that, with proper coaching, he can play on the corner. If that turns out to be the case, then great. If it turns out that he can't play CB for whatever reason, he can probably be a very solid starter at FS. Win/win...IMHO.

For those of you who think Culliver is another Reggie Smith.....that is an understandable sentiment. Here is the difference. Culliver is a much better athlete. This guy is 6', 200 lbs. and can run a 4.4 40! How many FSs can run a 4.4? Not many. The Niners realized that the needed to upgrade the speed in their secondary and they truly did that. Colin Jones ran a 4.36 40 and he is a SS!! At the very least, the Niners have 2 safety prospects who can absolutely fly.

Lastly, many think that secondary coach Ed Donatell lobbied for the Culliver pick. Point being that Baalke respects and listens to his coaching staff......which spent months researching these picks. Just saying.

The Culliver pick had me boggled too, but that's only because I was thinking NT and wanted Sione Fua. But also wanted Johnny Patrick too, we needed more of a true CB at the position.

I think its his height and physicality that fits in with what Fangio wants to do. We will be a pass rush team first and what good is a pass rush if you have a short corner who gets out-jumped for balls...cough...Clements.

A CB doesn't need elite speed if the plan is to hit the receiver off his route and compete for jump balls a pressured QB will quickly throw up.

But its still remains to be seen if Culliver can indeed play CB. Sure our staff may think he can, but will it actually translate??

Jed or Harbaugh should have Lott talk to him and coach him. Lott made the ceonversion from S in College to CB in the pros. Help him make the transition. Plus officially Lott is not a employee of the 49ers, so he can talk and coach shop, if Culliver is smart he would seek him out.
Share 49ersWebzone